Here now, HOT HOT HOT, and FP+

chapie1968

DIS Veteran
First off, I have to say it is unbelievably hot and HUMID. We usually come down in Oct/Nov/Dec so we knew it would be hotter than we are used to, but WOW. The last 2 days have been the hottest of the year down here and toda is supposed to be the hottest!!! No rain whatsoever.

We are staying offsite, purchased our tickets through Undercover Tourist, booked our FP's 30 days out and decided to buy Magic Bands for the four of us.

So far the FP+ and MDE have worked flawlessly. But it seems like we are actually getting less done than we usually do. Now of course the crowds are higher than the fall months,but they aren't horrible. We are not rope droppers so I know that does limit us but we never have been rope droppers and we usually get everything done.

We did have a surprising night at MK last night. Had a swim, shop day. Didn't get to MK until 6:45 pm. Plans worked great. We planned to maximize staying until closing.
First FP was 7:30 so we went to the Country Bears to kill a little time. After that our time was ready and we rode Big Thunder with our first FP. We wee'n able to ride our next staggered FP(Mine Tain) until 8:55 so we walked over to new Fantasyland and did Little Mermaid(10 minute posted, on and off in about 15 minutes), then the Barnstormer(20 minute posted, on and off in 12 minutes) and then headed over to the Mine Train. Entered the FP entrance at 8:55, got to the front, requested last car, got right on, and we were off by 9:12. Not great, but it was a fun ride. It will be something I will make sure to hit each visit once the hype settles down. Started walking over to find something to snack on, headed over to Cosmic Rays and found a seat facing the castle and watched the early Electrical Parade go by as we ate. When we finished we had about 15 minutes to kill before our Space Mountain FP so we went on one of our no wait favorites, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.
When we finished we walked over to Space Mountain used our FP. Entered at 9:54 and were off and back outside at 10:02. Watched the rest of Wishes on our walk from Tomorrowland through the back of Fantasyland. Great views behind Fantasyland, I think we found a new place to watch them. Sure you give up the projection show, but you can find a fantastic viewing place without the crazy Main Street Crowds.

Our plan was to finish the nigh with a dark Jungle Cruise and Pirates ride if we had time. Made the trek all the way across the Park to Adventureland. Walked on the 5 minute stand by Jungle Cruise at 10:13 and were off by 10:25. Then scooted over to the 5 minute stand by at Pirates walked on, were seated at 10:33 and were out at 10:45. We wanted to beat the 11:00 Main Street Parade so we could get out so we hurried to Main Street and the throngs of people were leaving. Crossed over to the other side and my son and daughter decided they wanted something from the Bakery/Starbucks.
By the time we received our pastries and drinks it was 11:01 so we figured we're going to be in the crowds anyway, and it wasn't crowded along the parade route, so we may as well stay and watch the parade tonight then we don't have to worry about hitting it on Friday or Saturday. We made our way to the beginning of Main Street. We walked past the first 2 floats as we walked around the front loop to the train station side. We walked up and found an open curbside seat for all 4 of us. We stayed until the American Float entered the street and then left hoping to beat some of the big push of people leaving after the parade. I couldn't believe it, we walked right up the ramp and onto the monorail and were back to the TTC in a flash(seems like the monorail was moving much faster than usual). huge back up for the trams so we decided to walk to our spot at Scar 116. I'm glad we did. By the time we made it to our car exactly one tram came past us in the Villians lot and we would have had t wait at least for 4 or 5 trams before we got on.

We are staying out off of I-4 a little bit up the Palm Parkway. We went from watching the parade on Main Street at 11:20 to home at our Condo by 11:43.

Sure helps when you know how to navigate shortcuts through Disney Property.

We have been averaging about 12 minutes from where we are staying to each of the Parking Booths. We didn't time it to AK because we went there before we checked in on Sunday, stright from the Airport.

A few things
They really need to dump some old classics and find new experiences for Park guests at a few attractions.

Country Bears is terrible. The theater was about 1/4 full, it looks dated.
Maybe they could repurpose it and move it over as an attraction at Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge?

Ellen has to go. We took our kids on it for their first time ever just for a laugh. They could not believe how long and boring it was, but the did say, hey, 40 minutes of air conditioning. If they got rid of Ellen they would have that entire area along with the Wonders of Life Pavillion to make another high level attraction/thrill ride.

Carousel Of Progress, close it, use the area for something updated. I know it's a classic, but hardly anyone rides it.

Last but not least, as I said I rarely visit in the summer, but you would think that they would have some sort of system(sails, canopies, ect) for creating more shade in the waling area around the Parks, especially in Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. AT least EPCOT has many areas where you can duck in for some airconditioning like the WOrld Pavilions and Innoventions.

Booked a dummy room at Portofino Bay for two days of Express Passes. Headed to Universal to check out Diagon Alley today and tomorrow.

I was wondering how the heat feels. I checked the temps today and OMG!!!
We will arrive on the 29th.. I hope it cools off a bit. or we will have to change our plans around to accomodate the heat.

We are leaving tomorrow, I am dreading the heat, and this is from someone who usually goes in August. It looks hotter than what we have usually had in August and there is a big difference between a high of 90 and a high of 95 :scared:

Animal Kingdom is so hot in the summer. We usually don't go. I think it's the lack of AC places to jump into. Feels much worse than the other parks.

I love CBJ and CoP! And they are good places to cool off! :)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

we are also here at the world right now and totally do not like the humid and hot weather. makes me really think if i would like to come back again during the summertime.

At WDW now too, and we always do August. Stay hydrated, take that afternoon break, lots of shows for the afternoon to soak up AC, and August is very easy to do.

we are also here at the world right now and totally do not like the humid and hot weather. makes me really think if i would like to come back again during the summertime.

The temps seems to be higher this year. Last year, I think the highs every day were 87 during the week we went. Now it looks like they are higher? It does really limit how much you can get done. Darn school calendars if it wasn't for that!

90 degrees with 70% humidity. WELCOME TO FLORIDA, Y'ALL! :scared:

Just be thankful you don't have to deal with it all year like I do. lol

Pretty Much. Why do think a resident of Florida invented air conditioning?:thumbsup2 John Gorrie, He's even in the Washington DC.

And no knocking down of COP. Keep the classics

I was in South Africa last year from September to Feb (so for their summer) working outside all day in the sun where the hottest days we had hit 42 degrees plus humidity! Now that is hot! But you sweat a lot and hydrate and eventually it cools down.

Back in the UK now and it's summer - currently 17 degrees and I'm sooooo cold! Got slippers and a jumper on. Can't wait to get back to the Florida sun!

LOL

Yeah, Florida wasn't such a great choice for the second Disney park IMO.

If only they could pick up the whole thing and move it to Vermont for the summer then back to Florida for the winter ;)

When we finished we walked over to Space Mountain used our FP. Entered at 8:54 and were off and back outside at 10:02.

Did it really take over an hour to ride SM with a FP? Wow!! Thank you for such details...that will help me with my expectations when planning on how much time to allow at the parks. Certainly would not have expected that!! With waits like that (especially with a late night opening), I'm going to be sorely disappointed in what we can accomplish, but at least I won't be blindsided by it:scared:

I agree with you on some of the older rides, but I do hope they leave COP...it's a nostalgic walk through our history of advancements and I still enjoy it.

We were there last week and we were actually surprised that some days weren't too bad. We're from NJ and we have some pretty hot and humid days, but there were a few days last week that we thought were pretty doable. But, there were some REALLY hot days too. It rained every single day though, usually when we were indoors already, and that usually did cool it off A LOT. Hang in there-take those mid-day breaks. That helped us a lot!

LOL

If only they could pick up the whole thing and move it to Vermont for the summer then back to Florida for the winter ;)

Well, being local, I'm glad we have a Disney park. lol ;) But I'm also able to avoid it during the summer. Being hot and humid is one thing, but being hot, humid and surrounded by crowds of people makes me want to rip my hair out. :crazy2:

LOL

I'll disagree with that.

I know the classics are a little rough around the edges, but I would be more for an update/refurbish than a complete removal. My kids loved Country Bear Jamboree and COP this last May (they are 14 and 7). I have enjoyed them since my youth so I am a bit biased. Thanks for the detailed trip review as I always enjoy reading these!

I will take hot and humid and being on vacation any day over being in climate controlled office all day. I also agree with other posters -- leave COP. We love that ride. "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!" -- truly because we will be in Disney tomorrow. :cool1:

I'd rather have a hot hot trip, than a rainy one:umbrella: That being said we are hoping the temps come down a bit in the next three weeks, before our Sept 7th trip...
This will be our third attempt with FP+ we did the limited test three summers ago one day at MK, and then full blown usage last December, and we LOVED it, cannot wait.

Also I agree with this:thumbsup2
And no knocking down of COP. Keep the classics

I'll disagree with that.
Same here. Now, I know this isn't really a serious discussion :) But...

There's no Southern California climate anywhere else in the US. You pretty much pick extreme heat or extreme cold (or both).

WDW had to be on the east coast, because of nearby population centers. So, after you find your cheap land, you're either in a place with hot summers or cold winters.

Air conditioning helps. It seems like people are more willing to go outside for finite periods in extreme heat, rather than cold. This isn't universally true, but just a general observation. I live in Syracuse, NY, where it's pretty unpleasant to go outside for about 4 months. We do it, of course, but I think most people would pick extreme heat (with air conditioned respites) for a theme park experience.

Did it really take over an hour to ride SM with a FP? Wow!! Thank you for such details...that will help me with my expectations when planning on how much time to allow at the parks. Certainly would not have expected that!! With waits like that (especially with a late night opening), I'm going to be sorely disappointed in what we can accomplish, but at least I won't be blindsided by it:scared:

I agree with you on some of the older rides, but I do hope they leave COP...it's a nostalgic walk through our history of advancements and I still enjoy it.

My bad, I meant 9:54 and off 10:02

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter