Here now- things to bring and trip notes

We take Turkish Beach towels with us. Somehow the repel the sand and work better than regular towels. We take them in our carry on and use them as a blanket for the flight. they roll up very easily in a compact roll.
Same!! We LOVE Turkish towels!

We just got back and really missed the grills but we’re still able to adapt and change our shopping to cook for not having the grills.

If you rent a car pack your patience. We waited 2.5 hours for ours.

The “adult only” pool is still being used for everyone of all ages so be prepared for that.

If you see something in the gift shop you like buy it. Everything was going super fast. They did have a Christmas Tervis.

We just got back and really missed the grills but we’re still able to adapt and change our shopping to cook for not having the grills.

The “adult only” pool is still being used for everyone of all ages so be prepared for that.

If you see something in the gift shop you like buy it. Everything was going super fast. They did have a Christmas Tervis.
Hope you had a wonderful time…

wow 2 1/2 hours for your car ..I thought things had gotten better for that..what car rental company did you rent from..

Any word on the streets of Aunties maybe opening soon?

It doesn't appear from the outside that Auntie's will open anytime soon.

We opted not to get a rental car this time since prices were crazy anyway. $250 round trip through Superlimo with a stop at Costco. Tina was super fast to respond and even when Hawaiian changed our flight time three times, it was no big deal. We would do that again for sure.

Hi Clansac! Would you be willing to do a speed test on the in-room Wi-Fi? My boyfriend and I are thinking about a last minute trip, but he has a couple of work commitments that he’ll need reliable high seed Wi-Fi for. You can go to the website “speedof.me” to run the speed test and then upload a screenshot or just post the upload and download speed results. Thanks so much!!
Just checked from 15th fl of Ewa while having breakfast on balcony. Photo won’t load, but 19.73 download & 24.66 upload. Hope you can make the trip!

Agree--the ABC stores usually have a good selection, and they aren't expensive. They also make nice souvenirs!

I bought RHB Hawaii Microfiber Beach Towels at the Swap Meet at the stadium but you can probably find them elsewhere on the island. Quick drying, sand free, ultra soft, lightweight and anti-bacteria. My family loved them and they a great souvenir. They didn't take up a lot of suitcase room either.

Hi all! I have gotten many great tips here so I wanted to share some updated things we have learned and general thoughts.

Thanks to a tip here, we got Beyond Charcuterie delivered today and it was amazing. Find her on Instagram and order!

Bring your masks and wear them. Most people have been great indoors and in the lobby areas but I hate seeing cast members having to remind/beg/ask people.

Things to bring that we have found really helpful:

Reusable water bottles or cups (we have Starbucks insulated ones)
A small soft sided cooler for taking drinks to the beach and pool with ice
Extra Ziploc bags for packing snacks and ice
The normal beach stuff etc.

Specific to DVC or suites-
10-12 cup coffee filters. There are prepacked Joffery's in the room but we brought our own coffee..there are no filters anywhere for purchase close by.
Salt and pepper- fatal error. Last time we grabbed little packets from Ulu but they don't have them out now. There is none to buy at Aulani or ABC!
Throw in some paper plates, if you have room. So you don't have to wash dishes as often.

Note- the ice maker in our fridge doesn't work. We aren't sure if it is off or broken. But you can get ice on every floor for your freezer.
Very helpful. Thank you for the info:o

unacceptable. but remember this is a company that let a beloved dog and handler go to save a literal buck.
I agree. I won't be surprised to see fees if/when it reopens :(:(
I don't think you guys understand the Aunty's Beach House business model. They already sell "premium activities" and meals that turn a profit. Not to mention spa treatments and 'AMA 'AMA dinners they sell to parents while the kids are in the Club. The free nature of the club is a marketing expense for those other revenue streams. Aunty's isn't closed because it's a money loser under normal circumstances, it's closed because resort occupancy is too low to support it, and many of their offerings won't be viable until Hawaii fully drops restrictions for all ages.

I don't think you guys understand the Aunty's Beach House business model. They already sell "premium activities" and meals that turn a profit. Not to mention spa treatments and 'AMA 'AMA dinners they sell to parents while the kids are in the Club. The free nature of the club is a marketing expense for those other revenue streams. Aunty's isn't closed because it's a money loser under normal circumstances, it's closed because resort occupancy is too low to support it, and many of their offerings won't be viable until Hawaii fully drops restrictions for all ages.

Yeah, somehow we dropped several hundred $$ at Aunties on our last trip - most of it is not free, and its very tempting and easy to spend on. Plus couples massage and meal and all the other stuff. The "free" part is a couple hours here and there during the day. We'll spend less this trip without Aunties, a lot less.

Speaking of occupancy, does anyone know what current booking levels are? DVC is full, but that doesn't tell the whole story. I'm talking about next week, a holiday week, when all current availability will be booked. Are they able to book at 100% or is it less?

May I ask what took so long? Is it because they are checking vaccination status? We are arriving next week but have preferred status so usually just jump in our car and go.

May I ask what took so long? Is it because they are checking vaccination status? We are arriving next week but have preferred status so usually just jump in our car and go.
I've always had a lousy time renting a car in Honolulu, even with preferred status, even pre-COVID.

I'll second @CaptainAmerica ... Even pre-COVID I've had to stand in lines with about as high a preferred status as you can get. There isn't any jump and go ...

Also make sure you do a walk around before you leave... I've always found things they would charge me for on return but weren't listed

Also make sure you do a walk around before you leave... I've always found things they would charge me for on return but weren't listed
I find this to be especially true with large or specialty vehicles. Jeeps, vans, etc. are used by surfers and other outdoorsy tourists for more than just getting from Point A to Point B on paved roads.

Speaking of occupancy, does anyone know what current booking levels are? DVC is full, but that doesn't tell the whole story. I'm talking about next week, a holiday week, when all current availability will be booked. Are they able to book at 100% or is it less?

Aulani was operating at about 85% this past summer. 15% of the rooms were taken out of inventory due to the soft goods refurb. We were last there in early October (Hawaii’s fall break) and most of our nights were either sold out or close to being sold out but it never felt unbearably crowded. I don’t believe there are any government-imposed restrictions on hotel occupancy anymore so yes, the resort could be at 100% if the soft goods refurb has been completed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter