• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now- MK security

Was at a white sox game on thursday :cool2:, and they had the metal detectors as well. Just a small line to get it, but it took little time at all. The Cellular field, its just a table, and your stuff slides alongside you.
I thought the trough worked remarkably well. Your can see the angle on the front of it and your stuff slides forward past the detector. So it was just drop your stuff in, walk through and the grab your stuff at the other side.

I'm all for it! If given the choice of being in a theme park where every single person has been scanned vs a theme park where only a fraction of the guests have been scanned, I know which park I'd pick. It's like the airport analogy where you can choose to fly on a plane with no security lines and no scans but barely any wait time OR you can wait in line for a bit while everyone gets security clearance. Which plane do you choose? The benefit outweighs the inconvenience for me!
(Plus, I usually get "selected" at the airport for additional screening 3 out of 5 times I fly anyway so I'm just used to being the randomly selected now 8-))

It has less to do with the number of visitors per year, and more about the number of visitors during the day. You can expect that it should be similar for most parks. Hollywood Studios is approximately 40,000 people capacity per day. Sporting events at major stadiums see more. As @robinb notes below.

Was at a white sox game on thursday :cool2:, and they had the metal detectors as well. Just a small line to get it, but it took little time at all. The Cellular field, its just a table, and your stuff slides alongside you.
Baseball games and NFL games have multiple entrances. Disney parks have one. If they require everyone to go through a metal detector, there will be a backlog of guests, especially at opening and soon after.

What happens if you set off the detector because you have metal in your body? Like as in a hip replacement? Do they just wand you or do you get groped, which at times has been more personal than necessary, like at the airport?

They use a wand.

Baseball games and NFL games have multiple entrances. Disney parks have one. If they require everyone to go through a metal detector, there will be a backlog of guests, especially at opening and soon after.

And this is what I get for skipping coffee this morning. :coffee:

We were there last week and some days everyone had to go through metal detectors. Caused quite a back-up since there were so few.

Honestly, for years I've wished they would do some sort of scanning (of cars, etc.) before people can get on Disney property...

I experienced the "everyone goes" last week at AK and it really wasn't much of a problem. I prefer this to the random security theater approach.

It did, however, expose a slight chink in their security armor. I spent my couple of minutes in line after the bag check moving various items from my pockets to the bag I was carrying - phone, wallet, Ecig, ear plugs in a cloth sack & Ecig battery. These were things I didn't care to put on a filthy tray.

It would have been no problem to move a folding knife or some such as well.

I also wanted to add, that the Chicago Cubs (I think all baseball clubs) now require people to go through metal detectors at the entrances. I have been to 4 games, including Opening Day, and I really did not experience a slower line because of it. There is a little trough next to the machine where you put your bag (after it's been checked), your keys, phone, wallet, etc so your stuff is never out of your sight.

CfytX8MWsAAyKcP.jpg
Ballparks and football stadiums have many many entrances to spread out the entering crowds. At MK, DHS and AK there is one entrance that *everyone* has to funnel through. Those logistics are much different than stadiums logistics.

I'm all for it! If given the choice of being in a theme park where every single person has been scanned vs a theme park where only a fraction of the guests have been scanned, I know which park I'd pick. It's like the airport analogy where you can choose to fly on a plane with no security lines and no scans but barely any wait time OR you can wait in line for a bit while everyone gets security clearance. Which plane do you choose? The benefit outweighs the inconvenience for me!
(Plus, I usually get "selected" at the airport for additional screening 3 out of 5 times I fly anyway so I'm just used to being the randomly selected now 8-))
It's your wings

Our local six flags has had metal detectors for years. Really doesn't seem to hold the line up any more than ticket scanning.
6 Flags has nowhere near theamount of visitors that MK gets. I've seen pictures of the horrible crowds in the area outside the MK bag check during holiday weeks...that's *without* everyone going through metal detectors. Metal Detectors certainly aren't going to make those crowds any better. This makes me very happy that, so far, we've been able to go without going over a major holiday. IMO, sending everyone through the metal detectors is just going to make the area *prior* to the metal detectors more of a target, especially on the crowd level 10 weeks.

I think people have a view of 'local theme parks' that is different than what they actually are...

Here is a photo from Kings Island. No, Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks don't have as many travelers per year, but make no mistake- these parks can get crazy busy!Kings-Island-Opening-Day-2014-Front-Gate-760x360.png

I think people have a view of 'local theme parks' that is different than what they actually are...

Here is a photo from Kings Island. No, Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks don't have as many travelers per year, but make no mistake- these parks can get crazy busy!View attachment 167394
I'm well aware of what crowds can be like at local parks. I specifically referred to holiday crowds at MK. Think Christmas Day wall to wall backed up crowds fIlling up the entire area from the MK turnstiles back to the bus drop off. That is a lot more people than crowds that gather at any Six Flags I've been to, as that area in WDW is physically much larger than the entrance areas of the Six Flags I have personally been to.

Last edited:
What happens if you set off the detector because you have metal in your body? Like as in a hip replacement? Do they just wand you or do you get groped, which at times has been more personal than necessary, like at the airport?
To add to the other answer, the metal in your body might not set it off anyway. My mom has metal in her neck from when she broke it, and it has never been a problem.

and, FWIW, I feel that the crowds in the kings island picture above are also a target (assuming that pic was taken pre security as its use implies), just as pre security crowds at MK would be. Both situations would make me uncomfortable from a security standpoint.

I was there May1-8 and never had to go through the metal detector which is great for me....I have 3 joint replacement and would have set it off. My husband was pulled aside in Hollywoid studios. That was the only time any member of our group of 9 got pulled for extra screening.

It's like the airport analogy where you can choose to fly on a plane with no security lines and no scans but barely any wait time OR you can wait in line for a bit while everyone gets security clearance. Which plane do you choose?
If that first plane exists, I'm all over it - how do I book?!? But then, I'm not fond of being "protected" by big brother in the first place so I quit flying after removing your shoes became non-optional...

I was there May1-8 and never had to go through the metal detector which is great for me....I have 3 joint replacement and would have set it off. My husband was pulled aside in Hollywoid studios. That was the only time any member of our group of 9 got pulled for extra screening.
I'm hoping for a similar experience next week, fingers crossed!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter