Here Now ... More Crowded?

jnorman76

Earning My Ears
So, for those folks currently here, is it just me or does it seem like unusually large crowds for the second week in December? Seems like everything is pretty congested ... or maybe just me?

So, for those folks currently here, is it just me or does it seem like unusually large crowds for the second week in December? Seems like everything is pretty congested ... or maybe just me?

Since Thanksgiving there have been reports that crowds have been higher than usual and several others saying that are relatively light and manageable and pretty much what they have seen for early December.

My daughter who visited last week said she didn't know what people who said it was crowded were expecting because she thought the crowds were light.

Touring Plans said that yesterday had a crowd level of 1 at Epcot and 2 at the other 3 parks, which is about what they had predicted. When I looked at wait times on MDE in the middle of the day yesterday they appeared to be pretty light and, if anything, lower than last week.

If you think it seems crowded just imagine what it will be like in 2-3 weeks and enjoy the relative solitude. With all of their promotions, WDW is always crowded, it's just that some times are more crowded than others, and some other times are MUCH more crowded.

We leave Friday and I am just going expecting large crowds and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised. There have been many reports of early December being very crowded, however I distinctly remember MANY threads saying the same thing last year. I think there just isn't a slow time anymore and people are going expecting one. Perception is everything in these situations. So, I am trying to adjust mine accordingly. We'll see how that goes!:)

I just got back this morning and I thought it was slightly more crowded than in past years, but not by much. Wait times were not too bad all week I think the walkways just made it seem crowded.

We just got back today from a 7 night stay. We haven't been to the World at this time of year in a long time. I would say it was easily much more crowded a decade later. While it was easily much more crowded, I still felt we were able to do all we wanted to do.

And while crowded it was not ridiculously so. That is, except for Saturday night in Downtown Disney! Sea of people is a term that comes to mind. We went again on Monday and it was like night and day, much better.

Sorry for the rant, but I came away thinking that Disney is simply trying to maximize profits, and doing so at the expense of guests. It felt nearly the whole time we were there that the company is trying to stretch what the guests are willing to accept in order to maximize profits. I don't begrudge the company maximizing profits. But the experience is clearly (to me anyway) not what it used to be. But people still go. And newbies know of nothing else. Disney World is still a magical place, just not what it was and what it could be. Rant done.

I was just there Dec. 2nd - 9th, and I thought it was much more crowded than in recent years, but still what I would call "manageable".

We have been to Disney in December quite a few times and I have to say each year it seems to get a little more crowded but definitely still manageable. Last year we went the 2nd week in dec and chalked the heavier crowds up to the opening of the new fantasyland. Heading back next week and I am already preparing myself for the Christmas crowds. My goal is just to go and enjoy the trip and not stress!

I agree. More crowded then we have seen in December but manageable. Not to bad at all today tho at AK. Slowest day we have had so far this week.

Crowds seem pretty light to me...between fp + and going early I havent had to wait for anything really...at night parks seem desolate...granted I havent been to mk for mvmcp yet....crowds seem much lighter than whem I was here in 2011

What do you think I should be expecting next week for crowds? I went earlier this year the week before memorial day weekend and again at the end of August. Comparable, better or worse? TP shows it should be better. Thanks!

I'm here now too.. Sunday seemed a little crowded and MVMCP was pretty packed last night but today at HS .. Toy story mania was only a 45 min wait at like 12:30pm which makes me think it has to be kind of low crowds.. Even Peter Pan was only at 40min mid day on like Monday.. I think it varies depending on park but it hasn't been too bad and the weather had been beautiful!

Our previous three trips were the first week of December, and they were getting visibly more crowded each year.

This year, we decided to add Thanksgiving week as well as the first week of December. Stayed 11/21 - 12/7.

We knew Thanksgiving week would be crowded (it was) but the following week did not seem much better.

Sounds like this (the second week of December) is the week we should have gone?

We arrived 12/1 and just got home tonight. Yes, more crowded than expected especially MK. We use easyWDW for best parks to visit and all of the MK days were packed despite being a best park. AK was a ghost town though with Everest being a walk-on for at least the first 2 hrs the days we were there. In fact, paper FP distribution was for an immediate ride time! Future World in Epcot was about as expected, but I thought World Showcase was unusually crowded. HS was about as expected, but TSMM paper FP were completely gone within the first hour the park was open. A few things I could think of: late Thanksgiving, dance competitions first week of Dec overlapping Pop Warner crowds that arrived over the weekend, or more people are catching on that early Dec is "slow season" making it more crowded. We went the week before Christmas last year and it wasn't as bad.

Edited to add: the crush of people on Main Street and in front of the castle seemed dangerous after Wishes ended, both on Sat (expected that somewhat on a non-party day) and after Holiday Wishes during the Christmas party. I would have been very afraid to be in that crowd with a child or an elderly person. We are bringing my mother-in-law next year and already plan to watch Wishes from California Grill to keep her out of that horrible logjam after what we experienced. She is mobile and doesn't need a scooter but has balance issues from a stroke. I really wish there was better crowd control after Wishes, staying put and waiting for the crowds to thin was not an option - you were literally pushed along with everyone else.

Edited to add: the crush of people on Main Street and in front of the castle seemed dangerous after Wishes ended, both on Sat (expected that somewhat on a non-party day) and after Holiday Wishes during the Christmas party. I would have been very afraid to be in that crowd with a child or an elderly person. We are bringing my mother-in-law next year and already plan to watch Wishes from California Grill to keep her out of that horrible logjam after what we experienced. She is mobile and doesn't need a scooter but has balance issues from a stroke. I really wish there was better crowd control after Wishes, staying put and waiting for the crowds to thin was not an option - you were literally pushed along with everyone else.

Last night, we watched MSEP from FL and had to go through the Main Street shops just to get out. It IS more crowded, and significantly so.

I just got back this morning and I thought it was slightly more crowded than in past years, but not by much. Wait times were not too bad all week I think the walkways just made it seem crowded.

Agree completely. Slightly more but very manageable. Some more congestion at MK due to construction and Epcot at processional time but not bad.

Sorry for the rant, but I came away thinking that Disney is simply trying to maximize profits, and doing so at the expense of guests. It felt nearly the whole time we were there that the company is trying to stretch what the guests are willing to accept in order to maximize profits. I don't begrudge the company maximizing profits. But the experience is clearly (to me anyway) not what it used to be. But people still go. And newbies know of nothing else. Disney World is still a magical place, just not what it was and what it could be. Rant done.

ITA. We went 11/29-12/9 and feel the same way. We are done...for a few years at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter