here comes IRENE

Aw, don't be :mad:, the only thing the hurricane could mess up are your actual travel plans, but seriously once you get there it could be :goodvibes
DH and I had our honeymoon there in Sept 2002 and I can't remember which storm it was that whipped through that area, but we literally had the park to ourselves!!! Yes, it was raining (HARD) and windy...but...we had the time of our lives. We bought some ponchos and took advantage of the lowered crowds. We were able to ride the ToT 7 times in a row w/out even getting off at one point!! :yay: A vacation is what you make of it - get a poncho and have some fun!!! :banana:

Awwww, turn that frown upside down mister! :lmao: Storms clear out a park nearly completely. Like the PP said, grab some ponchos, wear shorts and waterproof sandals and you get to enjoy the parks, not sweltering and nearly empty. Last Sept. we were in the MK when a huge thunderstorm popped through in the afternoon. The park completely cleared out. We rode everything in Fantasyland walking right on, including Peter Pan. No wait for Pirates, walked on the HM three times in a row. Seriously, after that day now I kind of pray for rain. People were all hiding under awnings and looking at us splashing through puddles in our ponchos like we were nuts, but I'm from Seattle people. It takes more than wind and water to ruin my day.

Not only that, but the weather the day before and day after is usually absolutely perfect! The only bad thing is if it's your arrival or departure date, as the airport could experience delays and cancellations. But if you're already here, Disney will take good care of you. :thumbsup2

I live here and have a 10 day stay booked the beginning of September. Storm or no storm, I'm going to Disney!

We were in WDW for all of Hurricane Faye in 08. Nothing closed and crowds were light!! Yes I did get sick of the rain but it wasn't sooo hot at least. We still had a great time. I have a 10 am flight on Thursday. I am hoping for the best!!

We there in August of 2008 for Tropical Storm Faye and the early 90's during a hurricane(forget which one) and Disney does a great job with such things. For us, parks never closed as the hurricane went through the night - lots of palms all over the place, but Disney cleaned it all up quickly.

During Tropical Storm Faye we were allowed to change flights without a fee, which I did just to be safe, so had 2 extra nights at Disney - raining all day, but put on our Disney ponchos and off we went!

Try not to worry - it will be a great trip!! :goodvibes

We were there also during Faye and it didn't stop us at all. Just make sure you have ponchos and extra shoes.

We are flying in Friday night...:eek:

Hoping Irene comes in early Friday and is done with by then. I'm not worried about the rain once I'm there...just worried about getting there!:goodvibes

Oh boy we are coming from NY and my 3 year old will be absolutely devastated if anything prevents us from getting there... Praying it dies out long before then...

I agree with the PP. Last time I went was in May of 2009. Who knew it could rain for 7 days straight without ceasing?!? But once we got over the disappointment of rain, we grabbed our ponchos, swapped out our tennis shoes for sandals, and hit the parks! They were deserted! Nothing like walking on to Aerosmith and ToT!! The rain stopped just long enough for me to see my favorite, Fantasmic!

We got some really hilarious pics of my sister and I posing in our ponchos! :thumbsup2

As others have stated, the only concern could be the travel days. We go this same week every year, and we have never had an issue. Yes, hurricanes have been in the vacinity ie: Katrina, but they have never been an issue in the Orlando area. When we lived in FL, we used to go Disney whenever there was a hurricane on the coasts. It was a pretty safe area to be in :).
I have had some amazing weather karma over the years, so I am hoping it will continue this week. If not, I will wear my poncho and still have a fantastic time with my family. Hope to see you all there.:goodvibes

You make me feel better we are booked for Sept 2012 . We have always gone in Sept and only had tail end of tropical storms . We loved the rain it was warm and it didn't stop us. I just keep thinking we are pushing our luck going in Sept . That is the only time Dh can get off.

Don't be mad...I agree with the PP.Roll with it and have fun. You can't change the weather and this is normal for this time of year.Besides, it could change track at any time and go out to sea instead...I am already stressing my Jan 2012 trip since we live in PA and tend to get snow storms and ice storms alot in Jan..SO I understand.:goodvibes

Sunshinenj,

Best of luck with all this weather stuff!:wizard::wizard:

For those that travel in the summer, weather patterns can change at the last minute!:yay::yay: Hope so for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance3::dance3:

I was at Animal Kingdom 2 weeks ago in the rain and it worked to our advantage!::woohoo: Very little lines...Cleared up just in time when we left at 2:00 to "soak up some rays"!!! Just love that Vitamin D!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

BEST WISHES FOR A WONDERFUL TRIP! I PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE FOR CANCELLATION OR TRIP INTERUPTION IN CASE OF EVACUATION! HOPE YOU DID THE SAME! GOTTA LOVE "MY TRAVELGUARD" TRIP INSURANCE!

IN MY OPINION, ITS "PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH" TO EVER BOOK A TRIP THESE DAYS WITHOUT TRIP INSURANCE!:goodvibes:goodvibes

I JUST PURCHASED TRIP INSURANCE TO COVER 8 NIGHTS INCLUSIVE OF 3 NIGHTS VWV, 4 NIGHT "DISNEY DREAM"(AND BOY, WHAT A "DREAM") AND 1 NIGHT POST CRUISE BCV!!! I HAD TO PURCHASE SEPARATE "POINTS INSURANCE" AS WELL AS REGULAR TRIP INSURANCE THROUGH TRAVELGUARD WHICH COVERED US WITH AIRLINE, OUT OF POCKET COSTS INCLUDING DINING AND TICKETS, AND CRUISE EXCURSIONS, AND RETURNING AIRLINE, BAGGAGE!!!

HOPE THAT YOU HAVE AN AWESOME TRIP! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!! "KEEP THE FAITH" :cheer2::cheer2::littleangel:

I hope everyone with travel plans gets there safe and sound we are leaving Newark NJ on Sunday just hope the airports get it together by then ... this is my daughters Sweet 16 trip with her friends and she is so EXCITED !! :goodvibes:goodvibes

Looking forward to IRENE heading out to sea and away from Florida !! These are my prayers everyday now !! :littleangel: WE need us some pixi dust :wizard:

Good Luck everyone !! :thumbsup2

thanks for all the encouragement we have trip insurance and have been there during rain storms and the effect of katrina. was really looking to go to the water parks for the first time in 7 visits to the world.

HOPE YOUR DAUGHTER AND FRIENDS HAVE A HAPPY SWEET 16!!!!!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE WEATHER!!!!!!:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

Sunshinenj,

BEST WISHES FOR A WONDERFUL TRIP! I PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE FOR CANCELLATION OR TRIP INTERUPTION IN CASE OF EVACUATION! HOPE YOU DID THE SAME! GOTTA LOVE "MY TRAVELGUARD" TRIP INSURANCE!

IN MY OPINION, ITS "PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH" TO EVER BOOK A TRIP THESE DAYS WITHOUT TRIP INSURANCE!

Trip insurance helps if you have a problem getting there or getting home.

It doesn't cover you if you lose days mid trip being sequestered to your room if parks and restaurants close (according to them this am).

So... while we've bought it all 3 times we've gone, I'm less convinced that it's "penny wise/pound foolish"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter