Here's one that has never been asked before

Disney does have a lot of plain clothes security, as well as Orange County Sherriff's present frequently at all the parks.

You can't punish the child for the father's actions. And hopefully the good actions of the other dads will rub off on him more than his own father.

True , but the child can get taken away and placed with child protection while the father is being held....
remember the couple in Hawaii who were arrested for "stealing"the sandwiches they ate?

Since your son is old enough to have a son of his own, he really should be mature enough to know better than to hang out with thieves.

As for what would happen to the guy and his son, it's not going to be any different than if he stole something in a mall. The thief will be arrested and processed by the local police. Depending on the procedures that the local police follow, the son will either be allowed to stay with the thief's friends, or may be staying with CPS.

What will Disney do? It's going to depend on the circumstances and the severity of the offense. I've heard of entire groups being booted off the property (and evicted from their resort) for the actions of a few, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of their vacation being disrupted in a very unpleasant way if it's not very, very clear that this guy was acting alone.

If it were me, and since a number of other guys on the trip don't want him there, I'd have all those who object talk to the one who invited him, and have him dis-invite the jerk. I wouldn't want my kid exposed to this guy's behavior, or to what may be a very upsetting situation if the guy gets arrested and his kid is taken to CPS. Not fun stuff on a vacation.

I am a mature woman with a 16 year old son. I am a good person, try to live by the golden rule and with good morals and values. That said, I do not think that there is something wrong with your son because he has a friend that steals. Other posters on this thread make it sound as if your son is ridiculous for having this man as a friend. I'm sure your son doesn't approve of this mans behavior, but that doesn't mean he should cut all ties or the man will influence your grandson to become a thief:rolleyes:.

I agree that if they are actually good friends, your son should be able to have a talk with him and let him know that his behavior will not be tolerated.

I spoke to my son this am and told him some of the replies here.
He is going with a group of kids and their father's from their baseball team.
the guy who headed up the trip signed up for the YES program and told everyone on the league. They were told they would room with another guy and son group and could chose if they had a preference otherwise they would be assigned.
The guy who signed up with the theif will be staying in the room with him and his son. the rest of the guys have their friends that they will room with.
The theif brags all the time about how easy it is to steal and which stores are the easiest. The other guys don't hang around with him other than sitting near him on the bleachers at games. My son is one of the coaches so he doesn't know this guy other than that he is the father of one of the kids he coaches.
Like I said they will only be together during two group meals. My son said he will avoid this guy at all costs during the trip.
They all are responsible for their own transportation to the parks and will meet with the guy heading the trip at the resort to get their room keys.
They did have an adult meet last week where all the incidentals of the trip were discussed. He said he was shocked to see this guy at the meeting and the theif was told they know about his stealing and he would be on his own if anything happened. The guy who is his friend was told he would be responsible for taking care of the child if anything happened and he said he already talked to his friend and told him he better curtail his stealing.
Unfortunately they all know his stealing is an addiction and unless he gets help nothing can be done to stop him. They did all they could do by telling him they will not be around him during the trip and he can go but he is on his own if anything happens.
He will not be with his son during the YES program since they can only have a limited amount of adults in the class. My son will not be in the program either but plans on being at the park they are in so he can get his son as soon as the program is over and go see sites from there.

If this guy brags about stealing, what kind of message it that sending to the boys---that it is OK to steal and there are no consequences?

I'm sorry, but I would not associate with this man. I would not let him go on the trip with a bunch of boys. To me, it just tells the boys that this is acceptable behavior.

Since your son is old enough to have a son of his own, he really should be mature enough to know better than to hang out with thieves.

Agreed.
Op , your son is a grown man with a child of his own, let him worry about this.

This isn't your problem, stop stressing over it. Your son is a grown man, tell him to do what he thinks is best.

I'd stay out of it, and let my ADULT son handle it on his own.

As far as what will happen, I'm sure if he is caught his room will be searched. I definitely wouldn't room with him or have adjoining rooms.

If he is caught shoplifting an item Disney will not search his room, or, adjoining rooms.

As terrible as it may sound, I would be running for the hills. You do NOT want Disney security on your tail or being seen as an accomplice and what not.

Disney will not be "on your tail", if someone you simply "know" is caught stealing.

I've heard of entire groups being booted off the property (and evicted from their resort) for the actions of a few, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of their vacation being disrupted in a very unpleasant way if it's not very, very clear that this guy was acting alone.

Disney will not evict a group of Dad's and children from their resorts just because they "know" someone who got caught shoplifting a small item.

This is a situation nobody wants any part of, but some of these comments are just out there.

Personally, I would drop out of the trip if this dude is going and take my kid some other time.

I'd stay out of it, and let my ADULT son handle it on his own.

No I would not.
My husbands brother has the same "problems". Stealing,lying and cheating. Ever time he is in trouble ,we as family have to deal with his problems like taking in his STEALING children.
His children never learned any morals and they steal from ever one.
Grandmother,and we as siblings never ever can let our purses unwatched as long as he and his children are in the room.

As far as what will happen, I'm sure if he is caught his room will be searched. I definitely wouldn't room with him or have adjoining rooms. I wouldn't want my reservation in any way attached to his.

Disney will not search his room, or any adjoining rooms. That's a violation of basic civil rights. They could search his room with a search warrant, however. Not if someone is a shoplifter.

As terrible as it may sound, I would be running for the hills. You do NOT want Disney security on your tail or being seen as an accomplice and what not.

Disney security will not be "on your tail", but if they were following you, it would be because you were behaving suspiciously, and you would not even know it. And you'd only be seen as an accomplice if you helped him steal.

No I would not.
My husbands brother has the same "problems". Stealing,lying and cheating. Ever time he is in trouble ,we as family have to deal with his problems like taking in his STEALING children.
His children never learned any morals and they steal from ever one.
Grandmother,and we as siblings never ever can let our purses unwatched as long as he and his children are in the room.

We're not talking about the original poster's son being a thief, but an acquaintance of the original poster's son. I'm sure the man who is a thief has a mother and children who have to deal with his stealing and lying. And yes, the parents and siblings of the thief have to take precautions.

The original post was from a grown woman, with a grown son who merely associates with a thief. The grown son is the one who has to "deal" with the thief, and I recommend that the original poster let her adult son deal with him on his own terms. Why is the original poster worrying about her adult son's friend's crimes? It's not her son who is stealing, it's his friend. Let the criminal's parents worry about him.

I'm the parent of adult children. I don't know if my adult children know people who are known thieves, but if they do, I let my adult children handle the situation as they wish. It's really none of my business. It's the business of the thief's family. Not their friends, and certainly not the parents of their friends.

I let my grown children choose their own friends, and don't worry about them.

I'm not going to repeat the "why would they go on a trip with him" when you CLEARLY stated in your original post that your son and most of the group did not invite him along, but that one person in particular did.

So, if this was me, I would either:

Get everyone together as a group BEFORE the trip even starts and let this thief know that in no uncertain terms will they tolerate his stealing while at Disney and that if any of them see anything out of line, they will report it to the authorities immediately. I would also make it clear that he knows that there are security personnel and cameras everywhere around Disney and that if he is caught stealing he will be removed from the parks, banned from Disney and most likely, arrested. And that if he wants to do that to his son, then he can go without them.

Or, I would tell the person who invited this loser and the loser himself, that I would not be touring with him or dining with him or otherwise hanging out with him at any time during this trip because of his know criminal acts!

End of story. They don't have to put up with him. They need to take care of themselves and their children and let this loser fend for himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter