Here comes the GPA question again...

DaDisneyDog

Earning My Ears
Ok guys i'm hoping you can help me out with this because I've never been in this situation.

When I applied and was accepted on March 15th for the CP I had at 3.45 CUMULATIVE GPA at Washington State University. However, during this last semester I had a family member close to me pass away, I tried to ask for incompletes for my classes because I honestly could not do any work, but they were not given and because of that I failed one of my classes and it dropped my SEMESTER GPA to a 1.96. A 1.96 semester GPA is considered academically deficient at washington state university and you basically have to get reinstated and write a letter to the Dean and all this...

However because of the dispute I had with the school over them not granting me incompletes for the class, I am not planning on taking any more classes at this University ever again. Instead, while I'm on the CP I plan on taking online classes through a community college.

My question is..... even though I'm not going to take any classes there, can Washington State University still call Disney and tell them I'm not eligible for the program since my GPA is under a 2.0? Or do you think the school even cares if I go on the program?

I know it depends on the school but here is all I know...
Washington State University doesn't really support the CP, it doesn't give any college credit, however there are some college program recruiters from there that email me occasionally telling me good luck on the program and this and that.

So I'm not sure if I should be worried about this or not...

(sorry this was so long!)

First, im sorry to hear about what youve went through :/

second, when you were accepted, you were already enrolled in school, so it shouldnt effect their decision..unless youre applying for a professional internship, which sometimes requires a specific gpa, then you should be fine! this is sorta unrelated, but when i did my cp a couple years ago, i didnt earn college credit from my school, i basically wasnt enrolled at all and just took a semester off.. i had to apply for readmission when i was done with disney tho

Im pretty sure CP doesn't require a certain GPA. I think their only GPA requirement is that you meet the GPA requirement of your school to participate in an internship. So whatever your school requires, is all they require.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though please.

WSU can still affect you since you got accepted in their school. Did you finish the semester? If not Disney can also tell you that you can no longer participate.

Yes. Schools verify everything on disneyeducationconnection.com now (they have a log in area).

If they say that you can't go, then you can't go. Disney isn't going to jeopardize their relationship with a school by ignoring their wishes.

It would be better for you to get everything squared away and verified before making the money/time commitment to travel. Especially if your school doesn't verify this stuff very fast and they tell disney right before you are supposed to arrive.

The "recruiters" you are saying really aren't recruiters. They sound like former participants who help the real recruiter with promoting the program on campus. They are called campus reps and wouldn't be the people to ask about this. Shoot an email to wdw.college.recruiting@disney.com with the info that you provided here.

Nice to see a fellow WSU student here on the boards! It sounds like you are on the Pullman campus, which I'm not.. I'm at WSU Online. However, I bring good news! WSU has NO requirements for the program! I've checked all that already. As long as you were taking classes when you applied you are good to go!! See you down there!!

by the way... when are you arriving??

Does anyone know about the professional internship gpa requirements? I know it's probably different for the different ones but just to get an idea. I'm just worried I won't be able to get one because my gpa isn't very good and I'm having a hard time raising it :(
Also I remember seeing all the professional internships they have that require doing a CP first but I can't find it if anyone knows about it?

Does anyone know about the professional internship gpa requirements? I know it's probably different for the different ones but just to get an idea. I'm just worried I won't be able to get one because my gpa isn't very good and I'm having a hard time raising it :(
Also I remember seeing all the professional internships they have that require doing a CP first but I can't find it if anyone knows about it?

I'm probably not much help on this but here is what I got off the website..

"Each internship requires that you are at least 18 years of age and are able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

Additional requirements are different for each posting. Some require a minimum GPA, grade level completed and/or previous experience on the Disney College Program.

Please reference each individual posting for specific requirements prior to applying."

I remember reading somewhere that somebody needed a minimum 2.0 for the professional internship they were doing, but again, it might be different for you.

oh really? thanks! maybe I shouldn't worry so much haha. I'll just have to look at the specific ones then.

Voice of experience here, I had a not so stellar GPA the semester before I left for my CP and was able to attend still with no problem (not that the non stellar GPA is a good thing in my case but you get my drift). I had kinda a bad semester (medical problems, family things, etc etc etc) but did my homework and checked with my counselor and recruiting and everything was fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter