• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now, very cold, lots of problems

Originally Posted by tweetybird1992
... We're told she will probably always have to have tablet person come over. ...

My Mom is one of these people. Since the introduction of FP+ she has used two different 5-day passes and one annual pass for 4 trips. She has to have the Tablet person come over every single time she enters the park. At first they would have her reset her finger print and tell her it should work next time. Now, they just ask her to verify the last date she visited a park and let her in. On her last trip, one tablet person said something about that some people's fingerprints (or whatever they are looking at) aren't readable and that my Mom is one of those people.

It IS a pain to get held up every single time she tries to enter a park. But at least now we are used to it.

Re: Cold weather, I've lived in Central Florida the majority of my life and I swear that cold weather here feels colder than anywhere else. I don't know why, maybe because I don't expect it to be cold, or the humidity, or whatever, but I've been chilled to the bones these past few days. (It doesn't help that I got my hair cut really short on Monday night! My head has been freezing! :P ) I have family who lives in New York and I've been caught in several blizzards and visited last February when the temperatures didn't get above the 20s. One of those days we were walking around Manhattan and it was so bitter cold--but I still felt warmer than the super cold days I've been at Disney!
Yeah why is that. I'll freeze down south but at home can take a long walk in 30 weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancipants
Re: Cold weather, I've lived in Central Florida the majority of my life and I swear that cold weather here feels colder than anywhere else. I don't know why, maybe because I don't expect it to be cold, or the humidity, or whatever, but I've been chilled to the bones these past few days. (It doesn't help that I got my hair cut really short on Monday night! My head has been freezing! :P ) I have family who lives in New York and I've been caught in several blizzards and visited last February when the temperatures didn't get above the 20s. One of those days we were walking around Manhattan and it was so bitter cold--but I still felt warmer than the super cold days I've been at Disney!

Yeah why is that. I'll freeze down south but at home can take a long walk in 30 weather.

We live in PA and went to WDW over Thanksgiving. The first day and a half were warm and then the rain started and the temperature dropped. Only into the 40s and 50s but with the humidity in Florida it makes those temperatures bone chilling. The damp goes through everything. We went after Thanksgiving in 2013 and it was the same way. We go to Florida to get warm and with the air being drier in PA when it gets cold it doesn't go through your coats and chill you through and if it snows it seems to thermalize the air and make it not as chilling. Add a wind chill in either place and it makes it worse. It was probably "feeling" warmer in PA the last 2 times we went to WDW in November.

Originally Posted by tweetybird1992
... We're told she will probably always have to have tablet person come over. ...

My Mom is one of these people. Since the introduction of FP+ she has used two different 5-day passes and one annual pass for 4 trips. She has to have the Tablet person come over every single time she enters the park. At first they would have her reset her finger print and tell her it should work next time. Now, they just ask her to verify the last date she visited a park and let her in. On her last trip, one tablet person said something about that some people's fingerprints (or whatever they are looking at) aren't readable and that my Mom is one of those people.

It IS a pain to get held up every single time she tries to enter a park. But at least now we are used to it.

Universal's fingerprint system is also SO unreliable as to be non-functioning. I saw more guests waved through the front gate that had their fingerprints work. Otherwise I think US has much things going right. but their finger-ID is a mess. Whoever designed it for them did a terrible job. I hope they got their money back.:confused3

This "solution" is so expensive for Disney and it's happening so long after the trials and deployment of the technology that I suspect the entire investment will never pay for itself. Maybe the attendance figures and revenue streams are looking good at the moment, but on the whole I see a mis-begotten project.

Besides the actual cost of the human intervention, think of the negative long-term effects on both customer satisfaction and employee morale. What's the job classification for "tablet person"? Are problem employees threatened with being shifted to "tablet person" the way they used to be shifted to counter service food prep? Or more likely the very brightest employees are given the job (taking them away from managing attractions, shops and restaurants) because of the extreme stress and skills (technical and diplomatic) that are required. But how do the best and brightest enjoy having to frequently tell guests that they'll be losing some of their time every day because their magic band will never work?
This is the exact reason that I question the survival of the this technology. I wonder how long Disney will continue to provide all of the additional support needed for a system that can be buggy.

Universal's fingerprint system is also SO unreliable as to be non-functioning. I saw more guests waved through the front gate that had their fingerprints work. Otherwise I think US has much things going right. but their finger-ID is a mess. Whoever designed it for them did a terrible job. I hope they got their money back.:confused3

DH and DS have never had a problem with their finger scans there. I do sometimes, but I also tend to break things near my body. (Demagnetized tickets, two wand metal detectors broke when I was using them while doing security, etc) They have NEVER wave me through. I have had to show ID.

I don't find it non functioning at all.

OP here: Had various magic band issues with several of us at entry today. Interestingly, not the same members who had problems previously. All were resolved fairly quickly after ipad/tablet person called over. Frustrating more than anything especially when in hurry. However neither time did it cost us much time.
Cold again. My husband and I spent about 2 hrs at MK this am before all of us went to AK. Was fairly comfortable in 2 light jackets at MK but cold at AK. Saw lots of people in winter coats at AK. I am talking down coats! My Granddaughter said that they had the right idea. Maybe AK felt colder due to more open spaces, not sure.
Will try to post our observations after we return next week.
Thanks for all of the pixie dust sent our way. We are having a great time even despite some billing and monorail issues today!

OP here: Had various magic band issues with several of us at entry today. Interestingly, not the same members who had problems previously. All were resolved fairly quickly after ipad/tablet person called over. Frustrating more than anything especially when in hurry. However neither time did it cost us much time.
Cold again. My husband and I spent about 2 hrs at MK this am before all of us went to AK. Was fairly comfortable in 2 light jackets at MK but cold at AK. Saw lots of people in winter coats at AK. I am talking down coats! My Granddaughter said that they had the right idea. Maybe AK felt colder due to more open spaces, not sure.
Will try to post our observations after we return next week.
Thanks for all of the pixie dust sent our way. We are having a great time even despite some billing and monorail issues today!

I haven't experienced real cold at WDW, but I can tell you that in the warm months, AK always feels hotter than anywhere else on property!! Maybe it is the open spaces, I don't know..... but I don't think it's your imagination, I think you're spot-on! ::yes:: Something about that park gives it temperature extremes....

I haven't experienced real cold at WDW, but I can tell you that in the warm months, AK always feels hotter than anywhere else on property!! Maybe it is the open spaces, I don't know..... but I don't think it's your imagination, I think you're spot-on! ::yes:: Something about that park gives it temperature extremes.... .

I had to laugh when I read this! My DD says the same about Epcot. According to her 5 year old self a couple years back it is the hottest place in WDW and all of Florida :)

I haven't experienced real cold at WDW, but I can tell you that in the warm months, AK always feels hotter than anywhere else on property!! Maybe it is the open spaces, I don't know..... but I don't think it's your imagination, I think you're spot-on! ::yes:: Something about that park gives it temperature extremes....

Lots and lots of blacktop...AK is akin to walking through a parking lot in many places. Now THOSE mondo lots are the hottest places on the planet to me!! lol :rotfl2:

So sorry for you. Hope things get better!!!!:yay: My friend just got back and said she had some of the same problems:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter