Hershey Park?

Ar1el

DIS Veteran
What can you tell me about it. We do have a trip planned for DW in Sept but really should not go due to finances. So I was thinking of a place that was closer to home but that might and I mean a big might compare to Disney. Those that have been to Hershey Park, how was it. I have a DD7, DS4 and then the newbie, 4 months as of now. I would like to go towards the end of the summer. Any info you can give me is appreciated. TIA

Live just outside of Hershey and go often. There is no comparison to WDW. It's a nice park, don't get me wrong. The food is expensive and the lines are LONG. Visitors aren't very nice. I don't step foot into the park after school lets out, even with free tickets. I just can't stand all of the people.

The positives: lovely clean park, variety of rides for kids of all ages (not much for little, little kids, though), the water park is nice if you don't mind a million of your closest friends, Chocolate World!! Hershey is a beautiful little town, rich in history. There is lots to see and do.

Hi,
I live near Hershey park and have been there many times it is not like Disney at all so be prepared for that nothing compares to Disney. I will tell you they do have a water area and if is really hot it will get full fast. It is a really nice family park and if your coming in Aug that is the most busiest month.
I will tell you to buy your tickers at a Giant food store ( if you don't stay at one of there hotels) in the Hershey area as they are usually the cheapest for adults and children, your 4 month old will be free. You are not allowed to bring your own food into the park but they do have picnic areas outside of the park that you can use.
If you are staying over in the area they have something called preview which you can in at 7:30 the night before when the park closes at 10 or 11 and still have a full day left on your ticket. If you plan on staying 2 days in the park its cheaper to buy a two day flex tickers which allows you to come to the park any 2 days its open from May to Sept tickets. Another options is a day at Hershey park and a day a Dutchwonderland in Lancaster which is really guided towards little kids your age.
If you need more answers let me know or call 717-534-3900 and hit number 2 the agents there I have most helpful.

Pam

Also, It is pricey. I actually paid the same amount for a 4 day trip to disney as a 4 day trip to Hershey with my disney pin codes etc.

Also, It is pricey. I actually paid the same amount for a 4 day trip to Disney as a 4 day trip to Hershey with my Disney pin codes etc.

It may be pricey if you do not use coupons and stay at the elite areas. But for us, a stay with in ten minutes of Hershey, no one really has to stay at the Hotel Hershey or travel lodge.
Loved staying in Cabins at the campground when they really were just a cabin :thumbsup2

We get one day tickets instead of all days. The night before preview is free, go back the next day. There are many free and nice things to do.
One my kids love is Lancaster, a train ride there. Or in Hummelstown next to Hershey has a really cool cavern, train ride.

The Hershey Museum and gardens are great,. Chocolate world is free ride with several day filling attractions.
In Harrisburg next to the capital is Strawberry Square, on the one floor of the Mall; super cool kid friendly hands on experience. On the other side of the Capital Building is the History Museum with great attractions and was free when we were there last.

There is the Hershey school where Milton Hershey's living quarters are set up, a car museum, the trolley ride takes you all over Hershey to the historic area with actors entertaining.
We use to camp at Hershey High Meadows, it was nice as the bus would transport so no pay to park. They had 3 pools, game room, entertainment in the barn, kids make friends there so easy.

What is nice is that you can do the night preview, if the weather is iffy keep the ticket for another night. The big thing is historic value the kids learn in the area.

Between the Museums, the Caverns, Rail Roads, Lancaster,

OH AND DID I SAY THE OUTLET'S !!!!!!!!

The area has certainly grown since as a child in Jr High I had my first trip in 1967. There was an area around the Comet and the hill coming up from the Carousel.

Even in the early 80's the highway was two lane, there was no large Walmart or K-marts. Just the local Giant and Kmart that was small behind where the McDonald's, and KFC are now. That use to be the road, not the entry.....

There is just so much to do without the Park....PA is so full of history

To the south is Gettysburg, a day trip there was always on the agenda to see the houses with bullet holes, Jenny Lind house I think it was called. The Tower is gone now, but maybe a new one was built. There Eisenhower home, history of the littlest soldiers and drummer boys.

If you are that close you have to see Knobole's Park too!!!!! free admission, buying books from AAA or all day bands, except weekends. FOOD MUSIC FANTASY

My grandson says, daddy I love when you take me places that Mommy use to take you.....:love:

Sometimes the trips rerouted in life are the most memorable!

You can't compare it to WDW at all...they are not even in the same league, IMO.

About 5 years ago I went there with DD for the day with her school group on an all day field trip. It didn't help that we had just returned earlier that week from a 10 day WDW trip, but I said, "Never again"...and I meant it.

Live just outside of Hershey and go often. There is no comparison to WDW. It's a nice park, don't get me wrong. The food is expensive and the lines are LONG. Visitors aren't very nice. I don't step foot into the park after school lets out, even with free tickets. I just can't stand all of the people.

The positives: lovely clean park, variety of rides for kids of all ages (not much for little, little kids, though), the water park is nice if you don't mind a million of your closest friends, Chocolate World!! Hershey is a beautiful little town, rich in history. There is lots to see and do.

Agree.I live right near Hersheypark.I don't go NEAR the place accept for Springtime in the Park and Hersheypark in the Dark

I have a question for you guys as well. We are doing a weekend in Hershey to go to Disney on ice. We are going the first weekend in April (parks are closed) and plan on doing the chocolate world (they are open). Is it normally packed there on a weekend when the parks are closed? How much time should we allow for there?

We will be at Hershey for a soccer tournament in June. I am dreading how crowded the park is going to be, especially on a weekend. The park is really nice and clean though but food is VERY expensive. We will be getting our tix at a discounted rate bc of the tournament but I think they are still 28$ a person.

I have a question for you guys as well. We are doing a weekend in Hershey to go to Disney on ice. We are going the first weekend in April (parks are closed) and plan on doing the chocolate world (they are open). Is it normally packed there on a weekend when the parks are closed? How much time should we allow for there?

Not crazy busy, but Chocolate world on the weekends is always busy( not as busy as when the park is open though).People travel from all over to go to Chocolate World.How much time you need depends on what you want to do.There is the factory ride( which doesn't tour the real factory btw), the 3D movie and there are trolley tours around the Hershey area.There is also lots of candy to buy and a cafe area.Other than that there isn't a whole lot to do if the park is closed.

Not crazy busy, but Chocolate world on the weekends is always busy( not as busy as when the park is open though).People travel from all over to go to Chocolate World.How much time you need depends on what you want to do.There is the factory ride( which doesn't tour the real factory btw), the 3D movie and there are trolley tours around the Hershey area.There is also lots of candy to buy and a cafe area.Other than that there isn't a whole lot to do if the park is closed.

Thanks! I figure 1/2 day should cover it. I see that the trolly tour won't be running when we go, per their website. So were just going to do the factory ride, probably the 3d movie and make your own candy bar. And of course hit the gift shop, but that's about it.

Hershey Park is a nice park. It is very clean and kept nice. Like other posters have said, it cant really compare to Disney, but it is a great place to go IMO. there are plenty of ways to save $$ when traveling to Hershey. Don't stay at one of the Hershey Hotels..stay just outside. There are always coupons. I got my tickets 50% off last year from my nephew who was in boy scouts. You just have to look/ask around. The water park was nice and clean. The rides were perfect for my 3 yr old. We plan on going back this year too. But he is only in pre-school so we try & go before schools let out for the summer and only go for a couple days during the week. I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you go knowing it is not Disney!

Hersey is nice, but I would much rather take the extra few hours and drive to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg Va.:thumbsup2

Hershey Park is a nice park. It is very clean and kept nice. Like other posters have said, it cant really compare to Disney, but it is a great place to go IMO. there are plenty of ways to save $$ when traveling to Hershey. Don't stay at one of the Hershey Hotels..stay just outside. There are always coupons. I got my tickets 50% off last year from my nephew who was in boy scouts. You just have to look/ask around. The water park was nice and clean. The rides were perfect for my 3 yr old. We plan on going back this year too. But he is only in pre-school so we try & go before schools let out for the summer and only go for a couple days during the week. I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you go knowing it is not Disney!

I totally agree about the hotel! When we were planning for April to stay in Hershey area it was $150 per nite and up. We decided to stay in Harrisburg (13 miles away) and the rates were down to like $50-$75 per night!

Great Bear is probably one of my top ten favorite rides. Hershey Park is great, but it is better to go sometime other than the summer.

I love Hersheypark. It is crowded though. What I would do if I were you is go to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster. Considering the ages of your kids i think it would be a much better decision. Dutch Wonderland is like a amusement park of yesterday in a really good way. I love it. It also has a water area that is really nice. They have a good mix of rides geared for kids 12 and under. They have some really cute shows too. Also look into staying @ Willow Valley resort in lancaster. It's like a vacation in itself. It's really great. Good Luck and have agreat trip!!

We enjoy going to Hershey Park, but is definitely no WDW! It's a nice, clean, family oriented park. It is very expensive.

One thing I wasn't prepared for last year was we decided to go on a Saturday in August, knowing it would be busy. There was a huge concert (Jonas Brothers???), so the place was mobbed!!! Seriously, it took us about an hour to park, another to get out of the parking lot at the end of the night, about 1 1/2 hours to enter the park from before the turnstiles (we had our tickets already, and hundreds of us had to make our way to the far side of the entrance way to go through one gate). That really turned us off from trying to go in the summer again. I have never seen anything like it! Once we got in, the crowds were just busy, but we wasted so much time entering and exiting.

We've gone for the Halloween nights, which was a lot of fun for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter