• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now- MK security

We just returned and didn't have any issues with the extra security, except for at AK. The line there was very backed up at about 9:30 and it look us a good 20 minutes to get through security and scan our ticket to enter the park. We made it for RD at the other parks and it didn't feel any longer to go through than previous trips. If people with multiple compartment bags would be ready with their bags open for the screener the line would move even faster, but that's my own little pet peeve. The metal detectors moved very quickly as well.

We just got back from our trip (4/30 to 5/10) and sometimes we had to go through the security scanners, sometimes not. There didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

I was more bothered by the bag check but if you got behind someone with a stroller and backpacks...Ugh! One of the first days, I got behind a family with a stroller (which was checked) and they had at least 2 stuffed and bulging backpacks, a purse, a soft-sided cooler, and another small bag that I didn't know what it was for. I couldn't believe how much stuff they had and they only had one child. :confused3

Does anyone know how they are handling guests who cannot go through the metal detectors or be wanded due to implanted medical devices?

I noticed the guards are being much more thorough in bag searches. That's holding up the lines more.

And this is why my new Disney bag only has 3 pockets and everything inside is in clear bags. Easy to get through a search with.

And this is why my new Disney bag only has 3 pockets and everything inside is in clear bags. Easy to get through a search with.

I was thinking the same thing on the clear bags. In fact, I'm planning to have one in my pocket with the metal items already in it so I don't have to fish around at the scanners.

On our trip, some of the security officers were very thorough and checked everything. A few others, barely looked in my bag.

Observations from my trip last week:
  • Random is about as random as how quickly can the next security agent get back to pull the next person "randomly" out of line for a 2nd check. Almost as if they had quotas.
  • Some parks has every bag-less person go through the scanner while others specifically said not to go through unless chosen.
  • Almost never chosen when I had my bag searched.
  • I partially felt good that they were doing extra checks but the way in which they chose people made it fairly easy to exploit.
  • Once selected, no one really made sure you went through the line when it got busy. DW didn't want to go through it once and just walked around it.

I'm all for this if it replaces the time consuming and not very effective bag check
The metal detectors pickup metal carried on your person. It doesn't pickup what you are carrying in bags, so it would be in addition to the bag check.

Observations from my trip last week:
  • Once selected, no one really made sure you went through the line when it got busy. DW didn't want to go through it once and just walked around it.

What?? She was selected to go through the metal detector but didn't want to so she just walked around it? And no one said anything??

We just returned and didn't have any issues with the extra security, except for at AK. The line there was very backed up at about 9:30 and it look us a good 20 minutes to get through security and scan our ticket to enter the park. We made it for RD at the other parks and it didn't feel any longer to go through than previous trips. If people with multiple compartment bags would be ready with their bags open for the screener the line would move even faster, but that's my own little pet peeve. The metal detectors moved very quickly as well.

Did you try the side entrance through the Rainforest Cafe? Was that backed up?

This may be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have 3 trips booked in the next six months to try it out, but depending upon how I am treated these may be my last. I am a combat vet with PTSD and lots of surgical metal implants due to my injuries. Getting jostled in a crowded area and moved to secondary screening is almost too much for me to bear. I get rater defensive with intrusive questions and "handsy" security screeners. I need to take an Ativan prior to going through TSA. I already have to avoid some of the more congested attraction queues due to the anxiety they cause me.

I sincerely hope they somehow can accomplish what they need to while allowing me to maintain my dignity as I don't want to give up my happy place.

This may be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have 3 trips booked in the next six months to try it out, but depending upon how I am treated these may be my last. I am a combat vet with PTSD and lots of surgical metal implants due to my injuries. Getting jostled in a crowded area and moved to secondary screening is almost too much for me to bear. I get rater defensive with intrusive questions and "handsy" security screeners. I need to take an Ativan prior to going through TSA. I already have to avoid some of the more congested attraction queues due to the anxiety they cause me.

I sincerely hope they somehow can accomplish what they need to while allowing me to maintain my dignity as I don't want to give up my happy place.

A couple of things if I may.

In no way am I dealing with the issues that you have to, but I can definitely have a short fuse and in fact blew my cork with a supervisor the first time I was selected for screening. Mainly because I think it's largely a waste of time and done for show.

That said, your dignity will in no way be compromised in this process. The CMs are very polite about the whole thing, there is not any questioning that I've seen, intrusive or otherwise. And any jostling that happens won't be anything more than you experience in a theme park in any given situation. I've never been touched, even when I set off the alarm and I've never seen anyone else touched either.

I'm pretty certain you'll have no problem thoroughly enjoying your happy place just as before.

Be well and travel safe.

Did you try the side entrance through the Rainforest Cafe? Was that backed up?

Yes, after going through bag check we got in line to scan our MB on the left side by Rainforest. That line was slightly shorter than the rest, but still backed up.

What?? She was selected to go through the metal detector but didn't want to so she just walked around it? And no one said anything??

It wasn't one of the times she was selected, it was one of the ones where it was implied that everyone who came without bags had to go through the scanner. She said that since no one explicitly told her to go through she wan't going to. It was confusing that some entrances worked like that while others were explicit that if you were not selected, you did not need to go through it.

If people with multiple compartment bags would be ready with their bags open for the screener the line would move even faster, but that's my own little pet peeve. The metal detectors moved very quickly as well.

That's what had me shaking my head during our visit. Security was telling folks to open up their bags well in advance of reaching the screener, and yet they got to the screener and their bags were still zipped closed :mad:

My backpack only has two zippered compartments. Whatever is in there is in plastic bags. When I get to the screener, by bag is unzipped and it only takes a few seconds to check it.

On our trip, some of the security officers were very thorough and checked everything. A few others, barely looked in my bag.

I noticed that when I went. It all depended on the screener.

Last edited:
It wasn't one of the times she was selected, it was one of the ones where it was implied that everyone who came without bags had to go through the scanner. She said that since no one explicitly told her to go through she wan't going to. It was confusing that some entrances worked like that while others were explicit that if you were not selected, you did not need to go through it.

I get it. We found at MK especially it was a little messy--lots of tapstiles and feeding into only 2 detecters. They seemed to say everyone had to go through, but with the employees there, they couldn't effectively control what happened once you went through the tapstile. Plus the employees did not seem to have a plan for what to do with all the kids and strollers that were not supposed to go through it. So I went ahead and went through, but DH ended up on the other side with the kids and stroller without going through (not really trying to avoid it, just trying to deal with the kids and stroller), and no one noticed. They need more detecters if they are going to send everyone through.

I get it. We found at MK especially it was a little messy--lots of tapstiles and feeding into only 2 detecters. They seemed to say everyone had to go through, but with the employees there, they couldn't effectively control what happened once you went through the tapstile. Plus the employees did not seem to have a plan for what to do with all the kids and strollers that were not supposed to go through it. So I went ahead and went through, but DH ended up on the other side with the kids and stroller without going through (not really trying to avoid it, just trying to deal with the kids and stroller), and no one noticed. They need more detecters if they are going to send everyone through.

We had the same thing happen. They had a hard time with stroller families. Another time they told my wife she had to go through but let me go without a scan. Seemed a bit pointless. She was not happy. That time I told her security was watching and she would get in trouble so she walked through. I was just poking the bear!

I made a post back in October (I think it was, may have been January trip) that I was concerned with the method they were using to deal with kids and strollers when they wanted both parents to go through the detectors. My specific post was in regards to IG entrance. Which is not very crowded and easier for them to contend with kids. I expressed concern then that I thought that method would be a mess at a busy, park main entrance. That there were security risks being added to the situation by not only the kids being pulled away from parents but with the way belongings were not being tracked when put in the bowls. They really are not keeping good track on what bowl belongs to what person and when we entered a busy gate last week there were people reaching and grabbing for their items with no one making sure the items belonged to that person. The more people they send through the scanners the worse that is getting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter