Just wrapped up day 2 of our 8 day trip. Tuesday, we rope dropped FOP at AK. Got plenty of stuff done, then back to hotel for nap, followed by evening at EPCOT. Then "rope dropped" Space Mountain this morning, followed by other stuff, lunch at Crystal Palace, then nap, and on to HS evening.

Quick notes -

- Parks seemed crowded, but no more than normal for this time of year. The parking lots were empty enough that I was scratching my head as to how much capacity the missing attractions could take up. We don't have attendance numbers, but I am guessing the numbers won't look particularly great to management.

- not having fastpasses sucks. But it only sucks for those of us that do a good job planning. I bet the average "i just showed up at the park and expect this to be like Six Flags Plus" crowd is having a great time. The clerk at our hotel was telling us about the time she stood in line 4 hours for FOP. Pretty sure she would have been really happy waiting up to a max of 90 minutes yesterday when we were at AK.

- just guessing here, but it seems clear to me that Disney doesn't intend to not have a fastpass option (betting on a paid variation) for too long. The queues snaking out into the open sun are so "not Disney." I would have expected them to create more shade and install fans (at the very least) if they think they are going to stick around for any significant amount of time. An ugly line with no theming in the hot sun is not a very magical feeling.

- RD fop was totally worth it. The let us stream into FOP about 740 if i remember correctly. We were quite a bit back in the crowd and we were on in about 20 minutes. Most of that was walking thru the endless track of queue without stopping.. Not sure why i let my 10 year old talk me into "rope dropping" Space Mountain, but it didn't turn out very efficiently. The crowd was already pretty intense by 8:30. I took some pictures of the crowd behind us and in the hub while we waited at the Tomorrowland Bridge at 8:45. As previously reported, they don't let anyone thru until exactly 9am. I will try to attach pics. It seemed like the expected wait time for SM was exactly the same at 9:30 as it was when we got on. We are "rope dropping" (quotes bc they don't let you thru until 9am, so not sure it really counts) MK tomorrow, too, and hopefully will report back more successful results by going to BTM first.

- the heat is a factor. Although it isn't a deal breaker, it will zap you.

- avoiding the lines with a paid fp option will definitely be utilized by people like me, even at a significant cost. I live 12 hours by car away and try to visit once a year (but in reality less than that). For us, trying to coordinate a time when family members can go is going to result in going when school is out. And that means crowds. And I am willing to pay to optimize our trip.

My 19 year old said today that instead of going once a year, she thinks we should go once every 3 years and save for a couple or 3 days of ViP service if we get other family members to go, too. I think that is the sort of direction paid fp will take us - going less often and spending more when we go.
Pretty much agree with everything you’re saying. I do think rope dropping Space Mountain saved a little bit of time, but one thing everyone needs to realize is that time is time. Getting to Magic Kingdom at 8:30 just wait half an hour before Park opens, and then wait in a short line for your first ride…. You are still waiting 30 minutes plus ride queue, whether it’s in line somewhere or not.

My older daughter mentioned that this morning, re. FOP. We waited 66 minutes I think last night and if we would have rope dropped it this morning, sure we probably would’ve been on in less than 20 minutes but we also would have to get to animal kingdom at least 30 minutes early. Not having FP+ is a huge difference this trip.
Hope the rest of your trip goes fantastic!
-Dan

Thank you everyone who has taken time to share their recent experience!
We are going mid-August and have ADRs at Beirgarten, Chefs de France, Sanaa and Homecoming.
Can anyone share recent pictures of what in-door dinning looks like (at any restaurant)?
As someone worried about but still planning to go, I’m wondering if we might be better off doing the Food & Wine kiosks.

Based on below it says all attractions so that would include Safari, which makes sense as you are seated close together.
It doesn't make a lot of sense on something like Dumbo, but I figure it was just easier to say all attractions rather than create exceptions.

"Cast Members and Guests ages 2 and up, to wear face coverings in all indoor locations at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort beginning Friday, July 30, regardless of vaccination status.
At Walt Disney World Resort, this includes upon entering and throughout all attractions and in enclosed transportation vehicles, including shuttles, buses, monorails and at Disney Skyliner,”

Safari is not an "enclosed" vehicle. Neither is the ferry which is not listed. I believe (hope?) this is only going to be enforced indoors or in enclosed spaces.

We are rope dropping MK right now. They are still holding us until 9 am. I'm hoping they let us in the lands early tomorrow when the indoor mask mandates start again.
I really doubt they will, because in all honesty they don't care and it's not about the safety of guests (if it was they would've always left it as that and they'd go back to social distancing and having actual capacity limits.) I'd love it if they did, but it's easier for them not to, so I doubt it.)

We are going mid-August and have ADRs at Beirgarten, Chefs de France, Sanaa and Homecoming.
Can anyone share recent pictures of what in-door dinning looks like (at any restaurant)?
As someone worried about but still planning to go, I’m wondering if we might be better off doing the Food & Wine kiosks.
They basically look the same as usual...perhaps a few less tables, but nothing substantial or noticeable for us. Maybe someone will have a picture, but I'd go into with the mindset that it looks pretty much like what it used to with perhaps a bit more space between tables, but not much.

Last edited:
I don’t have pictures, but our experience has varied quite a bit. For instance Hollywood Brown Derby lunch was maybe 1/2 full, docking bay 7 dinner was completely full, Satu’li canteen dinner was maybe 1/4 full, via Napoli for lunch was maybe 1/5 full, whispering Canyon Café Lunch was maybe 1/4 full.

update: today we did Satu’li canteen for lunch and it was probably 3/4 full. Way different than yesterday for dinner

Dan

Last edited:
Getting to Magic Kingdom at 8:30 just wait half an hour before Park opens, and then wait in a short line for your first ride…. You are still waiting 30 minutes plus ride queue, whether it’s in line somewhere or not.

That's true. But when you are waiting in line outside the park, the park isn't open and you couldn't be in another line or doing something else inside the park. You only have a finite amount of time inside the park each day. Once the park is open, if you are waiting in a line that means there is something else inside the park that you could be doing that you can't. This is why I don't mind getting there early and waiting outside the park.

Of course, you could be sleeping or eating breakfast somewhere rather than waiting outside a closed park. My goal, normally, is to maximize what I can do inside the park. It just depends on what your priorities are.

Our last trip about a month ago still had some distance between tables at the resorts and parks, but we did notice that while eating in Disney Springs, things seemed to be back to normal. City Works, Raglan Road, Homecoming - all felt crowded in comparison, even if they weren’t actually back to 100%.

Back at HS this morning to ride a few things we missed yesterday.

Our bus luck ran out. We were at the bus stop at 8, a huge group there and not everyone got on. By the time the next bus came, it was filled as well. We weren’t willing to join in the craziness of elbowing and shoving to get on. Finally made it on the 3rd bus but well past opening.

The news about the new policy has made the rounds. It’s irritating listening to the ranting.

That's true. But when you are waiting in line outside the park, the park isn't open and you couldn't be in another line or doing something else inside the park. You only have a finite amount of time inside the park each day. Once the park is open, if you are waiting in a line that means there is something else inside the park that you could be doing that you can't. This is why I don't mind getting there early and waiting outside the park.

Of course, you could be sleeping or eating breakfast somewhere rather than waiting outside a closed park. My goal, normally, is to maximize what I can do inside the park. It just depends on what your priorities are.
Yes, true. All good points. By the same token, hopping on a popular ride right at park closing extends your park day by quite a bit. We left animal kingdom more than an hour after park closing last night because we got in line for a flight of passage right before park close.

Dan

Last edited:
I really doubt they will, because in all honesty they don't care and it's not about the safety of guests (if it was they would've always left it as that and they'd go back to social distancing and having actual capacity limits.) I'd love it if they did, but it's easier for them not to, so I doubt it.)
If they aren’t making money social distancing, then they can’t stay open. WDW is not a government run organization that can operate while losing money. And Disney isn’t in the public safety business either. Most adults can do what they think is best for their family whether that is wearing masks, social distancing or staying away from theme parks in a pandemic.

This was Biergarten a couple weeks ago. ETA: They did not seat different parties together either.

Last edited:
Yea I was just going to mention that Disney is going back to requiring masks for all indoor attractions, dining, and shopping. It got pretty ugly on the Disney reddit and Facebook groups with people fighting about this. But I will say is that for anyone going to Disney World in the coming days to be safe and enjoy yourself and make the best decision about your health.

Personal opinion though, I do think it's for the best. When I was in WDW July 9th-12th it was pretty insane people had no sense of personal space while indoors and in line for attractions and stuff. Some guy literally coughed on the back on my neck while in line for Toy Story Mania ( that's how close up on me he was).

I will note that at MK today, most queues were in the sun for a good portion. We actually left when we saw that both Space and Peoplemover looked to be at least 20-30min in the sun. I agree that everything is what you make of it and we are still having fun. I will add that in about 15 visits to the parks, we have never seen lines anywhere close to this long, and they are staying long all day. Doing a fraction of what you’re used to in a day, in terms of rides, is disheartening.
I know this is from 2 weeks ago but I went back to read posts from when I was at the parks. We were at MK on the same day - Space was having an especially bad day that day according to the CMs. It went down at least 3 times. That probably led to the longer than normal wait times at Peoplemover. We were in line one of the times at Space when they cleared the queue but had only been in 5-10 minutes so no big loss for us. The next time it went down after we had boarded so we sat in the cars about 15 minutes before they evacuated us. That was actually kind of cool to be evacuated from the ride. HM, PoTC, Winnie the Pooh, and Peoplemover were all also down during the day at times we wanted to get in line. Others had temporary stops when we were in line. At one point later in the evening Winnie the Pooh had a line all the way out the queue, around the corner, and over to the teacups. We did still have lots of fun though and I got all choked up when Happily Ever After started to play. :blush:

Yea I was just going to mention that Disney is going back to requiring masks for all indoor attractions, dining, and shopping. It got pretty ugly on the Disney reddit and Facebook groups with people fighting about this. But I will say is that for anyone going to Disney World in the coming days to be safe and enjoy yourself and make the best decision about your health.

Personal opinion though, I do think it's for the best. When I was in WDW July 9th-12th it was pretty insane people had no sense of personal space while indoors and in line for attractions and stuff. Some guy literally coughed on the back on my neck while in line for Toy Story Mania ( that's how close up on me he was).
We were there July 14-21…also April 18th-25th…the one thing I loved in April I wish they would have kept were the 6 ft distance markers. Covid or not they were awesome. I realize with the current length of the lines they’d be a disaster but maybe once they open fp up and get lines under control it’s something they could re-explore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter