Here's one reason to try not to work out a super cheap Disney vacation.

CowboyCO

DIS Veteran
We rented DVC and are staying at AK for a price between Value and a Mod, bought airline tickets when they went on sale, signed the kids up for the YES program and prepaid for the discount PHs for our entire party.

But, I just got laid off, completely out of the blue. DVC rental is of course non refundable, as is the airfare, as are the YES tickets.

We saved $2,000 booking it this way, but now we can't cancel. Oh well -- when one door opens, another opens!

As long as you will have money to eat and a little spending money then all is good. I got laid off suddenly 4 weeks before I was leaving for a trip and thankfully everything was booked and paid for and food and spending were already put aside so there was no way I was going to disappoint my kids at the last minute by cancelling.

Enjoy your trip and good luck on your job search!

I lost my job suddenly last June. We had a trip planned, not Disney, but a trip. We went on our trip, had a good time (even though it was touch to not think about the uncertainty).

I was out of work for about 5 weeks, got a better job for our family. Base pay was equal and bonus pay was slightly less. However, with the new job got a company car, cell phone and other such perks. I lost one week of vacation time (less Disney time now). But, switched from a 5-6 day work week to a 4 day work week 3 weeks per month and a 5 day work week one week per month.

Keep your head up, things will work out, often times much better! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the comments. We're still going. If I get a new gig and the vacation is a problem, I'll stay home and send the family. Maybe I'll use my ticket to fly out for a weekend or something.

My DH was laid off about 3 weeks before our trip last Sept - his last day of work was the day we left.

We were in the same boat as you - everything was paid for DVC, tickets, we got the dining plan which I had put the money on Disney gift cards for - so we went. At that point there was no benefit to staying home and I am so glad we went.

It took the stress off his job ending b/c we went straight into vacation. We made the decision to just not worry about it that week - and we were able to do it - we had a great family trip - it relaxed DH and he came back ready to hit the pavement.

You don't know when you will get to vacation again so go and enjoy yourself!!

It was actually my favorite Disney vacation b/c it was the first time DH wasn't dealing with work emergencies while we were there!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter