• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! WL or Poly?

shruley

DIS Veteran
I thought I had our hotel all figured out. Planned to stay at the WL as it was more in line with our budget and with a toddler we planned to spend lots of time at the MK. Now I've been considering a stay at the Poly but don't know if I can justify the extra cost. The rooms would be bigger and with DD we'll be in the rooms pretty early in the evenings, for naps, etc. and being on the monorail would be nice!

But my biggest concern about the WL is noise. I've read lots of people say they've had trouble with noise at WL, and with DD this would definately spoil our trip. The added $$$ for 7 night at the Poly over the WL would for sure add to our budget but I'd hate to pay that much for the WL and have it be horrible because we couldn't sleep.

Please, any opinions on which is better would be appreciated!! Especially if anyone has stayed at both!

We had absolutely no noise problems when we spent a week at WL in Sept. Even in the middle of a hurricane is was very quiet inside the hotel hallways. Not sure how old your DD is, but our 5 year old loved taking the boat to FW. There is quite a bit to do there for young children. Also, you can easily get to Trails End-great buffet. We have not stayed at the Poly so I can't help you there.

We chose the WL for our upcoming trip. My husband like the look of the Poly but it was a lot of $$. The bunkbeds at the WL are a big plus for us and my son loves the outdoors. I booked courtyard view because I have heard that some of the standard views can be noisey. I figured that if it got loud I could put some classical music on to drown out any noise. Your room can be loud anywhere. I guess a lot depends on your neighbors. I will write a trip report when we return. This will be our first stay at the WL. Happy planning. :wave:
Tara

I agree about having loud rooms anywhere. We split our last stay between WL and Poly, had no noise issues at WL but were awakened each morning by inconciderate families running down the hall. Rudeness has no boundaries. I did notice that when we stayed at WL and had courtyard/pool view that the pools are open 24/7. We heard people swimming all night long. DOn't know if that would be enough to keep your DD awake, both of my princess: princess: slept through that but not the running families. DD9 wanted to open the door and ask them to stop!

I wouldn't worry about noise at WL in the slightest. We stayed there last July and loved every minute of our trip. In fact it is on our list of possible resorts for our next trip. We went to POFQ in Dec and much prefer WL. We had a 5th floor double upgrade to an inner court yard view and nothing beat sitting out on the balcony early in the morning or in the evenings. This resort is very lovely, compact and very relaxing.

The Poly does sound wonderful though. My DS would love the volcano pool and the monorial but you are right the price even with the regular views is quite a bit higher.

Have a wonderful trip no matter which you choose.

I've never stayed at WL but have been to the Poly..the rooms are larger at the Poly and helped greatly with our then 7, 5, 4 year olds..but we had 5 in our family and the space helped...we also did AKL with a 5, 3,2 year old and used the crib for our almost 2 year old...it was TIGHT! But if only had one child...I would definitely stay at the WL (size would be fine) and use the money saved to make some great keepsake purchases to remember it buy...a nice pastel portrait from the artist at GF, a sericel of your daughter's favorite movie...anything that you can pass on down to her when she's grown....you'll be fine in that room size wise...can't answer the noise...but mention that on your request as your #1 priority and I'm sure the CM's will figure something out! :)

Have a great trip! :)
Tara

I've stayed at both and never had any problems with noise. If DD is young, I think the pool is awesome and they just love it there

either way, both resorts are terrific :moped: :jumping2: :p princess: :earboy2: :grouphug: pirate: ::MinnieMo :crazy: :Pinkbounc :wizard: :rotfl:

Do they keep the pools open 24/7 even in the winter months, like December etc. ?

We stayed at the WL and had a standard room that overlooked the lobby. It was very noisy as someone would take their crying baby there at all hours of the night. We loved the hotel but now know to request a room off the lobby.
We stayed at Poly twice and never thought noise was an issue....I think you could be very happy at either.

WE have stayed at WL a few times and are going back for Easter break! Never had a noise problem other than the occasional kids running down the hall, but we had that at Poly, too. No resort inherent noise problems at either. If money was no object, I'd pick Poly for the monorail, but i LOVE WL and obviously have no problem staying there! It's fabulous!

Thanks you made me feel better. We're going very late Nov.-early Dec. so unless I get a really good code for the Poly I'll leave it to the Travel Agent to figure out what room to request with the best chance of being quiet. I'm also hoping since the resort probably won't be full the CMs will be able to put us somewhere fairly quiet.

:love:Absolulety NO CONTEST... most definitely and unequivacally The POLYNESIAN! It is so beautiful, relaxing, the pool is so nice, the beach and hammocks are like being in heaven. Love the view of the lake and the castle. The restaurants are fun and the food is delicious, the shops are nice and have items not found in other places, the castmembers are THE BEST! Also, the rooms are SO much bigger and more comfortable. Make sure to request a room with a balcony! :lovestruc

We have stayed at both and were much more comfortable at the Poly. We felt that there were some issues with transportation at the WL, the rooms were cramped and dark and the rustic theming just wasn't for us. although the pool and hot tubs were great (not enough to sway us, though). Also, you couldn't just look across and see the MK... that is part of the magic for us in staying at a MK resort. Also, no monorail access!

:wave: Hi, we'll join the rest that we had no noise problem during our week long stay at WL. It was as quiet as a church!

We loved our stay. I especially loved sitting out on the balcony just taking in the view! Every room has one, except for 2nd, they have a patio since they are groud level. We had wonderful transportation, too!

We've stayed at both. We're DVC members and love WL. After we left the villas, we stayed two nights in the lodge and didn't find noise to be a problem at all. There were five of us (my mother, DH, DS - 4 and DD - 3months). Didn't find it to be crowed in the room at all. Even with the pack - n - play.

We have also stayed at the Polynesian and though the grounds are beautiful and the pool was awesome, we found the room to be very noisy. Much more so than WL. Not sure if the hallways were smaller or the rooms weren't as well insulated, but we heard families leaving for the park in the wee hours of the morning. Those were are sleep in days, so it was not what I had planned.
It was cool to see the monorail ride by, though. Oh, the monorail wasn't noisy, just our neighbors.

I'd go with WL, but that is just me...save the money, eat nice meals :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter