Here now, testing Magic Bands

Rheinhold

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to give you guys an update of our testing so far. Flew in at 12:30pm from NY. At the Magical Express they asked if we had our Magic Bands. We used them to check into the bus. Very easy with no problems. Checked into the Contemporary also using the Magic Bands. We had set up online check in so we were done in probably 5 minutes. Our room was ready but we dropped our things and went to MK. We had booked PP for 3:00. Did that first, no problems. Since I read these boards, I knew I could double dip. Double dipped for Little Mermaid. We road that, did a few other rides until it was FP+ time for Space Mountain. Road that, no problems. Had an ADR for Be Our Guest. It was a nice restaurant. Not sure what the hype is about but my chicken breast was wonderful. DS14 had porkchops. He was underwhelmed with them but liked the side dish which he swore was just a fancy Mac and cheese. Now this is where the FP+ problem occurred. Had booked Thunder Mountain and Splash for after dinner. Both were closed because of an impending thunderstorm. Tried to rebook them on my iPhone. For Splash, it was after the time of the reservation so we couldn't. For Thunder, there were no times left. Didn't matter, really. We rode Splash later with about a 10 minute stand by wait. Thunder, we'll do tomorrow with regular fast pass. Funny thing was, when I got back to the hotel I checked my email. Message from Disney saying our previous selections were unavailable so we could use our bands for anything else that whole night! That's great, but who checks their email constantly while in the parks! Would've been nice to have known that earlier. Didn't effect us though, we rode what we wanted except for Thunder. Luckily we're here for 3 more days and park hopping. I'll be sure to look at my email if there are other closures!

Update: reading the email again, it was not for any FP+ selection but for 8 selected ones plus the original unavailable one if it opened back up. Still, there were some e ticket ones on the list!

So, you're still able to use regular fast pass while doing the Magic Bands? I thought that was a no-go.

Did you use your kttw cards to enter the park or your magic bands? Just wondering if you needed to use kttw cards to double dip. We check in on Tuesday and just want to keep my options open in case we get into a bind like you did. Thanks!

Thanks for the update - glad to hear you're having a great time! I am not looking forward to being tied to my iphone either - I am always asking my teen nieces/nephews to put theirs away so they can actually experience where they are and what they are surrounded by LOL. Looked over during both FOTLK and Wishes to see them both heads down in their phones. . . hello? and it was their first trip, not like they were bored.;) Thank God my DD hasn't gotten one yet for DGrD.
Anyway, Enjoy! and keep us posted - we're packing this weekend - can't wait to get down there.:goodvibes

Did you use your kttw cards to enter the park or your magic bands? Just wondering if you needed to use kttw cards to double dip. We check in on Tuesday and just want to keep my options open in case we get into a bind like you did. Thanks!

That's a good question! I'm curious too.

interesting about the notifications in your email. did you try to rebook via a kiosk or your smartphone? it seems they should have the notification available thru MDE on your phone or at the kiosk whne you swipe your magicband.

We were just there Aug 5-10. We were given KTTW cards and told they were backups in case the bands didn't work for something. The only thing the bands didn't work for us were to get the socerors cards so we used the cards. I asked at check in if we could get regular FP, and was told no! I don't know if the CM didn't know we could, or didn't want us to try! But, we tried it anyway using our KTTW cards and they worked, so yes you can use them to get FP. We used our bands to get into the parks.

OP here. Like the previous poster said, we entered using the magic bands. They still do the fingerprint but it was flawless each time. Actually, we got paper tickets earlier on from AAA then later tied them to our magic bands. So I walked into the park with magic bands, paper tickets and KTTW cards. And guess what, I could get fast passes with both the paper tickets and KTTW cards. I didn't do that, didn't need to and thought it would be a little obnoxious but I did switch off when I double dipped and saw both media work.

As far kiosks in the park, I suppose there are some, but since I have an iPhone I haven't looked for them. I thought it was strange they would email me about the closure of my preselected attraction. I suppose a text would've been better, I would've seen that. I don't think they ask for a cell phone but i wouldn't mind texts as long as its just while on vacation, Notifying me though the app would've been the best thing but I guess it doesn't have that capability. I did try to rebook with my phone but as soon as your time for your attraction begins (ie. if your attraction is at 7:00 pm and its 7:01) you can't rebook.

Today, we did Epcot EMH. Used the magic bands to design the cars but then couldn't upload them before the ride. Everyone who had the bands had that problem so next time were using our cards.

Went to HS. Nice to get a 3:00 TSM without getting there early. Did RNR and TT with magic bands and regular fast pass for TT. No problems at all with the magic bands at HS.

Going to MK tonight! Keep you'll updated. The DIS has been very helpful to me in planning these 5 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter