• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now- MK security

I'm okay with it until they make me remove my shoes and belt and take my laptop out of my bag and put it into a separate bin. Not that I take a laptop into the park, but I just might if they act like the airports. it's the point that matters.

I can assure you it never took more than 30 seconds to drop our phone in a bin and walk through
Every time. There has never been a back up in the one for those without bags, not at rope drop or any other time of day

In your experience.

In mine, yes. The bag backup is longer than the no bag line, but I have seen backups at the no bag entry.

Just for starters, guests with a stroller bin full of stuff- bag or not- have their bin searched, and others have to wait.

We got home last night. My husband was randomly selected 100% of the time for the metal detectors. That's 10 entrances over the trip, scanned all 10 times.
What struck me was the beefed up security in general. We made it to Epcot a little late yesterday and the place was crawling with security. More uniformed presence than I had seen on previous trips, but some subtly placed plain clothes as well.

:rolleyes1 Not that I have anything to hide, but this always "increases my paranoia :scared: ...like looking in my mirror and seeing a police car."

I was thinking the same thing. Screen at TTC...give those people a stamp on their hand that they were screened or tie to MB.

Screen prior to bus boarding at resorts, tie to MB or stamp hand. And then at the front gates, anyone without a stamp will go through security there (like people coming from Contemporary, or one of the monorail resorts)..

It seems to me that if a bad guy gets cleared somewhere other than the main entrance, you simply meet your accomplice outside the front gates of whatever park and he hands you a backpack with four semis- and 8 extra clips for you and your buddies and chaos ensues.

It seems to me that if a bad guy gets cleared somewhere other than the main entrance, you simply meet your accomplice outside the front gates of whatever park and he hands you a backpack with four semis- and 8 extra clips for you and your buddies and chaos ensues.
Except if all entrances are covered

Can't get on a monorail until scanned as the ttc and deluxes and Epcot are covered. Can't get to the main gate as buses and walkway is covered as well as getting off a boat

Unless you have an inside CM but one hopes they scan their employees as well

Except if all entrances are covered

Can't get on a monorail until scanned as the ttc and deluxes and Epcot are covered. Can't get to the main gate as buses and walkway is covered as well as getting off a boat

But I can get cleared at TTC, monorail to Epcot, meet my buddy in the parking lot who hasn't been cleared. Same at the other parks via bus or boat. Or my buddy can walk over from the Contemporary.

Yes, all of these possibilities could be covered, but it would require massive expenditures on equipment and personnel which is never going to happen.

The only way to insure that no one takes anything dangerous into the parks is to make them nudist, allow no carry in stuff, no strollers, and make everyone go through a cavity search.
Since that's not likely, everyone just needs to maintain situational awareness and put up with the security theatre.

In your experience.

In mine, yes. The bag backup is longer than the no bag line, but I have seen backups at the no bag entry.

Just for starters, guests with a stroller bin full of stuff- bag or not- have their bin searched, and others have to wait.
Maybe but every entrance this week had multiple guards and if someone had a stroller to search one did that while the others waved the rest right on past
If someone had bags they were shown to the bag line, they didn't let them in that point

We'll be back in a month. We'llsee how it changes with summer crowds.

The only way to insure that no one takes anything dangerous into the parks is to make them nudist, allow no carry in stuff, no strollers, and make everyone go through a cavity search.
Since that's not likely, everyone just needs to maintain situational awareness and put up with the security theatre.
Quite true. While the extra measures don't bother me they also do nothing to make me feel more secure. It's a great show but is not going to stop someone intent to do harm.

Now,if Disney ever goes "full TSA" and makes Guests remove shoes,belts,EVERYTHING in pockets,etc.,I would gladly pay for a pre-screen card at WDW!lol:)

I would just skip the trip at that point, and so would many others. It won't go that far. I'm glad they've put the metal detectors in, though. It's a needed extra dose of security.

CMs can randomly have our bags, cars, or persons searched at the discretion of the company. They can and do use dogs when they search our cars. I've had my car searched once, but I generally don't drive backstage unless I'm working at Epcot during a festival weekend or the holiday season. (My role usually requires me to park in guest areas.) If we're assigned lockers at our work locations, those can be randomly searched as well.

I agree with all of your post except the bolded. I don't think making these choke points at theme park entrances back up even more than they already do helps make us more safe at all. I think it's intended to make people *feel* more safe, but I don't personally think it does much to actually increase saftey. Brussels is a prime example of why, IMO.

And if something happens just outside a park they will be able to say it didn't happen in a park. Not sure how that may work into the actual thinking, but there have been reports about the lengths to which they go to avoid having to report a death in the parks. As much as I hate to think this might be a factor, they've invited people to entertain the notion.

And if something happens just outside a park they will be able to say it didn't happen in a park. Not sure how that may work into the actual thinking, but there have been reports about the lengths to which they go to avoid having to report a death in the parks. As much as I hate to think this might be a factor, they've invited people to entertain the notion.
It's still on WDW property, and in any news cycle would be "an attack at Disney World"- there's no getting around that. While I don't agree with handling it as they are choosing to, I don't know that the reason above is why they've gone this route. I lean towards thinking it's strictly covering themselves with insurances and possible lawsuits...in the event something does happen, they can show they did "everything" in their power to prevent it, and can't be held liable.

It's still on WDW property, and in any news cycle would be "an attack at Disney World"- there's no getting around that. While I don't agree with handling it as they are choosing to, I don't know that the reason above is why they've gone this route. I lean towards thinking it's strictly covering themselves with insurances and possible lawsuits...in the event something does happen, they can show they did "everything" in their power to prevent it, and can't be held liable.

It's very likely they have received threats, which are forcing them to do something about security.They need to do something so when it happens they can say, "Yes , we received threats and attempted to stop it...but you know, its not possible."

Its nothing but a smokescreen to make people feel safer at WDW.

I have never seen anyone at WDW with a gun, so if they corner a psychopath armed to the teeth, what are they gonna do? Call Han Solo???

giphy.gif

I have never seen anyone at WDW with a gun, so if they corner a psychopath armed to the teeth, what are they gonna do? Call Han Solo???

giphy.gif

There is plenty of unseen security at WDW. I wouldn't equate unseen with not existing.

Nevermind.
I think that's a stock answer for former presidents, prince harry and others are in the park because of invictus games. epcot was doing everyone on saturday but not sunday for example..
Okay I hadn't read the entire thread. I see this has been addressed.

Is this the reason, they shut everything down at MK today?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter