Here Now 9-14 Quick follow up about security.

cobright

DIS Veteran
I don't think we need to dig back into the broader, philosophical, elements of the topic but after a dozen or so trips through security in the last 5 days, I have learned a few new things, had a couple things I thought I knew confirmed, and a few things I thought I knew challenged. Since the subject has come up a few times and seems to be on peoples' minds, thought I might share.

I have a tendency to ramble on, so I'll just throw up a few things as a list and if you don't see anything interesting by #3 or so just go ahead and skip it.
  1. Security will thoroughly search a photographer / safari / cargo vest every time.
  2. Depending on traffic levels it seems like 50-75% of those "randomly selected" for additional screening were actually random.
  3. By exhibiting 2+ 'behavior detection' criteria one can ensure a trip through the metal detectors. (Based on published works of Dr. Paul Ekman, not the TSA screener checklist)
  4. Metal detectors are far more sensitive than TSA uses at airport. The metal clips on my suspenders set them off every time. Talking 15 grams of metal total spread across four clips. Never a blip at airport.
  5. You are being watched from afar during bag check. While my bag was being searched, but before my vest, a gaurd closed on me from about 20 yards to let the checker know to treat my vest like a bag. Two more guards showed up and the first one moved right in to get a closers look at my vest, indicating to my pen pocket, he asked if I was carrying a spent shell casing. I was carrying a metallic sharpie pen for autographs. Maybe 1.5" of it visible peeking out from my pocket flap. Somebody other than the guy searching my bag caught a glint of metal and made a decision to move a couple or three more people into the mix. That said...
  6. Even at the busiest, security was fast, thorough, professional and polite.
  7. There was a ton of free walking security all around the park entrance.
That ought to do for now.

I really like the add security with what has been happing around the world lately I like the fact that disney dose it good job and quickly too.

I do not wear them but are they checking cargo pants too I mean you really can get a lot in some of them.

I really like the add security with what has been happing around the world lately I like the fact that disney dose it good job and quickly too.

I do not wear them but are they checking cargo pants too I mean you really can get a lot in some of them.

my husband always wears cargo shorts and he never gets stopped. He also does not carry anything in those pockets so maybe if they looked to be full of something, they'd be checked? not sure.

I was just there and learned quickly - take off your pin lanyard before you go through the metal detector! Everyone had to go through it at the International Gateway to Epcot entrance but I don't know if that's the norm during busier seasons. Bag check was very thorough - helps if you unzip every zipper on your bag, even if you have a small makeup or other bag inside, unzip that too - it really helps get through more quickly. As stated, security was very polite and friendly which helps when you are anxious to get into the park.

I question the randomness. We have been here since Saturday and my husband has been picked 100% of the time. If he goes through bag check with me I get selected too which means one person waits with the stroller then we switch. If he goes though no bags and I go alone I do not get selected. It takes almost no time for the extra screening. We joke about it and take it in stride. They are doing their best

I was never asked to turn out my pockets, nor seen it happen to another, but I imagine having bulky pants, especially in 90 degree heat, would get you bumped towards additional screening.

I'm curious about the behavior detection criteria. My sister and I have been "randomly chosen" every time we've gone through (been here since last Thursday and have park hoppers). I'm grateful for the extra security but wonder what it is we are doing that gets us chosen. I will say my family definitely has a face that looks mad if we're not talking or smiling. And, since it happens every time, I've started watching the security to see if I can pick out which one is going to come collect me. I'm sure that doesn't look suspicious at all, lol.

We were in parks for 11 days in August with hoppers... I believe we did 20 park entrances- I was chosen or metal detector all but ONE time. Whoever was walking with closer to me (13 year old daughter or husband) would also be chosen. I started switching between them to test it. It was funny until it got annoying when we were barely on time for meals or whatever.

my husband always wears cargo shorts and he never gets stopped. He also does not carry anything in those pockets so maybe if they looked to be full of something, they'd be checked? not sure.
DH wears cargo shorts and they are always full (ask him, he'll tell you he's the family pack mule, we all go bagless so he does carry a lot) and they've never asked him to empty them. He's not always picked for metal detectors either, so they are often never emptied.
I wear skirts with pockets in shorts underneath and they are always very full. Since they don't see them I'm never asked to empty them. So same, unless I go through the metal detectors they do not see what is in them. It's just my phone, powder compact, lip gloss and ID. Sometimes I fold up an empty Disney shopping bag to use to hold things like we umbrellas if we were to use them during the day.

I was just there and learned quickly - take off your pin lanyard before you go through the metal detector! Everyone had to go through it at the International Gateway to Epcot entrance but I don't know if that's the norm during busier seasons. Bag check was very thorough - helps if you unzip every zipper on your bag, even if you have a small makeup or other bag inside, unzip that too - it really helps get through more quickly. As stated, security was very polite and friendly which helps when you are anxious to get into the park.
Yes, we've never entered there and not gone through the metal detector, no matter how busy it is.

Another thing I've learned to remove when going through one, my smart watch. My bra often sets them off too but that's not coming off ;) And I agree with PP who said they are more sensitive than the airport since that doesn't sit it off there. You'd think they'd be more sensitive at the airports, no?

Last edited:
If the metal detector really were that powerful, people would be taking their belts off every time they went through it. My metal yarmulke clips never set them off, and I'm a big fraidy-cat about wind so I wear two clips up there.

We were sent through every time at MK and so was everyone else last weekend. I kept my sunglasses on and had no issues with the detector going off.

Also bag check is typically more thorough but with everything Disney, very inconsistent. I had some checks that did look in every pocket but only haphazardly. Others were much more detailed in their searches.

We were there between 9/5-9/10 and didn't go through the metal detectors once.

I do however have a problem with the inconsistency of the bag check.

I carry my camera bag into the park, and our first day all I had to do was unzipper the compartments and flip open the main pouch and that was good.

Same day at Epcot I have to take EVERYTHING out of the camera bag. This included my lens in separate pouches, that I had to remove from their little bags and place upon a table.

I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable putting 3 camera lens with a value of $3500 on a table with a ton of people near by that can bump into the table knock them onto the floor.

He asked if you were carrying a spent shell casing? How specific and bizarre. If I read your post correctly, he was actually looking at part of a pen. But if I'm debating whether someone is carrying a pen or a spent shell casing and I feel compelled to ask, I'm going to assume the former, even if the guy A. is wearing suspenders and B. knows how many grams of metal are in said suspenders. :-)

We were there between 9/5-9/10 and didn't go through the metal detectors once.

I do however have a problem with the inconsistency of the bag check.

I carry my camera bag into the park, and our first day all I had to do was unzipper the compartments and flip open the main pouch and that was good.

Same day at Epcot I have to take EVERYTHING out of the camera bag. This included my lens in separate pouches, that I had to remove from their little bags and place upon a table.

I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable putting 3 camera lens with a value of $3500 on a table with a ton of people near by that can bump into the table knock them onto the floor.
The training is all over the place, there is no doubt about that.
May be as simple as you getting a guard with a Type A personality and a guard with Type B personality.
Those Type As are going to be very tight with the rules where the Type B are not.

We were there at the end of August. The metal detector screening was very random for me (and thankfully on the day I was running late for a fast pass they didn't stop me...). The bag check was very thorough every time. I have a mesh backpack where you can mostly see through it and I still had to remove a lot of things for them to poke inside. That being said, although it is a pain, I appreciate that they are looking out for our safety.

I'm thinking maybe a few of things you list are more a reflection of your personal experience entering the parks, than universal facts/experiences for all guests entering the parks.

On our recent trip, we were screened some of the times we entered, but not every time, and not both of us, even though we were pretty consistent in what we brought/carried into the parks.

Personally, I don't mind the guards. It is the dumb guests who annoy me. Again and again the guards ask everyone to open all their zippers and present all their bags, but half the guests don't comply. Grr!

The training is all over the place, there is no doubt about that.
May be as simple as you getting a guard with a Type A personality and a guard with Type B personality.
Those Type As are going to be very tight with the rules where the Type B are not.

Maybe, but I think it also has something to do with the volume of guests entering. It appeared to us that managing the length of the line was also somewhat of a factor.

They tended to be a bit more thorough at slower times of the day.

I wouldn't be comfortable bringing $3500 worth of lenses to an amusement park.

Unless maybe someone was paying me and it was insured.

I don't know why not?

Unless you are someone who is completely clumsy there's no reason to fear.

The bags they make now can withstand a pretty decent drop and are very cushy. It always stays strapped across my back, and has anti-theft locking device built in so it's not like someone can open it while it's around my back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter