• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now...Need Allergy Meds

Silver Queen

DIS Veteran
We're staying at Kidani and 3yr. Old GS is allergic to something in the room. The resort store doesn't have children's allergy Meds. What's our best option? We don't have a car.

First I would decide what you think he might be reacting to and what you think you need to give him. What kind of reaction is he having? Is it a runny noise? itching?

I'm an allergy mom , so been there , done that ...many times! Most over the counter medications are not going to give you a dose for a three year old and the phamacy will not help!

I would call her doctor at home and get his suggestion and a dose. I am shocked that the resort would not have children's benedryl. Maybe see if they could get it from another resort. Benedryl is the go it for most reactions.I just checked mine and says under 5....as a doctor for dosage.

If it was my child....I would try to find some liquid benedryl on site and if you could not get the doctor, try a 1/2 tsp of that. My PA kid could have a tsp at 3 so that should be ok and then try to figure out the problem.

You may need to take a cab to a phamacy if you can not get what you need!

Hope it all works out!
Do you raise your DS or would his parents maybe have some more answers?

My pediatrician recommends Claritin. Benadryl will make the child drowsy. I agree with calling your pediatrician. There is a Walgreens close to property.

If it's a "seasonal" allergy,Children's Claritin liquid has a dosage for 2 and up, and is really good. As the PP said, you may have to take a cab to a pharmacy. I did a google search, and found a description of the Baby Care center at Epcot that says they sell children's allergy meds. I would assume that the baby care centers at the other parks would also sell them if that is true. Maybe your hotel can get you the number for the baby care center for the park you plan to visit today, if you're not already in the park, and you can call and ask.

also ask or call walgreens/walmart and see what the charge is to deliver may be cheaper that cab

good luck

btw if you can ask housekeepig to NOT use any cleaners in room an to mae up bed without hanging linens? may help to "wear" out what ever is bothering him

If you call the front desk, they have the name of a pharmacy that delivers to the hotel. We used it on our last trip.

In the past when my asthma was acting up, I was able to request an "allergy reduced room" and they ran an air purifier or something in there to remove any nasty stuff....maybe could they do that for you? And then ask the front desk to call around to the other hotels/parks/downtown disney - whatever to see if they can find you something ( : :)

In the past when my asthma was acting up, I was able to request an "allergy reduced room" and they ran an air purifier or something in there to remove any nasty stuff ( : :)

Interesting. You know, my DD7 (who is normally not affected greatly by allergies) always gets stuffed up in our Disney hotel rooms. Every time, without fail. She's never sick when we arrive on property, but by the time she goes to bed she's a mess. It's never at the pool or the parks, we've clearly identified it as being a problem in the room. We've always just found a way to "make do," you know? Never thought to ask for something like this. Wonder if it would help?

Hopefully you've been able to sort this out today. We've used the pharmacy that delivers to the hotel a couple of times. They will put the cost on your room charge. we've had our pediatrician call in a prescription there and got OTC meds from them as well. I think there's a delivery charge of maybe $7-10. Well worth it though!

Thank you so much to everyone who offered suggestions. We ended up going to the Baby Center at the MK. They suggested some allergy meds that they had there and my DGS's pediatrician called in a recommended dosage. Improvement has been moderate so far but DGS'S was able to enjoy his day. While we were out the hotel ran some kind of an ozone air treatment system in his room. BTW, my son and DiL are here and are, of course, the primary decision makers. They know that's I am on the Disboards and asked me to see if anyone could offer suggestions. There was some good information here. I didn't know about the possibility of a pharmacy delivery. Good to know. Once again, thanks to everyone.

People please do not give out medical advise unless you are qualified to do so.
Claritin is safe for a 3 year old assuming no other health conditions.
DO NOT give a 3 year old benadryl , guidelines were changed due to a large amount of ER admissions an deaths.
Play it safe, medication should not be used lightly,
Btw i am a Pharm .D

There is a target close by. Just take a taxi and get what the pediatrician recccomends.

Denise in MI

Interesting. You know, my DD7 (who is normally not affected greatly by allergies) always gets stuffed up in our Disney hotel rooms. Every time, without fail. She's never sick when we arrive on property, but by the time she goes to bed she's a mess. It's never at the pool or the parks, we've clearly identified it as being a problem in the room. We've always just found a way to "make do," you know? Never thought to ask for something like this. Wonder if it would help?

Before you go, call and request the VIP clean due to her allergic reactions. They will change the a/c filter, steam clean the carpet, wash the bedding in fragrance free stuff and I personally make sure that no floral smelling stuff is used. My DD can tolerate bleach but nothing floral scented.

People please do not give out medical advise unless you are qualified to do so.
Claritin is safe for a 3 year old assuming no other health conditions.
DO NOT give a 3 year old benadryl , guidelines were changed due to a large amount of ER admissions an deaths.
Play it safe, medication should not be used lightly,
Btw i am a Pharm .D

Um, I routinely give my 3 year old Benadryl and have done so since she was 18 months old, at the direction of her pediatrician and her allergist -- she has severe allergies to milk and eggs.

As far as I know, it is still the primary defense against food or contact allergies.

Um, I routinely give my 3 year old Benadryl and have done so since she was 18 months old, at the direction of her pediatrician and her allergist -- she has severe allergies to milk and eggs.

As far as I know, it is still the primary defense against food or contact allergies.

Benadryl is perfectly safe for younger children, but should only be given if directed by a doctor. Benadryl used to have dosing instructions for younger children, but parents abusing the medication and overdosing their children using it as a sleep aid has caused labels to be retooled to try to prevent people giving it to younger kids unless necessary and doctor advised. Bad apples ruin everything. "xipotec" was completely right that people should not recommend medications that require special dosing instructions from a doctor in order to be safe for younger children (but xipotec was wrong to say that Benadryl is not safe, it is under a doctors orders). One persons 3 year old may require a larger dosage than another persons 3 year, so recommending it with one child's dosing instructions could be an overdose to a another child. My 2 year old is bigger than my 3 year old and his Benadryl dose is actually more than hers. It's in the best interest of all, to only make recommendations of medications that are labeled with dosing for the child's age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter