Here now, crowds and FP+, wow!

We were at EPCOT yesterday, a green day according to easy WDW. Now our last 3 trips we have gone this same week, something is going on! Either there are wayyy more people here or the FP+ is really screwing up the lines! At RP we went right to TT, rode it, came right back out at 9:26 to ride again, the SB line already had a 65 min wait!!! And other rides that have always been walk ons, like living w/land and Nemo had 30 min waits! It's just been crazy! I was one who knew how to use the old FP system, so we always rode the headliners numerous times and rarely stood in a standby line. My kids were spoiled, this is a new experience for them! Also by 4:30 the FP were gone for TT, MS& Soarin. I'm very nervous about the rest of this trip!

This was us exactly 2 weeks ago. Identical post. And a couple of people suggested I was being nostalgic about how short lines used to be or just really didn't know how to tour Disney. I completely understand and completely feel your pain and frustration. Hope the rest of the week gets better. Ours leveled out some around Wednesday.

I simply can't buy that this is because the economy is improving because it is not. We are teetering on the edge about to fall back into a another recession.

If we still use the economic indicators that were used 10 years ago we would already be in a recession again.

Food prices are sky rocketing, gas is coming down a tiny bit but still way up over the past three years, disposable income for American family's is at an all time low.

It has to be something else, either that or people just don't care about saving their money any more and are doing very expensive vacations on credit.
Actually, except for Q1, things are really looking up. (Most sharps think the soft Q1 numbers are weather related.) Consumer spending is up and attendance is up. This is also why admission prices are up.

Disney is taking in a Billion a month from the parks division and is spending it a little more too, like many other companies, rather than sitting on cash.

I agree that things aren't as good as they could be for the average consumer but the average consumer is not = to the economy.

That said, my guess is that most folks on this board would say they feel a little more confident in spending a little more than they did a few years ago.

I simply can't buy that this is because the economy is improving because it is not. We are teetering on the edge about to fall back into a another recession.

Depends on where you live. I'm sure some areas of the country are slow but out here the economy is booming. Many places are hiring and they are building like crazy. Tower cranes are everywhere. People must have money burning holes in their pockets with the prices they are paying for houses.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/839-NE-66th-St-Seattle-WA-98115/49140825_zpid/

I wish things would slow down a bit because they are unsustainable at the rate they are going.

af3237e05db8012ee3bf00163e41dd5b.gif

I was in MK 3 different days last week - the crowds were very low, and most rides were walk-on. Peter Pan was only a 40 minute wait at 3pm, Splash only had a long line for a short while each day - most of the time the wait was less than 25 minutes (and it was HOT).

Maybe I got lucky, but last week was a dream in MK. (Note - I only did MK, no other parks)

I'm curious as to what the dates of your MK visits were? Also, were you traveling solo? I imagine that would make even navigating the worse crowds easier than traveling as a family of 5 ;)

We were there the first week of May and thought the MK crowds specifically were much higher than expected. It was our first visit with FP+ so we weren't sure how much that was to blame for the crowds and the wait times.

Thanks for the insight!
-Kelly

I was there also. Way too many people and even saw some stumbling drunks. I learned my lesson, not to go to Epcot on weekend night.

I'm not a regular at all, but it felt very crowded to me in MK yesterday.

We didn't hit rope drop but got there right after and big lines to get through the gate. As we headed to the back of the park, lines opened up and we hit about 6 rides before noon, including 2 FPs (both mountains). Crowds picked up around 11-12.

Only picked up 1 extra FP for our evening return for Thunder Mt RR.

I need to learn where the kiosks are so we can be more efficient in our FP use.

(Heard some idiot who knew nothing about FP+ [he had FP due to disabilities] giving someone completely wrong info about FP. If you don't know, just say so. Don't send some poor lady to the front of the park to "buy" FPs. He thought they were free if you were on site but everyone else had to buy them. )

Wanted to pop in and say we had an excellent day at Hollywood Studios yesterday. We always go for SWW and it's a zoo. We found it dead yesterday! The only long wait was the Toy Story ride; minimum of 60 minutes all day. Rode R&R coaster with FP+ and turned around and rode it again with a 10 minute wait! Didn't even wait for our FP with Star Tours because there was only a few minute wait. Got pictures with multiple Star Wars characters within 15 minutes. Never seen SWW so dead. Another bonus was that they were waving everyone through the gate so we didn't have to pay for parking! We've never had that happen in 20 years of going to the parks.

Off to MK in a few minutes. Hoping for another day like yesterday, but betting that won't be the case.

For Jaylin and others reporting trouble with getting to your rides, what FP+ strategy are you using? Are you using your pre-booked FPs morning or waiting til afternoon?

We have been coming for years but we are now stretching more and more years between visits because the crowds are just no fun for us anymore --- but we haven't given up completely. I do wonder if the new FP system is increasing the standby wait becuase guests are confused on how to use the system or think they cant use it at all.

Ok, well let's see, Fri was MK, it was raining most of the day Thur so I'm thinking that affected the crowds Fri. Our touring plans have always been rope drop, a specific order of rides in the morn with no waits, 11ish lunch then FP in afternoon. With FP+ my order of rides has changed, but at 9:55am Goofy Barnstormer had a 25 min wait, that has always been a walk on at that hour. Same with Pooh, (old days we FP that) thought I could walk on at 10, nope.

I really don't know what the deal was with Epcot on Sat?

Yesterday was AK and that was fantastic! Much closer to what we normally experience. We were running a few min late, at got there around 9:05, we were at EE by 9:10, rode it 3xs, with the last ride at a 15min wait. Then pretty much walk ons to Tri Spin, Primeval Whirl & Dino. Had a FP for Safari after lunch, the line was huge but moved very quickly. Then FP for Kali, at 1:30 there was a 50min SB wait, then back to EE with FP, and there was still only a 35min SB wait. It definitely felt like there were more people in the park, but the lines were great!

Today is a easy day with late arrival to EP and dinner at Garden Grill. So I've got my 3 FP set for later. And tomorrow & Wed is MK again!

The weather is still amazing! But going to be high 90s at the end of the week!

....I don't remember seeing many people leaving DHS that were there for SWW....

Must have been really boring watching the exit gate all day ;)

Seriously though, I would guess hopping wouldn't play a huge role in other park volumes. Also people are reporting lots of people even in early mornings. But, I would bet that the draw for SWW boosts overall park attendance and the other parks probably get splash-over due to people spending maybe an extra day or two outside of SWW to tour the others. Also not all families are going to be into the SW stuff and I bet the suggestions are to avoid HS like the plague if you're not going for it. So the actual event pumps up numbers at HS and visitors shifting away from HS to avoid the event increases those numbers.

All speculation of course but I think it makes sense.

Seriously though, I would guess hopping wouldn't play a huge role in other park volumes.

I think that people mistook the statement that "SWW doesn't increase park attendance at the other parks" to mean that people who go to WDW because of the SW events don't go to the other parks. But that is not what was intended, and it simply isn't true. But the increased crowds that one sees at DHS at 10:00 because the SW fans are there for a particular event become invisible when that crowd dissipates to other areas of WDW. Sure, if all the SW folks agreed to "flash mob" Space Mountain at an appointed time and date, you would see an impact. But while the mass of people may seem imposing when they are all in DHS at the same time, that mass of people gets diluted pretty easily when they all go off to do other things at other places on other days.

I was there also. Way too many people and even saw some stumbling drunks. I learned my lesson, not to go to Epcot on weekend night.
Bam, you hit the nail on the head. We avoid Epcot on the weekends ever since we almost got in a fight with some drunk locals.

We were there Saturday. I planned my 3 FP+ as early as I could. After we rode MS at 1115, we went to add a fourth. We were able to get Maelstrom at 115, no TT was available. After Maelstrom the only FP available was for Captain EO or Figment at 4. So no 5th FP for us.

We were there Saturday. I planned my 3 FP+ as early as I could. After we rode MS at 1115, we went to add a fourth. We were able to get Maelstrom at 115, no TT was available. After Maelstrom the only FP available was for Captain EO or Figment at 4. So no 5th FP for us.

:lmao::lmao:

And some people here try to say Epcot is not lacking in major attractions.

BuckeyeBama said:
I was in MK 3 different days last week - the crowds were very low, and most rides were walk-on. Peter Pan was only a 40 minute wait at 3pm, Splash only had a long line for a short while each day - most of the time the wait was less than 25 minutes (and it was HOT).

Maybe I got lucky, but last week was a dream in MK. (Note - I only did MK, no other parks)

Thanks for your report. I have been watching the wait times via MDE app throughout the day and noticed some smaller ones even in the afternoon. I saw there were some days that PP only had a 30 min wait and was a little shocked. I think there was one afternoon TSMM had a 45 min wait. Not sure I've ever seen it under 60. Granted I'm not there to see it in person but do appreciate your report as it syncs up with what the app said. I'm only watching b/c the crowds now are what is scheduled for my trip end of Oct so trying to get an idea of what we'll be able to do.

BuckeyeBama said:

Thanks for your report. I have been watching the wait times via MDE app throughout the day and noticed some smaller ones even in the afternoon. I saw there were some days that PP only had a 30 min wait and was a little shocked. I think there was one afternoon TSMM had a 45 min wait. Not sure I've ever seen it under 60. Granted I'm not there to see it in person but do appreciate your report as it syncs up with what the app said. I'm only watching b/c the crowds now are what is scheduled for my trip end of Oct so trying to get an idea of what we'll be able to do.

I was amazed at how short the lines were after my trip only 3 weeks before. It didn't feel like a Sept trip because the parks felt crowded, but the ride lines were very short. I walked straight onto rides like PoTC (using SB line), just as I am used to doing. I was really tired one night and didn't want to leave because the lines were so short.

And I love the addition of the Frozen song to the Celebrate the Magic show! :goodvibes

It sounds like Disney's 20-30% off room promotion from earlier this year was successful. I was there a few weeks ago on this promo and it did seen more crowded than normal.

:lmao::lmao:

And some people here try to say Epcot is not lacking in major attractions.

Actually I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of "crowds at Epcot". There certainly wasn't last year when we went there in the middle of July on three separate occasions. We had three ADR's on three different nights we ran to all of them because we were always running late(relying on WDW transportation) to find a half-empty park and even more empty restaurants at the "dinner hour"! By the third ADR we laughed to ourselves that we didn't even need ADR's and could have just gone at the time that was most convenient for us.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter