Here now at GF - beach closed & new construction. FINAL UPDATE: Panoramic view of fence and rocks

This is great news, I hope Disney takes it even further with regularly scheduled alligator sweeps in all the lakes. They caught 6 alligators in just a few hours after the incident, they need to do this weekly.

News just broke that local firefighters covering the Disney resorts were feeding alligators for fun just a half a mile away in the waterways that feed the Lagoon. Disney employees complained several times, they were fearful getting into their cars at night due to encounters with gators that no longer feared humans. Front-page story in the NY Daily News this morning:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...p-feeding-alligators-attack-article-1.2711129
How is this article relevant. It is about an emergency dispatch and fire department that serves Disney, they are not Disney employees, nor does the article state anywhere that Disney was involved in the emails that went back and forth in this fire department. The article is the worst kind of journalism as it is trying make a causal relationship between the feeding of gators and the attack in the lagoon. (Though if you read the entire article you would have read-"The pond next to the fire station and the lagoon are close to each other but not connected by any waterway. It’s unlikely that the gator from the pond traveled to the lagoon since there are several roads separating the two, officials said".) There is hardly a correlation between the two and certainly the feeding of the gator (those unwise and illegal) was not the cause of the incident in seven seas.

Also, it doesn't look like a rock wall per se but but more like a yard wide barrier made of big rocks-just big enough and wide enough that they'd be uncomfortable to walk over to get to the water.

View attachment 181461 Looks like they are starting to replace the rope fences with something else. Anyone know what is going on?

Update: Looks like they are bringing in more sand and then laying down pretty rocks on the shoreline!

Update 7/14: Video of them adding sand to the shoreline:

Update 7/15: The fence is going back up. Looks like the final plan is to have the fence spanning the length of the beach flanked by rocks:

image.jpeg

Tigger1972 - I just want to say thank you on behalf of those of us with upcoming visits planned to the Grand and are lovers of Disney. Your live reporting is so much appreciated. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation!

Please ignore the less than well mannered poster(s) trying to push their agenda.

Tiger1972 wanted to add my thanks for posting the video & pics. Hopefully it will be done by August and beaches will be back in use.
I thought maybe rocks would have been sufficient a barrier but rope fence doesn't look so bad.

Thanks for posting and continuing to post. We were there last week and the rope fence just blended into the background for me. Hoping this will too.

Tigger1972 - I just want to say thank you on behalf of those of us with upcoming visits planned to the Grand and are lovers of Disney. Your live reporting is so much appreciated. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation!

Please ignore the less than well mannered poster(s) trying to push their agenda.

I agree thank you so much Tigger1972 for the pictures and live updates, very very helpful! I hope your having an amazing trip!

How is this article relevant. It is about an emergency dispatch and fire department that serves Disney, they are not Disney employees, nor does the article state anywhere that Disney was involved in the emails that went back and forth in this fire department. The article is the worst kind of journalism as it is trying make a causal relationship between the feeding of gators and the attack in the lagoon. (Though if you read the entire article you would have read-"The pond next to the fire station and the lagoon are close to each other but not connected by any waterway. It’s unlikely that the gator from the pond traveled to the lagoon since there are several roads separating the two, officials said".) There is hardly a correlation between the two and certainly the feeding of the gator (those unwise and illegal) was not the cause of the incident in seven seas.

Also, it doesn't look like a rock wall per se but but more like a yard wide barrier made of big rocks-just big enough and wide enough that they'd be uncomfortable to walk over to get to the water.
It's very relevant! I have lived in Florida for over 30 years and I can tell you that gators will travel a good distance to get food or during a drought, a water source i.e. pools etc. And I can tell you that from that pond there is ONE small road (Floridian way) to cross and there is actually a dirt road right by the pond that leads straight to an inlet of the lagoon, it's where they park the water parade floats. So it would be very easy to get to the lagoon from there. Let's see, a pond with hardly any fish etc. to eat for a gator or a big lagoon that has a lot more food sources. So who ever that "official" was that said this was just trying to cover some butt. Also; feeding the gators makes them a lot more unafraid of humans.

While I have stayed out of all conversations about this, I do think the rocks on the shoreline are a nice addition. That and the fences make it quite clear that this is not a beach to swim at while remaining quite attractive.

Thanks for posting!

Pretty sensationalist don't you think?
The alligator did not attack because it knew he was a small child. It attacked because it thought it heard "food" in its habitat.
Alligators do not seek out humans to prey upon, unless of course you're watching a SyFy Original Movie.
Disney is not the Movie Lake placid people they are not stalking us for food

View attachment 181461 Looks like they are starting to replace the rope fences with something else. Anyone know what is going on?

Update: Looks like they are bringing in more sand and then laying down pretty rocks on the shoreline!

Update 7/14: Video of them adding sand to the shoreline:

Update 7/15: The fence is going back up. Looks like the final plan is to have the fence spanning the length of the beach flanked by rocks:

image.jpeg

Final Update 7/16: Here's a final panoramic shot we took on the last day of our stay. Note the alligator/snake warning sign every 4th or 5th post. Personally I think it looks wonderful, serves a greater purpose and it does not distract you from the gorgeous view!

image_1.jpeg
:worship: Thank you for all the updates! Safe travels home!

OP, Thanks for the great updates and have a safe trip home.

I wonder if they are planning on leaving the floating barrier up that is in the water just off shore?

Thank you so much for the updates. We appreciate you taking time out of your vacation to post and take pics for us. :-) Time to start planning your next trip.
:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter