Here now- it's cold!!

We were there the last week of October and, well, I know exactly where you're coming from! Our predicted forecast included high 70's - 80's but Superstorm Sandy had other ideas. The highest temp achieved during the last 3 days (2 of which were unplanned as flights were canceled) of our vacation was 60 (though I really cannot complain, especially being from the Northeast and not knowing what Sandy was going to bring to my home while I was on vacation). We were in jeans, sweaters, hoodies, etc.

When I stepped out of the Philadelphia airport, straight into 40 degrees, I found myself thinking: I bought a sweater while basking in 60 degree weather? PA has been stuck in 20-30 degree weather for the last 2 weeks and well, I'd even take that 40 I experienced on the 1st of the month! :)

You scared me. I was thinking of the 2010 version of "cold". As in....... high of 42.

Still, sunny and 70 would be even better. :goodvibes

We need to form a support group for those of us who were there then. :)

We have a trip planned in Feb. We were there last Feb and it was quite chilly at least one of those days (especially the day we went out to Daytona to visit family, brr!), so this Feb we are hoping for something unseasonably WARM! Tired of being cold in Orlando!

Yikes! Me too :eek: We were there in '10 and didn't go last year, and it was warm (wouldn't you know it?). Decided to try this year 11/26 - 12/7 and now I'm worried again :rolleyes1
Now THAT was cold. :cold: I am there every year in early Dec, but never felt cold like 2010 there!!! You are in charge of the support group, Molly.

Its a tough time of year to predict the weather in Florida. I remember Thanksgivings when we had the AC on full blast and Thanksgivings with coats and mittens.

I'd plan for both warm and cold weather, its better to be prepared than having to buy the $60 sweatshirt at the emporium! :goodvibes

bumbershoot said:

We have a trip planned in Feb. We were there last Feb and it was quite chilly at least one of those days (especially the day we went out to Daytona to visit family, brr!), so this Feb we are hoping for something unseasonably WARM! Tired of being cold in Orlando!

Lol, I was there that December too, and the following January. Both were soooo cold, as in NY cold, heard it was warmer here than in disney while we were there!!! But hey, I rather be in disney and be cold than anywhere else!!

we usually go in December too, 2010 was cold but we loved it, it really drives the feeling of Christmas home when it's in the low 40's!

65 and above is shorts and t-shirts for us, sounds wonderful.

I was there in early December 2010. I wore shorts most days. It was cold at night, I wore fleece jacket and gloves. But it was not unbearably cold!

I just got home from watching the holiday fireworks at the Poly beach. The 8 mph wind coming off of the lake with 59 degree tempatures was mighty cold on the exposed skin. Brrrr!

I was there the week before Christmas in 2004. I remember taking the tram from the parking lot at TTC and the tram driver telling us the current temp was THIRTY TWO DEGREES. It was COLD. We didn't go to AK that trip because everyone we talked to in the parks said that the animals wouldn't come out. LOL (plus I was only there 3 days, so one park was getting cut. That was it.) Of course, we had packed for 60's and 70's, not 30's and 40's. Yep, bought a sweatshirt. And a Santa hat with Stitch ears on it!

Is it really cold?

WDWXMAS2010221.jpg

WDWXMAS2010212.jpg

We were then, too, and it was bitter! We had been that time of year before and never experienced that type of cold. I wish I had more than one pair of jeans with me.

OP, I hope the weather improves for you. I feel your pain!

Hahahah! That was CRAZY! It was so empty, but soooooo cold! I was extremely glad I had brought my winter coat, hat and mittens from home (in VERMONT, for heavens sake - and we even thought it was cold!) One EMH night it was so cold I had 2 pairs of pants on - but there was NO ONE there! ;)

We were there too and probably the same day as you. Space Mountain was a 5 min wait...When during Christmas wk can you find that short of a wait time, especially for that ride! I was wearing 4 jackets and I am from NY so I'm used to cold. The only good thing is we missed a big snowstorm here. I have been to WDW a few times during Christmas wk and had warm weather, I was wearing shorts one New Years Eve. One never knows what the weather could be like. We're going again next month and I just hope the weather is not of repeat of 2010!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I think you're right!!! We were there! :thumbsup2

I was there too. It was my last trip with my Dad to WDW, and we were both freezing. I expected real snow at the Osborne lights, lol!

The temps this past week have been very nice. A little cool at night, but not so much that I need a jacket, and perfect during the day. I'm hoping for weather like this when I go to WDW next month.

Another one here who was there is 2010. We had a 54 hour flight delay out of the UK due to heavy snow (we really can't cope with snow here) and then arrived to frost on the ground in Florida!!!!! I still haven't packed up the courage to book another Christmas holiday at WDW, but hopefully I will one day.

I remember in 2010 having to go out to my car and start it because it was covered in frost on a couple mornings. Felt like home, but it was odd leaving a hotel room on vacation to start your car because it was cold.

It only takes one trip to Disney in the cold to rewire your thinking. We went in early November back in 2008 and the entire week we experienced 50 year cold weather records. I quickly learned that 65 means 3 layers on top... shirt, sweatshirt, light jacket...and once you hit 60 it usually meant adding tights or long underwear under your jeans, gloves and a hat. What a lot of people forget is that Disney is usually quite windy so all those temps could drop another 5 to 10 degrees in regards to real feel. Also, the forecast temp may only be for a couple of hours in the afternoon and the rest of the day it is warming up from the 30's, 40's, or 50's...which can be pretty cold when you are outside so much. This year we were there for Jersey week and had a couple days in the 65 range. The first day of it, I walked down to the bus stop and looked funny because I had my three layers on and everyone was still in shorts and tanks. My hubby was laughing at me; he is a bit more warm natured and had all the top layers but shorts on as well. I told him to hush up and we would see. All day long I saw people freezing and so many children cold and whiny. The next day at the bus stop everyone was dressed like me. It only takes once. :rotfl2:

It's always nice to experience WDW not melting and searching for places to cool off!

Lots of jeans and sweatshirts this past week. I saw many hardcores with shorts and flip flops but I think they thought it was so much better than where they are from.

Really got chilly at night. One day while leaving Epcot it was drizzling and windy--not a fun walk out of the park :eek:

Crowds were very light all week, so most of the rides were walk-on. Loved that.

No pool days for us this past week, which was a bummer because we always enjoy those days. Spent more time in the parks than we normally do, so it got a little repetitive.

It only takes one trip to Disney in the cold to rewire your thinking. We went in early November back in 2008 and the entire week we experienced 50 year cold weather records. I quickly learned that 65 means 3 layers on top... shirt, sweatshirt, light jacket...and once you hit 60 it usually meant adding tights or long underwear under your jeans, gloves and a hat. What a lot of people forget is that Disney is usually quite windy so all those temps could drop another 5 to 10 degrees in regards to real feel. Also, the forecast temp may only be for a couple of hours in the afternoon and the rest of the day it is warming up from the 30's, 40's, or 50's...which can be pretty cold when you are outside so much. This year we were there for Jersey week and had a couple days in the 65 range. The first day of it, I walked down to the bus stop and looked funny because I had my three layers on and everyone was still in shorts and tanks. My hubby was laughing at me; he is a bit more warm natured and had all the top layers but shorts on as well. I told him to hush up and we would see. All day long I saw people freezing and so many children cold and whiny. The next day at the bus stop everyone was dressed like me. It only takes once. :rotfl2:

This is so true. We didn't experience the legendary cold snap of 2010, but even at the same time last year when it was much, much warmer we still were pretty chilled at times. We figured our toughened Canadian hides would find 65 practically balmy, but once you factor in the wind, we were really, really glad of our layers and jeans.

I've been watching the weather forecast obsessively for our trip (leaving on Friday), and of course it keeps changing completely this far out. Either way we are packing for all weathers just to be safe.

Agree with PP. 65 is awesome!!! If it were 65 when I arrived in February, I'd be in heaven. It's so funny how feelings change so drastically depending on where you come from!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter