Here it is - the OFFICIAL 2014 READING GOAL CHALLENGE THREAD

I'm in!! Surpassed my goal for '13 but think I will still stick with 72 as my goal for 2014.
#1 Six Years by Harlan Coben
#2 The Innocent by Harlan Coben
#3 Unseen by Karin Slaughter
#4 The Husband's Secret
#5 Parasite
#6 Killing Jesus
#7 The Cradle In The Grave
#8 Innocence by Dean Koontz
#9 If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
#10 Ghost Writer by Rene Gutteridge
#11 Being Esther by Miriam Karmel
#12 A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
#13 The Thicket by Joe Lansdale
#14 Please Don't Tell by Elizabeth Adler
#15 The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
#16 The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice
#17 Red 1-2-3 by John Katzenbach
#18 Waiting For Morning by Karen Kingsbury
#19 A Moment Of Weakness by Karen Kingsbury
#20 Halfway To Forever by Karen Kingsbury
#21 The End of Everything by Megan Abbott
#22 Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson
#23 Lying With Strangers by Jonnie Jacobs
#24 Fear Nothing by Lisa Gardner
#25 Hidden Wives by Clair Avery
#26 Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly
#27 Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog
#28 Blue Heaven by C J Box
#29 Three Weeks To Say Goodbye by C J Box
#30 Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay
#31 Little Face by Sophie Hannah
#32 The Sisters by Nancy Jensen
#33 Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty
#34 Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo
#35 How To Be A Good Wife by Emma Chapman
#36 Gated by Amy Christine Parker
#37 The Quiet Game by Greg Iles
#38 Pray For Silence by Linda Castillo
#39 Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo
#40 Never Let You Go by Erin Healy
#41 The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
#42 The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan
#43 Gone Missing by Linda Castillo
#44 Alex by Pierre Lemaitre
#45 HeartSick by Chelsea Cain
#46 The Duck Commander Family by Willie & Korie Robertson
#47 The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols Alonzo
#48 The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan
#49 The Scoop by Fern Michaels
#50 Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo
#51 While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell
#52 A Perfect Evil by Alex Kava
#53 Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers
#54 Survival Games by Charles Gaines
#55 Split Second by Alex Kava
#56 Mother Road by Dorothy Garlock
#57 The Soul Catcher by Alex Kava
#58 At The Stroke Of Madness by Alex Kava
#59 One False Move by Alex Kava
#60 One Second After by William Forstchen
#61 The Three by Sarah Lotz
#62 A Necessary Evil by Alex Kava
#63 The Boy In The Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol & Agnete Friis
#64 Bad Move by Linwood Barclay
#65 The Wrong Man by John Katzenbach
#66 The Hidden Hand by E.D.E.N. Southworth
#67 The Lightlings by R.C. Sproul
#68 Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
#69 Whitewash by Alex Kava
#70 101 Annoying Things About Other Drivers by Ray Comfort
#71 True Believer by Virginia Euwer Wolff
#72 Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati
#73 Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
#74 Runner by Patrick Lee
#75 This Full House by Virginia Euwer Wolff
#76 Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
#77 Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes
#78 The River by Beverly Lewis
#79 Exposed by Alex Kava
#80 Black Friday by Alex Kava
#81 Revival by Stephen King
#82 Damaged by Alex Kava
#83 Hotwire by Alex Kava
#84 The Dead Will Tell by Linda Castillo
#85 Fireproof by Alex Kava
#86 Stranded by Alex Kava

I know I'm going to hit my goal of 52 this year but this was an unusual year. I was finishing school and had time off for a few months in between then and starting a new job. This was a good goal to share with my kids and they know I love to read! My next year goal will be 30 and I may encourage my own kids to set some reading goals.

I'm a little nervous about meeting it but want to push myself to try to read more again next year.

I am looking forward to the Book Thief, The Fault in Our Stars, and some others I have saved on my wish list from recommendations here.

Thanks for getting this started!! With all the fun and excitement of the holidays, I do like looking forward to the fresh start and goals of a new year. :goodvibes

I didn't make my goal so I am lowering it for 2014 to 30.

I'm looking forward to reading new books from Amy Tan and Malcolm Gladwell. I'm also interested in trying two authors I've heard about for years but never picked up: Robert Jordan and Philippa Gregory.

I didn't have the best luck choosing books this year, but the recommendations I got from the thread were good ones so I'm looking forward to learning about some more great books.

I'd like to join for 2014 with a goal of 50.

I'm looking forward to reading The Passage trilogy. I've had the first two for a while but have been sitting on them because I want to read them all sequentially - I think the third one is due to be published this spring. I'm also looking forward to reading 'The Glass of Time' by Michael Cox, although I might actually start that one over the holidays, so it won't count for 2014. Happy reading everyone!

I'm on track to finish 30 books this year. I'm sure I could do that and more again in 2014 but I don't like having to choose a book with this reading goal in mind. Once or twice I fell behind and moved up one of the shorter books on my list to get back on track. So, I'm going to go with 1 book every 2 weeks for this year (52 weeks / 2 = 26 books).

A few books that I'm looking forward to reading in 2014:
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
On the Road by Jack Kerouac

At last year's rate my "to-read" list on Goodreads will take me more than 4 years. That's only if I stop adding books to it. :rotfl:

Boy some of you are incredible! :rotfl2: :thumbsup2

I think I'll put my goal in very small print :goodvibes - it's 20.

Thank you! I'm grateful to have an excellent library system, I just have to learn how to time my requests a lot better. I seem to have all my holds coming at once.

I'm on track to finish 30 books this year. I'm sure I could do that and more again in 2014 but I don't like having to choose a book with this reading goal in mind. Once or twice I fell behind and moved up one of the shorter books on my list to get back on track. So, I'm going to go with 1 book every 2 weeks for this year (52 weeks / 2 = 26 books). A few books that I'm looking forward to reading in 2014: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman On the Road by Jack Kerouac At last year's rate my "to-read" list on Goodreads will take me more than 4 years. That's only if I stop adding books to it. :rotfl:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is in my Kindle folder for next year as well! From the post about what you've read this year, I'll be following you this year for recommendations. :)

Is that creepy?

I think I want to try reading 50 books for 2014. I can't wait to read Hollow City and I was thinking about reading the Mortal Instruments series.

Updated to this point.

Please check original post for accuracy and let me know if I've missed anyone so far!

From the post about what you've read this year, I'll be following you this year for recommendations. :)

And I need to stalk YOU! Based on your 2013 reading list, we seem to read the same books.

Wow, you're already prepared! You've wiped your 2013 list and have your signature all ready for 2014!! :)

My major book goal is to read the Bible from beginning to end, even all the "begats"! If I manage that, I'll have considered my goal met, regardless of how many other books I read.

Queen Colleen

Wow, kudos to you!! I would like to read through the Bible as well, but don't think I could manage in one year.

I'm grateful to have an excellent library system, I just have to learn how to time my requests a lot better. I seem to have all my holds coming at once.

That is my major problem also!! Always always always end up with all 4-5 books coming at once, LOL.

I'll play this year...I secretly joined last year but didn't post a goal because I was afraid of not meeting it :rotfl2: I followed this thread all year and got so many good recommendations...Thank you all!!!

My 2013 read list:
Quiet
11-22-1963
Gone Girl
Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Darkness
Under the Dome
I know this much is true
The Light Between Oceans
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
A Tree grows in Brooklyn
Safe Haven
The DaVinci Code (reread)
Defending Jacob
The Secret Piano

My 2014 goal is 20 books!
Currently reading Sycamore Road by John Grisham

I would love to join in! I have not read as much this year as I normally do, and perhaps setting a goal will keep me on track. I tend to read books from the same authors and the same genres so I will also set a goal to branch out more this year. I think I will start small and set my goal at 30.

This is not in order. I read it off of my Goodreads page.

Help for the Haunted by John Searles
Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie
Death at SeaWorld by David Kirby
Zoo by James Patterson
Life as We Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Ladies Night by Mary Kay Andrews
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Spring Fever by Mary Kay Andrews
The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (re-read)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (re-read)
Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (re-read)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Inferno by Dan Brown
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Sleeping with Paris by Juliette Sobanet
Whisky Beach by Nora Roberts
Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris (re-read)
Tell Me Lies by Jennifer Crusie
Whole Lotta Trouble by Stephanie Bond

I'm hoping someone in here can help me with some recommendations. I've been reading a lot of YA books (Divergent, Hunger Games, stuff like that) recently. Not to sound like a dirty bird, but does anyone know of any books that are similar, but are geared more towards adults? I'm not looking for a dystopian Fifty Shades, but hopefully you get what I mean ;)

I'm hoping someone in here can help me with some recommendations. I've been reading a lot of YA books (Divergent, Hunger Games, stuff like that) recently. Not to sound like a dirty bird, but does anyone know of any books that are similar, but are geared more towards adults? I'm not looking for a dystopian Fifty Shades, but hopefully you get what I mean ;)

Dystopian Fifty Shades :rotfl2:I can only imagine what that would be like!

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls: A Novel was recommended to me. It's that coming of age story but more geared to adults than a YA audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter