• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I totally agree on this point! We had the exact same experience this weekend. Especially when you're in louder areas of the park or somewhere with music playing, I found it really hard to hear CMs. It was especially difficult whenever they were wearing face shields in addition to masks. It's a small price to pay for a safer park experience, but I kept hoping I would get better at understanding without the visual cues, and I really didn't. Maybe next time...

Disney should probably adjust to this by lowering the volume of the music. In some places, it's always been too loud anyway, but with the masks and face shields, sounds like cranking it down is a necessity now.

Sitting at the airport after 5 days at VGF. The mask compliance and safety precautions were very reassuring while were here. We didn’t do AK so I can’t speak on that, but MK and HS has 99% mask compliance/social distance enforcement. I felt very comfortable there. Epcot has lower mask compliance but that is a function of F&W both on people walking and eating/drinking and some having a few too many. We went to Disney Springs to go to World of Disney and mask compliance was wayyy lower and social distancing was non-existent. The extreme comfort I felt in the parks was gone and we got out of there pretty quickly. YMMV but that was our first hand experience
sorry you experienced this. Hopefully the update that a guest must be stopped to eat and drink will decrease this problem.

They couldn't work on the ride during shutdown
I believe they could have, at least during s decent portion of the shut down. FL didn't shut down the same or as completely and def. not as long as some other states. Disney chose not to spend the money or deal with it.

I don't understand why Rise breaks down all the time. It seems like it is down more than it actually runs. Why did they open it in the first place when they knew something isn't right with it? It just seems crazy to me, all it does is stress everyone out. LOL
Well it has been open only about a week since shutting down in March. It will take time to ramp up operational reliability since it is a very complex attraction.

Dave

sorry you experienced this. Hopefully the update that a guest must be stopped to eat and drink will decrease this problem.
I expect it's the roving eating and drinking at EPCOT that's the primary need for the stricter requirements. Seems like some folks didn't realize how much their masks were down. Others kinda using it as an excuse to not wear it. Glad they're tightening up. We've seen many other places where eating and drinking has to be at a table - not roaming around.

Well it has been open only about a week since shutting down in March. It will take time to ramp up operational reliability since it is a very complex attraction.

Dave
But wasn't the ride like that before the shutdown? I thought it broke down a lot before also.

Just wanted to share with everyone. My family and I just returned from Disney on Saturday and had the best time. Low crowds, great eats, wonderful cast members, but one of the biggest highlights of my trip was running into a YouTuber....Paging Mr. Morrow. My family and I love watching him and enjoy all his videos.

We went July 10 and 11 for PH preview (DH and I only) and opening day but since we essentially have until August 11 to cancel we booked a last minute trip with the 40% off offer August 4-9 and are contemplating bringing the kiddos.

If we do bring the kiddos: DD is 1 and DS is 3. DS has no problem wearing the mask but I am a little worried about the heat. We avoid this time of year normally even without the mask requirement. DD isn't required to wear a mask but we will try to get her to wear one anyway- especially on the flight down. Anyway, the point of this post is to ask how everyone's very little littles are doing in the heat with the mask and lack of FP (longer wait times)? We saw lots of babies and toddlers opening weekend and they seemed fine but was just looking for some first hand experiences :)

They couldn't work on the ride during shutdown

I hadn't thought of that. But given FL's more aggressive re-opening, it seems like they should have been able to work on it at some point since March.

I believe they could have, at least during s decent portion of the shut down. FL didn't shut down the same or as completely and def. not as long as some other states. Disney chose not to spend the money or deal with it.

It would seem so. FL allowed people to go dine in restaurants and bars, so I don't see why they would have been prevented from having cast/crew work on the ride for at least some portion of the "shutdown".

I hadn't thought of that. But given FL's more aggressive re-opening, it seems like they should have been able to work on it at some point since March.

It would seem so. FL allowed people to go dine in restaurants and bars, so I don't see why they would have been prevented from having cast/crew work on the ride for at least some portion of the "shutdown".

Nothing from FL's side prevented them, Disney furloughed the employees. They can't be paying people when there's no revenue coming in

We watch him too but I can't stand the slow-mo eating he does - that music! We are always on the hunt for our favorite YouTubers - obviously anyone from the Dis, Tim tracker, Molly from All Ears, and Adam the Woo are some of our fav's we would love to run into. You always wonder how they would be in person. But alas the hunt for us goes on.

Just wanted to share with everyone. My family and I just returned from Disney on Saturday and had the best time. Low crowds, great eats, wonderful cast members, but one of the biggest highlights of my trip was running into a YouTuber....Paging Mr. Morrow. My family and I love watching him and enjoy all his videos.
We will be arriving this weekend for a Sunday - Sat trip.

Any tips you can share at this point? We are DVC/AP for the past 10 years, but due to some family weddings last year, have not been there in over a year...

Reposting my trip report: https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-report-wdw-7-15-7-19-brief-thoughts.3808043/

When we had some other travel plans get cancelled so I made this booking a few months ago with the attitude "Well, not idea if this will happen or not." Lo an behold, it happened. Trip was me, my wife, and our 2 boys (7 and 10).

Background:
Had originally booked Caribbean Beach, with the plan to get in late 7/15, then his the parks 7/16-18, fly back the 19th. Only figured we'd hit 3 parks anyway, so the lack of park hopper wasn't a big deal (and hadn't booked park hopper tickets to begin with). Called in a few weeks back, and got moved to the Contemporary as CBR still isn't open. Which brings us to the trip.

7/15
Flight was very, very empty. I had arranged a car service to pick us up, and they were very cautious about COVID (driver was wearing 2 masks; disposable on top of fabric). Arrived late (11 pm) at the Contemporary, online check in worked great, went straight to the room, only to see one of the few issues. Nothing was open, and the vending machines were...not great. Our floor (12) didn't work. I managed to get some snacks by going floor to floor, but nearly every drink machine was sold out of everything. Finally got a bottle of tea on one floor. We all went to bed.

7/16 - Magic Kingdom
Mobile ordered breakfast at Contempo Cafe. It was fine, but there was no syrup for the waffles. Getting downstairs proved to be a challenge for a lot of people. Being on 12, took us about 3 elevators to get one (Elevators are limited to one party or 4 people; being a party of 4, we had to have our own elevator). We then stopped at every floor on the way down. I can't imagine how long it took to get an elevator on, say, the 7th floor. Monorail was awesome; one party per cabin, felt very safe. Temperature check was inside the hotel, before going through security.

Getting into the park, it was almost surreal how empty it was. I've been in some low crowd times before, but nothing like this. I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes for any ride all day. No splash mountain merch anywhere; store was closed and the ride exit store had nothing but pressed pennies. Kind of disappointing. The splashing is turned way down, which is great for people like me who don't like being soaked. No poncho necessary. Haunted Mansion is a bit odd with no stretching room. Rides are frequently paused for loading to be disinfected. Every line has a minimum of 3 hand sanitizer stations: one at the entrance to the line, one at the end of the line before you board, and one when you get off the ride. Had lunch at Cosmic Ray's, and mobile order again was well managed. And remember: everything is cashless. Don't show up without a credit card or magic band or a phone with mobile payments enabled.

All in all, it's still fun. Some stores are closed, but I can't think of a time I was within 6 feet of someone with a mask off. We headed back to the room to shower before dinner at California Grill. 7:40 reservation, and not seated until 8:10, but I'd rather be a little behind than them rushing folks or putting people too close together. Spacing was great, and the lack of fireworks kept any folks standing outside to a minimum. Food was as good as ever, occupied tables were plenty far apart, and servers were going out of their way to remain cautious. I really like the QR code mobile only menus.

7/17 - Hollywood Studios
Took the bus, and no issues. They were careful to keep the loads only to what the bus could fit, and there were more busses running to make up for the lack of people per bus. More of a crowd today, for sure. That said, the only significant waits were Rise of the Resistance (Boarding Group 9, but the ride went down while we were in line and we chose to wait that out) and Runaway Railway (probably 50 minutes). Slinky Dog Dash was probably 30 minutes, but Midway Mania was nearly a walk on, as was Smuggler's Run. You could see more people in Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land, but the Tower of Terror/Rockin' Roller Coaster end of the park was pretty empty. Had lunch at Ronto Roasters, and they were having people wait for tables to be sanitized between every party (using a yellow EcoLab spray). Had a late afternoon reservation at Olga's, and that was very well spaced. All the booths seemed to be in use, then there were standing tables and bar spots as space allowed. There are only 2 collectible cups now (the Endor one and the Porg mug); not sure if that's a permanent change. We also built droids (with a reservation) later in the day; crowd there was low. They have the bays with barriers between them. Some were single, others double, which meant both the boys were working side by side without a divider between them. Dinner was at 50s Prime Time. Table spacing was a bit more odd in here (some tables seemed less than a full 6 feet apart, but the layout inside is a bit atypical to being with), but we didn't feel uncomfortable. We got the last bus back (7:40 dinner reservation), and were the only ones on it.

7/18 - EPCOT
Took the bus again (as the EPCOT monorail isn't running), and it went fine. Lower crowd than HS for sure. After HS the day before, it was a reminder of how badly EPCOT needs some of the coming attractions. But it's still the same EPCOT I love despite the construction. Nice to see Spaceship Earth one more time in the current form. The Food and Wine Booths were all good, though some were closed unexpectedly. Similarly, most of the country pavilions only had one set of shops open. Surprised to still see some cast members from their countries (Germany and Japan, in particular, had quite a few). Lunch was just snacking around some Food and Wine booths (China's was a big hit with the dumplings and bao buns), and dinner was at Germany. I've never seen the Biergarten so empty, but spacing was not an issue and the family style system works. This was also the day the rule changed to "you must stand still to eat/drink with your mask off" and, not that I saw much of it, but cast members were working to enforce it.

7/19 - Checkout was super easy and automatic. No issues.

Odds and Ends:
-Photopass ride photos and magic photos seemed to take a lot longer than normal to appear in the account. Regular photopass photographer photos shows up very quickly, though.
-I didn't see the typical rude people or entitled person meltdown the entire trip. I can't remember a time I haven't witnessed at least one or the other per day. People were well behaved and happy to be there.
-Pin Trading is nearly non-existent. We only found a handful of boards across all the parks.
-Checked everyone's temperatures this morning, and no fevers so *knock on wood* we ended up as safe as we felt.
-Wearing masks are no big deal. We used disposable ones mostly; they seemed to be the most comfortable in the heat. You could get by with one a day, but changing to a clean one mid-day was nice. Not a fan of the Disney ones comfort level, but YMMV. (We did use cloth ones on the flights.)

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them about what things are like right now.

We went July 10 and 11 for PH preview (DH and I only) and opening day but since we essentially have until August 11 to cancel we booked a last minute trip with the 40% off offer August 4-9 and are contemplating bringing the kiddos.

If we do bring the kiddos: DD is 1 and DS is 3. DS has no problem wearing the mask but I am a little worried about the heat. We avoid this time of year normally even without the mask requirement. DD isn't required to wear a mask but we will try to get her to wear one anyway- especially on the flight down. Anyway, the point of this post is to ask how everyone's very little littles are doing in the heat with the mask and lack of FP (longer wait times)? We saw lots of babies and toddlers opening weekend and they seemed fine but was just looking for some first hand experiences :)
Please note that for your one year old, the CDC states masks should not be worn by children under 2 (due to suffocation risk): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

How are they handling cleaning the buttons on Mission Space, the screens on Test Track, etc? Do they do it between each guest?

Test Track's build screens are disabled. There's no reason to touch the screen in the vehicle. It seems to be being sprayed down with the vehicle as a whole.

Mission Space (and Smuggler's Run) seem to be wiped down every hour or so. The majority of guests seems to be using hand sanitizer before and after riding. With that plus the mask, risk for contamination seems low.

I went to DW from Wednesday, July 15th to Sunday, July 19th with my son (2) and stayed at Pop Century. We are AP holds and DVC members. I tried to note some of the things that would have been helpful or insightful since the reopening.

1. First, Disney did a great job making us feel safe. You can tell a lot of time was spent on finding the best ways to encourage social distancing, enforcing masks, keeping crowds apart. I have no concerns bringing my mother (in her 60's) to the park in a few weeks.
  2. I didn’t get full use of the Table in Wonderland card. For example, all of the quick service restaurants that allow TiW (hotel food courts) are now mobile order only. It would be nice if Disney allowed us to attach our TiW card to our profile so we could get the discount. I’m sure if I talked to a manager they would apply a discount somehow but it wasn’t worth the hassle.
  3. I hope Disney keeps the relaxation zones. With a 2 and 4 year old they often fall asleep in the stroller. It’s difficult on a normal day to find a place to relax with them in the shade. Big areas like Tomorrowland Terrace are perfect for us but it’s often closed. Tomorrowland Terrace is now a relaxation spot and was a perfect spot for a break. Why can’t this always be the case?
  4. My son loves the skyliner and I was excited for a new form of transportation. However, of the 4 times I planned to use it, only once was it open. It’s disappointing that it closes down with any risk of a storm. I totally get that guest safety is priority but it doesn’t make much sense to invest into a system that isn’t safe with any risk of thunder in Florida. It storms everyday there.
  5. The cast members were great. Feels like the Disney service from the 90’s when I was a kid going to Disney World. This is probably because they are all full time cast members. I hope Disney starts to shift back to a model of more more full time cast members vs temps and college students. We often hear Pete on the podcast mention this and I never gave it much thought. However the level of service this week was noticeably better.
  6. Mask compliance was 99.9% Only once did I see somebody take it off during a show. If anybody took them off the cast members did a great job of reminding them of the rules. I’m sure dealing with this isn’t fun for cast members.
  7. You might want to bring your own water to the park. In the past you could go up to a quick service restaurant and get a cup of water. However with only mobile ordering, that is more difficult. I wish Disney would add the option of tap water to mobile ordering.
  8. All of the food we had was excellent. I think since the kitchen doesn’t have to focus on so many people they can take the time to prep a meal the way it was intended. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great.
  9. Even though the food was excellent, the Pop food court was pretty limited. Some of the fun things that you can get like mickey waffles for dinner or ice cream weren't available. Not a big deal, but something to know before you go.
  10. One of the things that I hate about the parks is the security lines. It’s a hassle with children in strollers, diaper bags, etc. This often prevents me from park hopping. The new technology they are using that lets you walk right through with only taking out is a HUGE step forward. We used it at Animal Kingdom, Epcot at the International Center entrance and Disney Springs. They need to hurry up and get it installed everywhere. When going through the traditional metal detectors you now have to take out umbrellas, sunscreen cans and metal water bottles. You can keep your backpack on but it often goes off. And if it goes off be prepared to empty your entire bag item by item. I had my backpack go off at EPCOT and I had to take out each item one and one and put them in a bin. This was a major hassle.
  11. If you are driving don’t speed on property. With less traffic it’s easy to go 20mph over the limit. However I often saw OC police with radar guns on our way to the parks and back each day. Use WAZE even if you know your way around.
  12. I feel like I’m missing something with the exit of Disney Studios. For quick weekend trips I often stay at Pop Century. Every time I leave Disney studios I have to go west on Osecola HWY, double loop on the next exit and go back east on Osecola HWY just to get back to Victory way. Is this really how it’s designed to leave the park? Seems like the civil engineers missed something here? It’s super simple with an entrance right from Victory into the park, why the hassle to get back? This is a poor design for a brand new entrance.
  13. I didn’t bring a popcorn bucket because I thought there was no way they would do refillable popcorn now. Turns out they still offer it. All you have to do is show your popcorn bucket and you get popcorn in the cardboard holder.
  14. Disney has facemasks for sale. However it’s totally random if they will fit regardless of the size on the packaging. The sizes are all over the place so it’s like buying a lottery ticket if they fit. This is one thing you can’t return or exchange so you're stuck with it even if it doesn’t fit.
  15. As mentioned we stayed at Pop. In the past the rooms were sort of clean. Usually if you wore white socks you could expect them to be dirty from the floor. Dust was in hidden areas of the rooms. This time the room was spotless (like it should always be).
  16. Disney has been really cramming the cars closer and closer in the parking lot. I absolutely hate parking at Disney. If you or the person next to you doesn’t park exactly in the middle of the spot (not off more than 6”) you can’t get out of your car. People can't open their trunks to get a stroller out or parents can’t open the door the whole way to get kids out of a car seat. Not to mention I have a new Denali that I really don’t want door dings in. Parking every other space was so nice. In the future I don’t need every other space but I really need more room to park and get out and in. This one thing that needs to look at (considering the price of parking).
  17. You can now self check into restaurants. This is a nice feature and saves time waiting in line.
  18. I really like how characters just pop up in the parks. I think this is something they should do going forward. We saw them on the lawns in EPCOT and on boats going around Animal Kingdom. It was exciting for my son and added to the experience.
  19. If you have little kids don’t expect to be able to do much in some of the parks, especially Studios. All we could do there was TS Mania, Alien Saucers, Muppets, Mickey Railway and Cars. With no shows taking place I was very limited in what we could do. Since it was just my son and I, rider swap wasn’t an option. If you are paying full price for a ticket to studios I would skip if you have very little kids and can’t rider swap.
  20. Not necessarily Disney related but it makes you appreciate Disney. On our last day I went to Sea World. I had not been in a while and we already did all 4 Disney parks. Social distancing and mask compliance was a disaster there. At best 50% of the people wore their masks during shows. Walking around maybe 80% wore their masks. Sea World employees never addressed it. If they aren’t following this obvious safety rule, what other safety rules are being overlooked. It was a day and night difference compared to Disney World. Makes you appreciate how Disney handled the situation.

Disney has facemasks for sale. However it’s totally random if they will fit regardless of the size on the packaging. The sizes are all over the place so it’s like buying a lottery ticket if they fit. This is one thing you can’t return or exchange so you're stuck with it even if it doesn’t fit.

Interesting. Might explain why none of the ones we bought were even remotely comfortable. We only bought 4, and some are still in their bags.

CHunterk: Thank you for your report. I have been looking for experiences to gauge whether or not I should go in the near future.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter