Hershey Park experts

Grammyof2

<font color=deeppink>Best Woo Hootier that ever wo
Planning a day trip next week with a mixed family group. Includes a 3 year old, 2 big roller coaster fans, my husband who had a recent knee replacement and a few others. My questions are
1) should we get the extra passes that are similar to FP for the 2 coaster fans?
2) how does stroller parking work?
3) should we get the handicap pass for my husband? He can walk but steps, etc would be a problem and not sure how it works there.
4) can you recommend a hotel close that isn't an arm and a leg if we decide to stay over.
5) any special tips I should know.

We have been before but never with such a diverse group and in prime season. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Please excuse typos, etc since I am trying to post from my tiny phone screen.

Planning a day trip next week with a mixed family group. Includes a 3 year old, 2 big roller coaster fans, my husband who had a recent knee replacement and a few others. My questions are
1) should we get the extra passes that are similar to FP for the 2 coaster fans?
3) should we get the handicap pass for my husband? He can walk but steps, etc would be a problem and not sure how it works there.
4) can you recommend a hotel close that isn't an arm and a leg if we decide to stay over.

We have been before but never with such a diverse group and in prime season. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Please excuse typos, etc since I am trying to post from my tiny phone screen.

We are planning our first trip in a couple weeks, so I can't answer anything specific about the park yet. We are considering getting the coaster passes, at least for DH and DD11. I'd love to hear more about those from someone who has used them in the past.

I will chime in that we decided to stay in Harrisburg (Comfort Inn and Suites). There were several hotel choices in the $119-149 range with free breakfast/wifi that all seem to be about 15 minutes from the park.

Grammyof2 said:

1) yep for the coaster lovers if you are only going one day they would be a good idea
2) you just park your stroller outside the ride line ( with the exception of chocolate world where if you are doing the ride you park it outside the building in the covered area)
3)no idea about the handicap pass, I've never taken anyone that needed one
4)a hotel for next week? Its short notice for a cheaper rate. I would recommend a Harrisburg hotel. They are cheaper than staying in Hershey
5)tips: if you are doing the water park area go there as soon as it opens to get seats together. If you like soda you can get a refillable mug that refills for 99 cents. When my cousin came she bought a meal pass that came with the mug. She said she saved quite a bit that way.

I agree with Harrisburg, always stay there (usually a sheraton or marriot) not far and a easy ride to park. Also do meal deal, It comes with meal plus refillable cup, def a good deal. We buy them, then kids have a ticket to go get lunch, and since they take off , can get whenever they are hungry. ( my kids are teens so venture off ) if interested in water park, go early , lines and lack of seats there is crazy. don't miss chocolate world, a free "ride" and them some pay things, shops , just try to do early or maybe in middle of day , end of day it's crowded. Have fun.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Hoping someone can chime in with info on the handicap accessibility at the park. I am sure we will be splitting up in smaller groups at times and just want to have my ducks in a row.

Has anyone actually used the Fast Track coaster program?

We are here now. Boy is it hilly. I would think the family member who had knee replacement look into renting a scooter. I am mostly recovered from a broken ankle. It was quite a workout! If he cannot do steps, I think some of the ascents and descents will be an issue and are unavoidable if expecting to do the whole park. I wasn't paying attention, but towards the end of the evening, I spotted an elevator for one of the coasters. Not sure if they all have them.

I am by far NOT an expert--but last night, in 2.5 hours of preview (we have a group ticket) my kids rode several roller coasters plus additional rides. I was surprised knowing how crowded Disney parks can be. We found we got A LOT done after 7:30.

The $50 pass is good for 9 coasters (I think) and the $25 evening pass is good for about half of that.

I can let you know later today how my kids did without it as based on what the parking lot looked like yesterday in the afternoon (we went to Chocolate World), it doesn't seem the park was that busy. But that didn't include folks taking resort shuttles.

My 4yo is using a stroller. She is a pipsqueak. But I would rather not carry her when she is tired.

I would definitely divide and conquer. There are soooo many kiddie rides. My 4yo is having a blast even though I have to deny her requests for the BIG coasters.

Adding:

Per the guide map, it says they have a rider safety and accessibility guide at Hospitality Services by the park entrance and the Family Health and Services center further in the park.

They rent ECVs. There is on site training that must be completed to be able to rent.

No other information on the map.

We are here now. Boy is it hilly. I would think the family member who had knee replacement look into renting a scooter. I am mostly recovered from a broken ankle. It was quite a workout! If he cannot do steps, I think some of the ascents and descents will be an issue and are unavoidable if expecting to do the whole park. I wasn't paying attention, but towards the end of the evening, I spotted an elevator for one of the coasters. Not sure if they all have them.

I am by far NOT an expert--but last night, in 2.5 hours of preview (we have a group ticket) my kids rode several roller coasters plus additional rides. I was surprised knowing how crowded Disney parks can be. We found we got A LOT done after 7:30.

The $50 pass is good for 9 coasters (I think) and the $25 evening pass is good for about half of that.

I can let you know later today how my kids did without it as based on what the parking lot looked like yesterday in the afternoon (we went to Chocolate World), it doesn't seem the park was that busy. But that didn't include folks taking resort shuttles.

My 4yo is using a stroller. She is a pipsqueak. But I would rather not carry her when she is tired.

I would definitely divide and conquer. There are soooo many kiddie rides. My 4yo is having a blast even though I have to deny her requests for the BIG coasters.

Have a great day Lisa! I was in Chocolate World last night lol Have a great day at the park today! I keep telling my dh that the reason I go into Hersheypark so often is to keep my figure on those hills! Pushing a stroller up some of them certainly is a workout.

We have not been to Hersey Park in about 10 years...but when we did go we would go the night before...get the preview pass and spend those 2 1/2 hours at the park. Go to the hotel and see the rest of the park the next day...we are about 3 hours from HP so we would head home once we were done.

Lisa loves Pooh, looking forward to your update from today. Hope you have a great time. It is hot for sure.

Lisa loves Pooh, looking forward to your update from today. Hope you have a great time. It is hot for sure.

Very!

So--my update! We had two wash out rain blips yesterday. Made it obvious we weren't at a Florida theme park. Lots of outdoor attractions they had to close. Clearly for safety--but not a problem, as still got a lot done. They had closed the Boardwalk water attractions and even when weather was quite clear, they must have some lengthy procedure to get that going again. We were able to squeak in 90 minutes (easily finding chairs since the place had emptied) before they shut it down due to rain. We then moved onto other things as they slowly reopened. Even with the lost time to rain, we still got a lot done.

Today--horrible afternoon rain forecast. Not sure of that is keeping park goers away. We are squeaking in as much as we can. I let my oldest two go around and do their coasters. We bumped into them 30 minutes later and they has already ridden 3.

I don't get why the crowds are so light--but we will take it.

For the coaster passes, I would save Money and not get the one good all day. Monitor how lines and progress to and get the one good on the late afternoon/evening one. Another clue would be how empty or full the parking lot is on arrival.

I did note that, on the regular map, they make where steep walking hills are in the park.

We are HUGE Disney fans and I have been pleased with our experience here. And my roller coasting kids have managed to ride their coasters at least 2 or 3 times a piece.

Have a great trip!

For hotels, check Grantville. The handicap pass gets you on the rides faster too. It is very hilly in the park too.

We are back and visited on the 10th.

My husband decided not to go and I took my niece with us instead. I am glad he didn't go because I forgot just how hilly it is. Some of the hills were a definite workout with the stroller.

I thought the crowds were very manageable. My coaster lovers rode everything they wanted and I did not buy the coaster passes. The water parks were great and the longest line of the day was for the log flume type ride but they still rode 3 times.

I was actually amazed how much we got done.

That being said, I am not sure if any of you saw on the news but we were there during the flash flooding. It rained about as hard as possible and there was even a brief period of hail. The entrance/exit to the park had water past my knees. When it first started raining my daughter and 3 of the girls (with the stroller) headed out but my grandson and I were farther in the park. By the time we got to the exit it was truly crazy weather wise. My weather app said it wasn't letting up for an hour or more so we headed out in the mess. The flooding was bad at that point. We headed home to NJ about 8:30 and it rained HARD for about 2 hours. I think the storm was just following us.

We had hoped to hit some more rides and shop but that didn't happen. We still had a great day and a bit of an adventure. I received an email yesterday for 6 ticket replacements since they have a weather ticket replacement if the weather is extreme.

All in all a great day and my grandkids said the favorite part was the flood.:lmao:

We are back and visited on the 10th.

My husband decided not to go and I took my niece with us instead. I am glad he didn't go because I forgot just how hilly it is. Some of the hills were a definite workout with the stroller.

I thought the crowds were very manageable. My coaster lovers rode everything they wanted and I did not buy the coaster passes. The water parks were great and the longest line of the day was for the log flume type ride but they still rode 3 times.

I was actually amazed how much we got done.

That being said, I am not sure if any of you saw on the news but we were there during the flash flooding. It rained about as hard as possible and there was even a brief period of hail. The entrance/exit to the park had water past my knees. When it first started raining my daughter and 3 of the girls (with the stroller) headed out but my grandson and I were farther in the park. By the time we got to the exit it was truly crazy weather wise. My weather app said it wasn't letting up for an hour or more so we headed out in the mess. The flooding was bad at that point. We headed home to NJ about 8:30 and it rained HARD for about 2 hours. I think the storm was just following us.

We had hoped to hit some more rides and shop but that didn't happen. We still had a great day and a bit of an adventure. I received an email yesterday for 6 ticket replacements since they have a weather ticket replacement if the weather is extreme.

All in all a great day and my grandkids said the favorite part was the flood.:lmao:

It's great you got replacement tickets! I hope you will get to use them.

I'm crossing my fingers for good weather when we go in two weeks, but I'm sure my kids would think a flood was fun too. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter