• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here is the drydock upgrades coming to the Magic

Never mind allthat did you manage to find out who takes over as cruise director after the refit?
Andrew i still can not believe you have been and are back again if you know hwat i mean, thanks again for all the updates and reports, it made a pretty naff week at work almost enjoyable.I hope you and family had a great time:cool2:

Never mind allthat did you manage to find out who takes over as cruise director after the refit?
Andrew i still can not believe you have been and are back again if you know hwat i mean, thanks again for all the updates and reports, it made a pretty naff week at work almost enjoyable.I hope you and family had a great time:cool2:

We had a great time, I didnt ask about who will be the CD on either sorry, and it changes often, I know Pikey is tansfering to the Wonder in October, but thats about it.

Brent is on holiday Rachel is around but not on duty currently. So I assume its Christian on the Magic.

It is leaving now!!!!!! Check out the port canaveral webcam quick.

It is leaving now!!!!!! Check out the port canaveral webcam quick.
:thumbsup2

portcanaveralcam_640x480.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Does anyone have a picture of the Wonder's adult pool area? We've never sailed on the Wonder, but the kids are really wanting to next time. We'll be waiting for those 2010 dates to be announced and hopefully the Wonder will have at least one cruise of 6 nights or more.

Right where the new spash area is was my hang out spot. Right there were I could relax and be by my DD in the mickey pool. Spots were already a premium. It will be harder now.

Still though, glad they are putting in the toddler area.

I didn't see her until after she passed Grills. Could you see CMs enjoying the departure on Deck 10?

Sorry but in the past 6 + years of being on the board I have read about alot of stuff happening ... hurricanes extending and shortening cruises, drydock changes not being completed until a couple weeks after the ship begins cruising again, missing CC, excursions being canceled. Another thing that I have been considering is the first cruises on the new ships. Do we want to gamble on if they will actually happen on the original date released and be prepared to be very flexible on that date or do we want to book a cruise a couple months after they are released to make sure we cruise on the dates we plan? The Magic's first cruise was delayed a few times from what I have read here. Plans for a cruise can't be set in stone like some vacations. You have to be flexible.

I was booked on the Magic's Maiden Voyage. They kept postponing. I ended up pregnant with my daughter. By the time they were ready to sail, I was no longer allowed to. They offered me 50% off any future cruise.

I booked the Walt Disney Suite.

We sailed when our daughter was four months old. The memories are priceless. The WDS - wow.

I have no regrets being among the first to book. :rotfl:

Brent was CD for the 5 day cruise which has just ended so he will probably still be on when she comes out of refit. Hope this helps.

I've got an idea, how about they let my child play in the kids club without a wristband? My first child, who is a teenager now, was perfectly fine using the Oceaneers Club and Lab without them.

The wristbands are used for the child's safety! I don't understand why a parent would want them to be in the club w/o the wristbands. Granted they may not have been utilized in years past, but this is an advance in making things safer for the children who are in the clubs & out of the direct care of their parents.

Heaven forbid something happened while they were there that necessitated them all going to muster stations or they became separated from the group while moving from place to place. In a stressful situation, are the CMs going to remember each & every child's name in their care, especially if they've only known them a short while? I know the CMs in the clubs are great, but I really don't think they would. Depending on their age, the child may not be able to tell you his/her name either, or they might clam up completely. In a case like that, the wristband may be the only way of identifying the child & where he/she should be.

I agree w/a pp - if the wristbands are that big of an issue for a child &/or parent, perhaps the clubs aren't a good alternative for them. Instead have lots of family fun together time.

Just a note on the whole wristband issue... We just got off the EB Panama Canal - when my DS3 would not wear a wristband, they quietly put a sticker on his back which he didn't even notice. No problem. Why fuss when there is an easy solution? I'm sure they will continue to be flexible with the new system as well. The staff certainly went out of their way to make our family comfortable and happy with the children's programming.

Back to the drydock... I learned that they will be removing "bubble boy" from the Oceaneer's Lab and updating/adding to the computers in what they call the "rib cage" (around bubble boy behind the check-in area).

Christian left the ship on 9/1 when we came home from the repo. Brent is now the CD on the Magic. :)

I didn't see her until after she passed Grills. Could you see CMs enjoying the departure on Deck 10?

LOL! There were CMs enjoying the PC. :) We were taking pictures of them and they were taking pics of us.

100_8413.jpg

100_8414.jpg

100_8425.jpg

There were a lot of CMs out taking pictures on decks 4 & 10. Whenever I saw one snapping a picture I would ask if they would like me to take one of them. It was great to see them being able to enjoy the experience too. :)

My best guess: add removeable cover(s) for pool(s) for use in Alaska!

You can not really hide the cover. Good thinking. Honestly even if, and I do mean if, you were right I still would not say you were right.

LOL! There were CMs enjoying the PC. :) We were taking pictures of them and they were taking pics of us.

There were a lot of CMs out taking pictures on decks 4 & 10. Whenever I saw one snapping a picture I would ask if they would like me to take one of them. It was great to see them being able to enjoy the experience too. :)

That is very cool! They're getting a few months of well deserved out-of-the-ordinary, special times this summer.

yum yum. I'd want to take his picture too! :lovestruc

:rotfl2:

100_8414.jpg

Thanks for posting this! Just got off the Magic today (oh, it's late-yesterday) and that's Lee Anna our asst server waving to you in this picture. She was wonderful-my kids LOVED her!

I know for sure that the carpet was replaced today. A CM told DH that the company doing the carpet is from Ft. Lauderdale. They were planning to have their work finished by 3 so that the Magic could leave by 4 and outrun Ike if it was headed to VA. During the 5 day, there were several workers who closed various sections of stairs forward (not sure about midship or aft) and carpeted them. As we were leaving our room the bannisters on 8 forward were being covered in bubble wrap. I'm guessing they have plans to move bulky items up and down the stairs.

Deck 4 had particle board taped to the floor to cover the wood deck and all of the nice deck chairs had been cleared away as of Friday evening.

Deck 5 midship had large rolls of carpet in the hallways during the last breakfast seating. Popped up to 5 aft during breakfast for a bathroom without a huge crowd or long line. Nobody was around and we just ducked into the bathroom right near the elevator. When we left, the aft stairs were blocked and lots of staff had appeared. They told to use the midship elevators but DD is disabled and I explained that it would be too hard for her to fight the crowds at midship on 3 so they let us use the aft for the back entrance to get back to Lumiere's. The crowds were beyond unreasonable. There was a BIG problem with disembarking today.:mad:

We ended up in an elevator that was going up. Up to 10 and Palo and workers who were very surprised to see us! All of the interior windows of Palo were covered with flattened cardboard boxes and there were dozens-literally dozens of flattened boxes all over the floor just outside the elevator. It had to be at least 100 or so! It really didn't look like the boxes were window protection-more like window cover. Maybe it could have been for protection but what could they be moving to deck 10 that would HAVE to go up the aft elevators and why cover ALL of the windows? With the angle of Palo, only the windows near the door would have the potential to be damaged. Items that could damage the other windows would be too large to fit through the door or in the elevator. Were upgrades to Palo mentioned as plans for dry dock?

Great thread! I'm very excited to see what's going on new on the Magic.

A couple of things -- the way I read the original post it sounded like the LCDs were only going in some staterooms but then listening to everyone afterwards it sounded like everyone's expecting the tvs to be in their stateroom. Are they going in all of them?

Also, ruadisneyfan2, I had to laugh at your statement:

"yum yum. I'd want to take his picture too!
Too bad I'm probaby old enough to be his mom. "

That just means you have a lot of "useful information and skills" to teach him, right? LOL

As for the wristbands, I understand they can be very problematic for a lot of kids. But I hope they find another solution that works just as well. For the past 5 years I've run a camp for 9-10 year olds and I'll tell you trying to keep the kids straight can be very difficult. I'm fortunate that my kids don't have any sensory issues so I can't speak to that but barring that I'd just make my kids wear them becuase my peace of mind is worth their bit of discomfort. Fortunately, my two will both be old enough for the Stack on our next cruise so we shouldn't have that issue. Of course, that means we have the issue of not being able to figure out where our kids are and what they're doing -- I'm still just a bit of a wrorrywart mom ;-)

Great thread! I'm very excited to see what's going on new on the Magic.

A couple of things -- the way I read the original post it sounded like the LCDs were only going in some staterooms but then listening to everyone afterwards it sounded like everyone's expecting the tvs to be in their stateroom. Are they going in all of them?

Also, ruadisneyfan2, I had to laugh at your statement:

"yum yum. I'd want to take his picture too!
Too bad I'm probaby old enough to be his mom. "

That just means you have a lot of "useful information and skills" to teach him, right? LOL

As for the wristbands, I understand they can be very problematic for a lot of kids. But I hope they find another solution that works just as well. For the past 5 years I've run a camp for 9-10 year olds and I'll tell you trying to keep the kids straight can be very difficult. I'm fortunate that my kids don't have any sensory issues so I can't speak to that but barring that I'd just make my kids wear them becuase my peace of mind is worth their bit of discomfort. Fortunately, my two will both be old enough for the Stack on our next cruise so we shouldn't have that issue. Of course, that means we have the issue of not being able to figure out where our kids are and what they're doing -- I'm still just a bit of a wrorrywart mom ;-)

Re TV's I think its all rooms the DCL press release says:-

The guest staterooms onboard the Disney Magic are receiving an infusion of technology with the installation of flat-screen LCD television sets. The new 22-inch units will be mounted on a swivel arm to allow easy viewing from multiple locations within the stateroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter