Here Now. Is it just me or are cast members not as friendly?

Just got back Tuesday night. I found all but one cast member to be their usual wonderful selves. One problem was trying to use the dining plan to get a turkey leg in frontierland. After ordering, they said the computer was down we had to pay cash. I told them that we didn't have cash on us, because of the dining plan. The cast member then suggested I go to the ATM and pointed out where it was. What they should have done was said "I'm sorry, our computer is down right now and we can't accept magic bands" before anyone in line ordered.

Just got back Tuesday night. I found all but one cast member to be their usual wonderful selves. One problem was trying to use the dining plan to get a turkey leg in frontierland. After ordering, they said the computer was down we had to pay cash. I told them that we didn't have cash on us, because of the dining plan. The cast member then suggested I go to the ATM and pointed out where it was. What they should have done was said "I'm sorry, our computer is down right now and we can't accept magic bands" before anyone in line ordered.

That happened to me in DHS at an ice cream cart, the whole system was down and I couldn't pay with the band. I agree, they should have just shut it down somehow or told people before they picked out their stuff. Thankfully my DH came back and had cash on him.

We went to WDW in December. Generally, the castmembers were fine. The servers we had at the restaurants, however, made me wish that we didn't have 8 people in our party, and so they were automatically got an 18% gratuitity. Minnie at the Hollywood and Vine dinner came to our table while we were up getting our meal. I feel the server should have told us that she would be at our table momentarily and to wait for her to arrive. The characters were doing their little march around the restaurant as we were being seated, so, we didn't know which character was coming to our table and when. But, we just waited until she came around again. The second was at Liberty Tree Tavern. Our server was so slow in bringing our meal that we waited 30 minutes after finishing the salad to bring the entree. And, then when he did, he brought a quantity that was probably intended for a party of 4 and not 8. Some people in our group had to wait about 15 minutes or so for him to bring another platter. Not what I would expect at all for $50 per person for a meal. Then the waitress at Boma was outright rude. She was from New Jersey, so, that might be why we people from the Midwest thought her behavior rude. My son had gotten up from the table momentarily to get another serving of soup. I gently told her her so when she came by seconds later to take his spoon, which he had left on his napkin. She very arrogantly told me that she was a "professional" and knew how to do her job. She didn't have a replacement spoon, so when he got back 30 seconds later, he asked me where's my spoon. So, we scrambled around to get a new one long before she arrived with a replacement. This continued throughtout the meal, with food disappearing when somebody got up to go to the rest room, but, somehow, none of our drinks were refilled. Oh well.

This exact reason is why some people here tell guests to make sure they carry cash with them into the parks.

We went to WDW in December. Generally, the castmembers were fine. The servers we had at the restaurants, however, made me wish that we didn't have 8 people in our party, and so they were automatically got an 18% gratuitity. Minnie at the Hollywood and Vine dinner came to our table while we were up getting our meal. I feel the server should have told us that she would be at our table momentarily and to wait for her to arrive. The characters were doing their little march around the restaurant as we were being seated, so, we didn't know which character was coming to our table and when. But, we just waited until she came around again. The second was at Liberty Tree Tavern. Our server was so slow in bringing our meal that we waited 30 minutes after finishing the salad to bring the entree. And, then when he did, he brought a quantity that was probably intended for a party of 4 and not 8. Some people in our group had to wait about 15 minutes or so for him to bring another platter. Not what I would expect at all for $50 per person for a meal. Then the waitress at Boma was outright rude. She was from New Jersey, so, that might be why we people from the Midwest thought her behavior rude. My son had gotten up from the table momentarily to get another serving of soup. I gently told her her so when she came by seconds later to take his spoon, which he had left on his napkin. She very arrogantly told me that she was a "professional" and knew how to do her job. She didn't have a replacement spoon, so when he got back 30 seconds later, he asked me where's my spoon. So, we scrambled around to get a new one long before she arrived with a replacement. This continued throughtout the meal, with food disappearing when somebody got up to go to the rest room, but, somehow, none of our drinks were refilled. Oh well.

LOL, I know that waitress at Boma from NJ...I would have said the polar opposite. BEST server ever. We tipped her VERY well the night we ate there. She was amazing and a boat load of fun. Then again, I'm from Long Island originally, so....

I think that people in general are getting ruder overall and some CM's are probably getting caught up in that. People in general seem to be more demanding and more "it's all about me" which must get awfully tiresome for people that work with the public anywhere. Plus it's hard to get enough workers from what I hear which is probably why so many are doing double duty at WDW and other themeparks.

Besides if they talk to each other or don't sparkle at some point does it really affect the overall vacation? I don't think that it does.

We have friends who work as CMs at DAK and I think the issue isn't always that it is difficult for Disney to get enough workers, more that they pay is low and it is difficult to get a 40-hour work-week guaranteed. So, many CMs are having to do multiple jobs just to make ends meet.

I think I've seen basically this same time several times a year since 2010.

And no, the cast members don't seem any ruder to me now than they did in 2002.

This exact reason is why some people here tell guests to make sure they carry cash with them into the parks.
I understand the need to carry emergency cash/credit card, which we did have on us. But with the dining plan, it seems ridiculous to pay cash and basically throw those credits away.

I just returned home last night, and I was paying attention to the friendliness of cast members because of this thread. I felt the happiest and nicest cast members were older in age (except for one lady who we rented our sea racers down at the Contemporary with). Frank from the Crystal Palace was amazing!

The college kids seemed to be interested in talking to themselves instead of to the guests. They always seemed to be standing around in pairs. I definitely agree with the OP that the customer service was not as good as in the past. It has been 5 years since my last trip to WDW, and I remember being flooded with more pixie dust and happy and excited faces the last time. I did have one college aged student who did a great job. I went solo on Peter Pan while my family was off doing other things, and he told me he was sprinkling pixie dust on me since I was alone on the ride. He seemed to really enjoy what he was doing. He waved his hand on the lap bar just before it was ready to go down and mentioned the pixie dust at that time.

I don't want to come across that I'm bashing teens/young adults, because I have two of my own, but they seemed disengaged with the guests. They weren't doing anything wrong-it just wasn't the level of happiness and enthusiasm I expected.

I know it isn't WDW but when I went to Disneyland Paris a cast member held my brother's (13) hand really strongly at the entrance, and also held mine but I thought i was overreacting. When my brother told me and my mum that he held his hand like that, I (18) told her really politely why did she held his hand like that and she told me really loud and rude, that I didn't get it because she had been working all day and thats why she was in a bad mood so I said, so you accept that you held his hand like that? And she got really mad and when I turned around she called me STUPID. In front of a lot of people in the entrance of the park. I went back and told her to apologise to me because I heard what she called me. She said she didn't said anything. I said my mum, brother and I had heard it and she was like 'okay sorry' but being really rude. All this happened back in march 2015.
I went to Customer Service and they weren't really much help tbh. They asked me if Id be happy with a pin. I said no, that I just wanted a solution because there's no way I would let some cast member just called me stupid. I gave her name and they made me fill a paper telling what happened.
Never heard anything from Disney apologising or anything. It made me leave Disneyland Paris with a really bad taste. Also, I once heard some spanish cast member say in spanish coño and some more insults to a family that was just asking for directions.

Terrible cast members there in Paris. i would never go back. Ill stick to WDW, I know some cast members aren't as great, but never met a RUDE one just like I did with MANY in Paris. Im happy with the excellent CM's that makes us come back. Even if we just have 1 or 2 excellent experiences.

I will always remember the time my brother went to get pop corn by himself at 8 years old, we were seeing him from our spot of the parade. He came back and gave us back the bill but he had a pop corn with himself??? Somehow the CM saw him alone, talking in spanish and got him the Pop corn lol. Also that one time my brother got a car at the park and the CM's at Poly wanted to play with him but the car had no batteries, so they somehow found batteries and when we tried to pay him he didn't let us. He literally did all that just to play with my brother and spend a good time with him. Of course this was back in 2009. None of these amazing stores in our next trips, but they were still okay :) Ill have to see this summer when I go back.

Some CM's are just great and im grateful for them. Not so much for the ones at DL paris lol.

I Saw 2 CMS this January that were TOO friendly! They were embracing romantically at the exit to HM. Try explaining to your 6 yr & 9 yr old princess granddaughters why the HM butler & maid were hugging , oblivious to their surroundings!

We have friends who work as CMs at DAK and I think the issue isn't always that it is difficult for Disney to get enough workers, more that they pay is low and it is difficult to get a 40-hour work-week guaranteed. So, many CMs are having to do multiple jobs just to make ends meet.

That isn't an excuse. I worked 60 hours a week for years in a truly high stress field. you don't get to choose to be crabby when you sign a contract saying you will be cheery because you are tired. You buck up and do the job as it is meant to be done.

Probably because people who have been going for years--40 for me--have seen a decline in the general attitude of the castmembers.

I think workers in general were treated much better 40 years ago, and they in turn treated the park guests much better. Not to mention it is a lot easier to find shiny happy people to man one park than it is to find shiny happy people to man 4 parks, 2 water parks, 2 mini golf courses...........

But as someone who has been going to WDW for only 20 years, I haven't seen much of a decline in cast member attitude.

I have been reading this thread off and on, here's my opinion, after living in Orlando and visiting the parks for 18 years and having family members and friends working at WDW.
I have also seen a decline in some CM attitudes and practices, It's a lot of factors that combined create this problem
-CP kids that are excited to come work at Disney only receive 1 day of Traditions (it used to be 3 days) then are thrown into long hours with very little pay because Disney takes away money for their housing. Most of CP are happy to work, others just take it like a 6 month paid vacation and are interested in partying and meeting other people (have you ever heard of wild parties at Vista Way?)
-Regular CM same issue get only one day class and then don't have enough hours during slow times because those shifts are given to much cheaper labor (CP kids) and during busy season are way overworked. When you are visiting and you see a manager (regular, dress clothes) doing the job of front line CM you know that's a problem, they should be attending other things but there's not enough staff so they have to pitch in as well.
-The internet and social media revolution: yeah I see us as part of the problem. Before people didn't know what a magical moment was, they were just so surprised that they've received pixie dust, be it for a child to say "All Aboard" on the train or opening the park, or being a part of any of the shows, or all of a sudden some door opens and there's a bunch of characters...it has an element of surprise. Now with fan boards and forums we now can predict on when and where and how to get these special treats, and of course, some go out looking for it, and when they don't get it they feel cheated
-Sense of entitlement from the guest...because I'm paying all this money I expect to get special pixie dust and when I don't I get angry and upset and take it out on the first CM I see
-CM are on the defensive because they know they will have guests coming to yell at them on a daily basis for things that they can't control..
Guest: Why is this area closed off?
CM Fireworks are starting in an hour and we have to keep everyone safe
Guest: But I paid all this money to come ride xx attraction
conversations like this happen everyday multiple times a day, some guest are understanding and walk away but some stay and argue and ask for a manager...
-CM feeling defensive all the time block his or her ability to be joyful and happy and magical...imagine you are at your job and are just waiting for someone to come yell at you, how would you feel?
So it's a vicious circle...there's not one single reason but a perfect storm of circumstances.. anyways just my opinion
That being said Disney still has more happy CM than grumpy ones (and Grumpy is my favorite dwarf) :)

I am sure that there are CMs who are not up to the standard, even though I find Disney's service to be fantastic across the board. In my six trips there, with my most recent being January 2016, I think I have only encountered 2-3 CMs who were not up to the standard. For the most part, I find the CMs, be it CPs, older CMs, or in between to be very friendly and eager to please and on my most recent trip, every CM I met was fantastic! :D

Last edited:
That isn't an excuse. I worked 60 hours a week for years in a truly high stress field. you don't get to choose to be crabby when you sign a contract saying you will be cheery because you are tired. You buck up and do the job as it is meant to be done.

I wasn't saying it was a reason to be crabby? I was referencing someone else's post that indicated Disney was having trouble filling their open positions because there weren't enough people qualified to work there.

We had a similar experience to other posters as far as attitude was concerned on the tommorowland speedway. DH and DD (3) were in front of DS and I and we noticed they were whipping left and right really hard the whole time. I thought he was doing it at first driving Mr. Toad style to be funny. But when we came around a turn he yelled back to me that he couldn't control it. When we got out DD was crying very loudly. He told the two CMs what happened and asked them to remove the cart as DD got slammed back and forth the whole time and it wasn't safe. They never said sorry about that or offered to let them ride another cart their attitude was just like oh well. We didn't complain to anyone else about it but were surprised they just did not care that it hurt my little one and upset her. But I can honestly say that has been our only bad CM experience in WDW.

Last edited:
I really feel that some people's expectations are too high. Have you ever had a bad day? I know I have... I go at least once a year, sometimes twice.. I was just there in september for a quick girls trip and I accidentally brought my daughter's/child size poncho to the Halloween party and it was really raining. A manager gave me a fresh new poncho... I would never expect that but this is service you would never see at universal or anywhere else. In November, my son was dressed up as Peter Pan- 3 trips and we could never catch him or the line was closed. We were at Sleepy Hollow eating a waffle and the CM was talking to my children and my son said all he wants to do is meet Peter Pan. I told her he was not on the schedule and did not know what time he was meeting. She went out of her way to find out- of course it was only for 30 mins and the line was already closed- She told me she was not letting him leave without meeting him in his costume. Sure enough we met Peter Pan that day. He is 4 and he talks about this all of the time. She made his wish come true... That is the disney experience.. not expected but it can happen. There has also been a few occasions of frustrations but you also have to be realistic and understand some things are out of their control. But the reason I keep returning, and that my kids talk about the next trip everyday, is because how that magical place makes them feel and that would not be possible without the CM's.. they must be doing something right...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter