HH for New Years!

abiomom

Earned my ears the old fashioned way.
:earseek: :earseek: :smooth:

We are planning to spend New Years at Hilton Head this year and would love any info or comments from previous New Years stays.

Thanks!

Hey, abiomom!!
Welcome aboard. We will be at HH 12/26-1/1 and I am compiling a list of fellow DISers in the hopes of scheduling a coffee get - together or something like that down there.
We are a family of four-- me (just turned 39 saturday), DH (39), DD(14) and DS(9).
Do you have any children?
We too are looking for information on weather and activities, etc.
Cam

We were at HH this last NYE - the resort provides a couple of different parties for the kids - one for the teens and one for the younger set.

Our kids went to the teen pizza party and seemed to have a lot of fun.

There are other things going on in the area for adults (not at the resort as I recall though), but since the wife and I aren't really party animals we just planned a nice evening in the room.

Thanks, Mickey!
My DD will be excited to know there are teen activities--when we tell her about the trip, of course;) Trying to keep it a surprise as long as possible.
Cam

We'll be there 12/30 - 1/2 in a 1 BR. Never been to HH before so don't know what to expect. Sounds like there will be a few of us there! It's me, DH, DD 9, DS6 and DS2. We hope there is one day warm enough for swimming in the pool!

The "resort" is highly overrated in my opinion. Well, maybe if you are a big golfer, it is a good place to stay during warm weather seasons.

We went this past New Years, and have to say it was a disappointment. I figured, since it was a cheap week on the point chart, why not get away for the week - Disney must have something good happening? Bad decision on my part. Our daughter did enjoy the kids party, but overall, there ain't squat to do. How many places do you think there are on site or near by to get food? Better stop at the Publix on the way to the resort for loading up the fridge or you'll go hungry. The entire area is dead during that time of year.

Generally, we go for the studios, but luckily took the one bedroom at HH. It was a very nice suite. Probably the only nice thing I could say about our visit.

I think it depends on what you are after.

Our family had a very enjoyable time. We rented bikes for the time we were there and went biking with the kids, visited the beach house, had fun at the pool, did a bar-b-q lunch in the picnic area, did the "private affair," wandered around looking at the marina and window shopping; movies and games with the kids in the evening at the room, went on the kayaking trip.

You're correct that there's not really anything on site for food (other then the counter service they have during the day), but there's a couple of places just across the bridge and lots of interesting places to eat around the area, though we did a lot of our cooking at the room, we usually ate out for one meal each day.

Like Vero, we used Hilton Head to wind down a little after having a larger family vacation at WDW.

I expected more from a DVC resort and was disappointed as a result. It is nothing to get excited about. HH is not in the same category as any of the DVC properties we've stayed at previously. In my mind, it was no better than an above average/high end hotel with limited facilities and activities - nothing particularly special. Anyone who is expecting something "magical" from a visit to HH (especially for New Years) should reconsider. You can do better without trying very hard.

Because of our experience at HH, I am hesitant to consider a stay at VB.

Again, just my own opinion - but feel obligated to let people know so they don't get their hopes up and end out disappointed as we did.

I think that if you visit any resort destination out of its "normal" season, some of the magic will be lost. Since HH is not tied to the parks, like the other WDW resorts, it is a much different vacation. I went one year to Montauk for NYE. It was quiet and beautiful, unlike the summer scene. I have been to HH in both quiet and high seasons and simply love the area.

It seems that you need a bit more entertainment, hence your disappointment. There are other members who feel as you do and will find your opinions timely and helpful. That is the beauty of DVC. There is something for everyone.

:jester:

We went to HH this past March, and while it was chilly most of the time, we still swam in the warm pool and walked on the beach. And of course, golf! :)

We realize that the weather at this time is not warm, but to us from Michigan, it could be. LOL! :)

I think HH has magic, it is just a subtle thing. I love the resort and cannot wait to return!

Now, if I could get my waitlist, I woud be able to invite more family! :)

Kamy

My family loves Hilton Head! The resort is one of the reasons we bought DVC. My hubby does not like Disney too much but tolerates my addiction. Since I was the one interested in purchasing DVC and he had made it clear he would not agree to purchase on-site, I booked us at Hilton Head for cash. I was able to get a great Disney Club rate and we spent a wonderful six relaxing and lazy days on the island the week of Christmas (good weather, spacious accommodations, friendly CMs and a great counter service restaurant for lunch each day). I found the resort quaint and charming. Hubby loved the "low country" relaxed atmosphere which is so very different from anything we had experienced at Disney previously (we are known to be commandos). It only took DH 2 days to agree to a purchase at Hilton Head.

As DownNeckBoy put it so eloquently, DVC offers different atmospheres for different people. I'd like to consider an add-on one day and wonder if the "Institute" villas will suit my family's style better than BCV, I don't know. Right now I do know that I am glad there are so many different options and I am happy to call Hilton Head home and can't wait for my first official visit home in November!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter