• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here's a great question? Cell phone capabilities?

spankey1473

Earning My Ears
I am sailing this Sunday on the Wonder 4 day.. And by the way, :bounce: CAN'T WAIT:bounce:

My father is really sick right now. He's in the ICU at our local hospital with Congestive Heart Faliure... I was curious? Does or have anyone ever used your cell phone while at sea? And did you have a signal at all? Also I would think even though I can call anywhere in the US and free long distance? I am actually out of the country are we not? The Bahamas that is.. LOL.... I can't really see getting a signal at all seeing how cell phones use towers and not satalites? So I don't recall any towers in the open sea? But maybee at Nassau?

Anyone ever get any suprise charges for calling the states while on a cruise and on your cell phone?

I just want to be able to keep in touch with my mom at times to check in on my dad and his health? My mom pleaded with me to go on the trip and to have a great time and all. Its just that I feel so darn GUILTY!!!!

Can anyone offer me some insight? On your past experience with cell phone calls and bill's? Thanks so much for your help and info!!!

Spankey

Sorry to say you will lose cell service before you lose sight of land, short of getting a Satellite phone which are very expensive.

Some have reported getting signal at Castaway Cay, and some of the ports, depending on cell provider.

You can call from your stateroom to shore but that is also very expensive.

For emergencies, they can call you at : 888-DC-AT-SEA (888) 322-8732. They need to have a charge card ready and it is something like $7-8 a minute.

Just read on Cingular's site that they do have roaming agreements with the Bahama's.. Its 1.99 a mintute... So I guess that isn't to bad.... I don't mind paying a few dollars to call home to check up on good old dad.....

Thanks again
Spankey

Well, that's really good!

Make sure you note any special instructions for making a call internationally.

I was able to use my SprintPCS phone on the day-at-sea during a 4 day Wonder cruise last year. I could (barely) see the Florida coastline through the porthole and my phone worked - albeit with a very weak signal.

Sam

I was able to use my mobile phone back in July 01 from our veranda on the night our cruise left St Martin however I used a calling card (AT&T, purchased from Sams Club) and my calls went through just fine. My service was with Verizon at the time.

We were on the Western Cruise this past July & I was surprised to have service (Verizon) for the 1st two days, but we were heading to Key West & following the coast of Florida. We gradually lost service after heading out of Key West. We've been on the Wonder & didn't have any service in the Bahamas. Your father is in our prayers. Have a great cruise! Cathie & The Gang:wave2:

We made a few phone calls home during our extended cruise due to Hurricane Frances. It was expensive, $6.95 per minute, but it was worth it to us to let our families know that we were fine and not to worry. I don't know your financial situation, but maybe you can ask your mom to just give you a very brief report when you call, and it shouldn't be too bad. I think each of our calls ended up costing around $35. Those minutes go by quickly. lol Again, it was worth it to us to make the calls from our cabin.
I hope everything turns out OK with your dad, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise :)

P.S. Our cell phone worked only when we were very close to land, and docked at each port.

Have Cingulair also and was not able to get any signal once out of PC on the Wonder.

As a cardiac nurse - if your parents asked you to go and have a good time then do so *without guilt*. They would feel badly if you didn't go. Your father will rest easy knowing you are happy and having a good time.

P.S. It's a good idea always, but especially when someone is really sick, to not leave things unsaid or undone. Cards work really well if saying things is akward. ;)

Just wanted to suggest that maybe you could keep in touch through the internet. There are internet facilities on the ship and I was told by another kind dis-er that it's $79.99 for unlimited access or $7.50 per minute. It's not the same as talking to someone on the phone but it might be better than nothing.

I hope for the best for your father and will think positive thoughts for his recovery.

Hope you have a good trip!

Thanks all of you for all your info and help.. But most of all for your kind words of support.. That makes me feel better about going...

My kids have been looking forward to this cruise for 6 months now and my oldest son whom is 8 turns 9 while on this cruise. So to him this is his birthday present.. To miss it would be heart breaking to him along with my wife and other son...

Thanks again....

Spankey

Does anyone know if you receive an INBOUNDcall from someone if the ship-to-shore rates apply? They can call your stateroom and leave a message (1-888-322-8732) but in my docs it says ship to shore rates apply even for this. I guess it would since it's the same satelite service people would have to use if they are calling into the ship. I was thinking they could leave you a message on your phone to save $$ but I think it would be the same cost. Can anyone confirm this?

What about a pre-paid international cell phone? Anyone ever do this? Would it pick up any better way out at sea?

I'll say a prayer for your Dad and family. It must be heart wrenching for you.

Originally posted by lbastida1
Does anyone know if you receive an INBOUNDcall from someone if the ship-to-shore rates apply? They can call your stateroom and leave a message (1-888-322-8732) but in my docs it says ship to shore rates apply even for this. I guess it would since it's the same satelite service people would have to use if they are calling into the ship. I was thinking they could leave you a message on your phone to save $$ but I think it would be the same cost. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes it applies to them. My MIL tried to call us on the ship and it told her she needed to input her credit card information. DW called her and it was very expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter