HH Shrimp Boil?

mcjeff

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at HH the week before Easter in a Grand Villa. I just found out that they will be having the "Low Country Shrimp Boil" while we are there. Can anyone tell me about this event? Is it worth doing? Worth the money? What's the entertainment? Would you recommend it? What's on the menu and are drinks included? What night of the week do they usually have this event? Any and all info. would be a big help , since I am planning an itinerary for 12 people. Thanks in advance!

McJeff

We went to the shrimp boil 2 yrs. ago and thought it was well worth it- If I remember correctly, the boil was held in a good size picnic area and food was bar-b-que style-all u can eat- shrimp, corn on the cob, sausage, beans etc... drinks provided included beer, wine or pop and desserts (brownies, cookies, cake) as well. It was on a weekday and the entertainment was a guy by the name of Belu Crabbe- an employee at Disney who plays the guitar and makes baloon animals for the kids- his music is more bluegrass and he was very talented. The whole thing lasted about 2.5 hours and we had a good time- there were groups of people with kids as well as people without kids- it was pretty crowded so reservations are a must, but you should enjoy it- I'd do it again for sure next time wer're at HH. Hope this helps-

R.J.'s Dad said:
We went to the shrimp boil 2 yrs. ago and thought it was well worth it- If I remember correctly, the boil was held in a good size picnic area and food was bar-b-que style-all u can eat- shrimp, corn on the cob, sausage, beans etc... drinks provided included beer, wine or pop and desserts (brownies, cookies, cake) as well. It was on a weekday and the entertainment was a guy by the name of Belu Crabbe- an employee at Disney who plays the guitar and makes baloon animals for the kids- his music is more bluegrass and he was very talented. The whole thing lasted about 2.5 hours and we had a good time- there were groups of people with kids as well as people without kids- it was pretty crowded so reservations are a must, but you should enjoy it- I'd do it again for sure next time wer're at HH. Hope this helps-

I think there is a separate charge for beer and wine.... :drinking1

We did the Shrimp Boil last April. Overall, it was fun. The food was ok, not great but not bad. The entertainment was good. Our toddlers especially enjoyed the entertainment. It was not a great value. We did other things during our 8 night stay that were more memorable. No regrets in doing it but could not have been better.

We have done the shrimp boil going on four times now. It is well worth the money. All the other years beer was included. The food is great and very relaxing laid back time. We are going the end of April this year and my kids have it down that we have to do the shrimp boil our last night! Worth a try.

For this northern girl, sitting under the live oaks , on the edge of the marsh,enjoying plenty of shrimp and corn etc, while listening to the bluegrass music of B'lu Crabbe as the day winds down, was a very memorable experience. There was something very South Carolina and somewhat timeless about the whole experience. I enjoyed it so much I learned how to have a shrimp boil here at home(Lady and Sons cookbook)

Sounds like fun. We are going for a week in June...should I make reservations prior to leaving or can they be obtained once we arrive?
Thanks, Sandie

We made our ressies after we got there. Usually our first day we look over the activities, decide which ones we want to try and then call. Be sure that you go out on a dolphin boat too !

Disneyaholic said:
I think there is a separate charge for beer and wine.... :drinking1

That's what I remember. Drinks available were lemonade and iced tea with the meal. We enjoyed the shrimp boil. I'll probably do it again if they have it while we are there at Easter.

:drinking: :fish: :hourglass

mcjeff said:
We will be staying at HH the week before Easter in a Grand Villa. I just found out that they will be having the "Low Country Shrimp Boil" while we are there. Can anyone tell me about this event? Is it worth doing? Worth the money? What's the entertainment? Would you recommend it? What's on the menu and are drinks included? What night of the week do they usually have this event? Any and all info. would be a big help , since I am planning an itinerary for 12 people. Thanks in advance!

McJeff
Now I've found out that the Shrimp Boil will be held at the Beach House. Has anyone out there ever attended this event at this location. I feel that this might take away from the atmosphere of the Shrimp boil. The recreation dept. said that the staff and guests seem to like it better at the beach house. What do you think? Should we still go?

McJeff

mcjeff said:
Now I've found out that the Shrimp Boil will be held at the Beach House. Has anyone out there ever attended this event at this location. I feel that this might take away from the atmosphere of the Shrimp boil. The recreation dept. said that the staff and guests seem to like it better at the beach house. What do you think? Should we still go?

McJeff

The Beach House is a great location! It will have a different atmosphere, but that's not a lesser thing. It could be that the Beach House is a better location for the time of year. It can be quite cool in March and possibly rainy, and at the Becah House, the outside is very sheltered, plus there are plenty of seats and some tables inside the building. Perhaps this will change if the weather projection is warm and dry. :umbrella:

I have heard that they're making a few changes to the shrimp boil this year, one of which is moving it to the beach house. Please make sure you let us know how it is! We will be at HH for the first week in April and are planning on checking it out :sunny: .

We were at HH the last week of March last year, and our shrimp boil got cancelled due to inclement weather. We were really disappointed - as we had missed the opportunity to go on the tours - they were booked up before we arrived.

I would guess that the move to the Beach house could very well be because of the unpredictable weather...

Well, not having attended a shrimp boil at the beach house, I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that a shrimp boil at the beach house is just a glorified picnic. A shrimp boil under the live oaks at the edge of the marsh(which I have done) seemed like a timeless southern tradition. I have to admit that the night we did it weather was not a factor-It was last year's Easter week and the weather was very pleasant. Just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter