Help Yard Sale

tylerbug

Mouseketeer
Just from reading these boards I can kinda get an item of childrens clothing I am going to price them at .50 cents each....should this be the same on the jeans that are in good shape too!!!also what about adult clothing....I usually don't bother with adult clothes but this time I have alot....alot of Womens (16-20)Disney shirts, pants, outfits about 2 storage containers full and alot of mens dress clothing...some never worn...can anyone give me an idea what things are going for I have never purchased items from a yard sale and have no idea....any help would be appreciated!!

I would charge at least $1 for kids jeans. Maybe even $2 if they are designer brands.

Adult clothes tend to go for at least $1. More if new or expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $5 for a nice shirt for myself in new condition. Mens' clothes usually move slower and are priced lower.

I bought a terrific suit for my son not long ago at a church sale. It was within the last 20 minutes of the sale, so it had been there all day. Can't remember the price it was tagged, but we got it when all the clothes were $5 a bag. Fit several other things into the bag.

That is my favorite way to buy clothes at sales. You might want to try that late in the day if you just want to clear out the stuff that hasn't sold.

Sheila

Like the other threads-- you're going to find the group 50/50 on this one. For every $2-5 answer you get-- you're going to get the no more than $1.00 answer. I find this to be a "hot topic" as each of us on each side of the fence strongly believe one way or another.

My best suggestion maybe ask around your area :confused3 IN MY AREA--- keep all clothing under a $1.00 and it should move. Anything too much more and it's still there in the final hour.

Like I said you'll get answers all over on this. Biggest thing is decide how badly you want them to go, and decide if you want to lug them to a donation center if you're not going to keep them afterwards. Then mark them. :) Good luck w/ your sale!!!!

in my area, the clothing generally goes for $1 with t-shirts being in 50 cents range....i agree with the other poster that men's clothing is generally less...and i understand that some people think that because it's a name brand item they can charge more for it...however, my bottom line is that it's still a used piece of clothing regardless of the label.

:thumbsup2 I usually price 1.00 each item, a couple more for dd's fancy dress, limited 2 stuff. hope this helps! I just want to get something for my stuff!! :rotfl2: good luck! :yay:

I just picked up a ton of stuff that was Limited Too stuff today for $0.25 each :) . Got lots of TCP, Gap, & Roxy too.

I price jeans at $1.00 unless they are designer and it's more. I also price Gymboree and Limited Too quite a lot higher and I usually sell out.

I am getting ready for a yard sale myself. I have shirts and shorts priced at 50 cents each, jeans $1.00, sets $3.00(these are the nice two and three piece ones), Pj's 1.00, Womens clothes anywhere from 2 -5, mens the same.
I have some onsies that I will sell for .25 (size XL) I just started getting it together.

Oh the better sets sell faster when they are hung up. I have two rolling racks that I use to use in my closet that I set up.

We had our first garage sale last week, went really well. Almost all my clothes went, almost all name brand. Jeans I put on $1.00, name brand easily worn $2.00 and name brand like new $3.00. All the pants I did this way and they all went. Name brand shirts I put $1.00 and name brand sweathshirts or sweater $2.00, again all that stuff was sold. All my infant clothes went, most osh gosh, Baby Gap, old navy, pricing about the same. Clothes are a big seller where I live but heard other people in different areas say the opposite. I wasn't going to give the stuff away, so I figured I would put what I felt reasonable and if it didn't sell it didn't sell, no biggie.
We made over $300.00 just on clothes so I was pretty happy with that. Nice to get it out of storage.

Good Luck,

Lory

I agree with the above poster who stated not to just give the clothes away. It really irks me when people on these threads say "oh you won't get more than .25 or .50 for namebrand kids clothes." They are usually ebayers just trying to drive the costs of these items down at sales so they can pick them up dirt cheap and turn around and make a huge profit on ebay. Trust me, if you have quality namebrand kids clothes that are clean and without holes, and you advertise well, you will probably do pretty well during your rummage sale. You can defintely get away with charging between $1 and $3 an item.
Personally, I would rather ebayers stay away from my sales. I would much rather someone buy my cute kids clothes and actually use them for their kids than try to turn around and make money off them. JMO though.

Yep, you got us. We get all the yard salers on this board to mark their stuff super low, then we drive 1800 miles to that sale for those items. :rolleyes:

I just had a yard sale this weekend in Maine, and clothes do not sell here at all. I had some brand new clothes with tags on them and only one of them sold. I think it really depends on where you live as to what sells.

I just had a yard sale this weekend in Maine, and clothes do not sell here at all. I had some brand new clothes with tags on them and only one of them sold. I think it really depends on where you live as to what sells.

I totally agree with this. I'm in the Chicago 'burbs, and I don't bother with clothes at my garage sales at all. I donate them & make a lot more money with my tax deduction.

I have never sold clothes but go to plenty of garage sales and won't pay more then $1 for anything clothes related, no matter what it looks like. In my area it seems most are sold for $.25-$.50 on infant items and I still see them sitting there.

I think the comment about ebayers was quite harsh, I sell on ebay, not clothes, but I would never not give an honest answer on a board like this.

I buy used clothing at yard sales regularly and rarely do I spend more than $1.00 per piece except for maybe jackets or coats. I notice that the higher priced items are plentiful and do not sell well. You can't try anything on there, so who wants to get home and find out something you paid $10 for doesn't fit. For 50 cents or a dollar, you can either put it in your yard sale or donate to charity and not feel like you wasted your money.

noahynav said:
It really irks me when people on these threads say "oh you won't get more than .25 or .50 for namebrand kids clothes."

I'm sure it's very regional, but the people here who try to sell their clothes for more than that usually end up with most of them left over at the end of the day. I guess the competition gets them. If I know I can get everything for under a dollar somewhere else, I'm unlikely to buy much at your sale for more. I might pick out an item or two that I particularly like and pay more, but most likely I won't even take the time to look through your things.

If clothes in your area sell for more, then go for it.

Sheila

I imagine prices do differ in different parts of the country. I live in a small town that is at least 30 minutes from the nearest shopping center. I suppose that is why I can get away with charging a little more for my namebrand clothes. I know that not everyone in my community regularly travels to the bigger cities just to shop. I love to shop though and have closets full of clothes to prove it. ;)
I did not mean to offend anyone with my comment about ebayers....it was just MY OPINION. And yes, I realize that no one travels 1800 miles to hit all the dissers yard sales. My actual gripe is the occasional person that comes to my sales 10 minutes after I open and tries to haggle prices with me when I know they are going to turn around and ebay it or flea market it.(I had a regular who did this and I knew they ran a flea market booth.) She claimed my prices were a little steep too.....funny though, I made $700 that year and over half was on clothing.
I guess I wish that I lived where you all lived if you are really getting namebrands for as little as 50 cents. Most rummage sales in my neighborhood do not carry namebrands at all, and when they do, they easily range from $2 to $5 a piece. I would love to find bargains like those for my little guys wardrobe.
I guess the best advice is for the OP to shop a few of the sales in her neighborhood to see what clothes actually go for where she lives. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter