Help with "Walking a Reservation"

This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting the technique. You all have REALLY thought about how to work the system!

True, but there are very few (read almost no) situations where this technique is necessary. Concierge level at AKV and MAYBE a GV during a holiday time, but for the most part, you should NEVER NEED to do this. I have booked both concierge level and a GV calling at the 11 month window with no issues whatsoever. The key is calling at 9 AM. I do know that holiday times would be an issue for CL, but if I had to do the "walking" to get it, it wouldn't be worth it to me. If I couldn't get CL at the 11 month window, I'd just book what I could get and save CL for another trip. That's the beauty of DVC....There's always another trip around the corner!;)

oh o.k. that makes sense. thanks for explaining it for me. So wouldnt you still be ahead of the 7 month callers or non owners rushing to get someplace that is not their home resort by doing the same for the 7 month reservations?
Nope. Chances of it working at 7 months are virtually zero.

If the dates are popular, it's very likely that owners of the resort have already booked one or more of the nights you'd need to reserve in order to successfully walk. If they haven't blocked you, then chances are very good that you could book normally and still get what you wanted

Walking only works at 11 months and it is very,very seldom necessary.

I just did this (walked a reservation) for the 1st time in June. I needed a grand villa at AK Kidani to begin on the Saturday before Memorial Day next year, so I called and booked it for a week beginning the Sat. before I needed it and called every 3 days to walk it to what I needed. The people at DVC were very helpful with this. I told the 1st one I talked to exactly what I needed to do and she helped me through it. She agreed that it was a good idea since the GV's book up early during holiday weeks. I would have felt guilty doing this if I had not read so much about it here.

True, but there are very few (read almost no) situations where this technique is necessary. Concierge level at AKV and MAYBE a GV during a holiday time, but for the most part, you should NEVER NEED to do this. I have booked both concierge level and a GV calling at the 11 month window with no issues whatsoever. The key is calling at 9 AM. I do know that holiday times would be an issue for CL, but if I had to do the "walking" to get it, it wouldn't be worth it to me. If I couldn't get CL at the 11 month window, I'd just book what I could get and save CL for another trip. That's the beauty of DVC....There's always another trip around the corner!;)

I agree! I have never had a probelm getting a room at the 11 month window, even for the hard to get resorts in a demand week. Now, with people doing this "walking" it is going to be hard to get a room at the 11 month window. I really hope this does not catch on.

I agree! I have never had a probelm getting a room at the 11 month window, even for the hard to get resorts in a demand week. Now, with people doing this "walking" it is going to be hard to get a room at the 11 month window. I really hope this does not catch on.

That's my problem with it too. It's just something that makes the whole process a bit unfair.

That's my problem with it too. It's just something that makes the whole process a bit unfair.

Technically, if I were super paranoid, I could start "walking" my way to a Christmas week 2011 Treehouse villa right now. I would think this makes a big hassle for the CM's at MS.

If this catches on, then I think we are going to find the only way to get a hard to get reservation is to walk it. :sad2:

Technically, if I were super paranoid, I could start "walking" my way to a Christmas week 2011 Treehouse villa right now. I would think this makes a big hassle for the CM's at MS.

If this catches on, then I think we are going to find the only way to get a hard to get reservation is to walk it. :sad2:

I'd rather not make the reservation than walk it.

So on January 2, 2011 I call and make reservations for December 2 - 8, 2011, and then on December 5, I call MS again and see if Dec 9 - 12 is available. Then I drop the first four days and add Dec. 9 - 12. I continue to do this until I get the reservations I want for December 24, 2011 - January 2, 2013.

I think you meant, ...and then on *January* 5, I call MS again...

Okay, I've been DVC for three years and a regular here on the boards for about the same time.

We have TWICE tried to get AKV Concierge at our 11 month window without success. But it wasn't a deal breaker.

However, in 2012, we absolutely NEED a GV for a big family summer trip. What's the general concensus? Do I need to walk this or can I call right at 11 months? We really want Jambo House, but would take any GV at AKV.

I totally agree as you can see by my previous post....

Connears

I was assured by MS that I wouldn't have to walk my NYE BWV standard view reservation...and I didn't and they were right. I just wish they would do away with the walking process.

Okay, I've been DVC for three years and a regular here on the boards for about the same time.

We have TWICE tried to get AKV Concierge at our 11 month window without success. But it wasn't a deal breaker.

However, in 2012, we absolutely NEED a GV for a big family summer trip. What's the general concensus? Do I need to walk this or can I call right at 11 months? We really want Jambo House, but would take any GV at AKV.

When during the summer? That can help in deciding but overall my opinion is that for anytime during the summer you will be able to book a GV at AKV at 11 months if you're willing to stay in either building. It is only my opinion though and I'm a believer that walking is 99.9% unncessary.

I think that it depends on when you are planning to go whether or not you should walk the reservation.
I think walking the reservation is a result of the booking a week instead of day by day. I question how much the new booking frees up the cast members.

While I strongly agree with the posters that say walking is not necessary the vast majority of the time, it is the only method available to us members to guarantee we can get that ultra difficult room or reservation that we absolutely have to have for whatever reason. Members should have the right to decide for themselves what is important, and "walk" if they want to.

DVC doesn't care one bit about my reservation or anyone else's, only that all their rooms are filled with warm money spending bodies. And that's fine with me and the way it probably should be for Disney.
DVC created the need for "walking" and the members figured out how to do it.

I have done it once, probably didn't need to, but I would do it again if I felt it was the only way to get what I wanted.
I was perfectly happy calling every day under the old system, but they told me I wasn't. They did what was right for them and I'll do what is right for me. I hope I never have to but you never know, never say never.

Just my $.02 worth on the subject.

While I strongly agree with the posters that say walking is not necessary the vast majority of the time, it is the only method available to us members to guarantee we can get that ultra difficult room or reservation that we absolutely have to have for whatever reason. Members should have the right to decide for themselves what is important, and "walk" if they want to.

DVC doesn't care one bit about my reservation or anyone else's, only that all their rooms are filled with warm money spending bodies. And that's fine with me and the way it probably should be for Disney.
DVC created the need for "walking" and the members figured out how to do it.

I have done it once, probably didn't need to, but I would do it again if I felt it was the only way to get what I wanted.
I was perfectly happy calling every day under the old system, but they told me I wasn't. They did what was right for them and I'll do what is right for me. I hope I never have to but you never know, never say never.

Just my $.02 worth on the subject.
I don't agree with your first paragraph. I think if DVC found a way to keep people from walking a reservation, it would put everyone back on equal ground when it comes to booking.

I do agree with your second paragraph though. DVC created this mess when they changed from booking day of check out to day of check in. At least when people were "walking" the old way, they had to call in each day and add a day, but everyone had the same opportunity to call at the same time. When they went to check IN day booking, the "walkers" were now magically able to reserve AHEAD of everyone else. The old booking way was far more equitable.

I don't agree with your first paragraph. I think if DVC found a way to keep people from walking a reservation, it would put everyone back on equal ground when it comes to booking.

I do agree with your second paragraph though. DVC created this mess when they changed from booking day of check out to day of check in. At least when people were "walking" the old way, they had to call in each day and add a day, but everyone had the same opportunity to call at the same time. When they went to check IN day booking, the "walkers" were now magically able to reserve AHEAD of everyone else. The old booking way was far more equitable.

I agree - I did like the old way better - everyone was equal. But with the current system, people with MORE points are at a distinct advantage over people with less points. (I fall into the later category.)

Besides, I believe I remember reading on the Dis that it was actually a CM that told a member how to do this, and word spread like wildfire.

I was not a member when booking was from check out, so I have no experience with that.

But was wondering if changing the rules regarding when someone can modify a reservation without it having to be cancelled and re-booked would curb walking.

For example, if you book a reservation, you can not modify it for at least 8 days or it will be cancelled and then re-booked.

While I don't ever plan on walking, I have booked my trip with a few extra days at the 11 month mark to give myself some flexibility since airfare rates were not released at that point.

But, my change didn't come for two months and then I simply dropped the days I no longer needed.

When they went to check IN day booking, the "walkers" were now magically able to reserve AHEAD of everyone else. The old booking way was far more equitable.

I think most here on the Boards, who are familiar with the old system would agree that the old system was equitable for ALL members, whether they thought calling every day was an inconvenience or impossible for them, it was available to all and that's how I define fairness.

With that being said, currently EVERYONE has the ability to "walk" if they so choose, it is not limited to some special group of "walkers" as you are implying, it's my choice and your choice and everyone else"s choice, so we shouldn't condemn those that do. We all have the same right and that's FAIR. Just like calling day to day under the old system.

As I said earlier DVC created the new booking system and members found a way to work around it to protect themselves and called it "walking" for lack of a better name. Whoever came up with the idea didn't keep it to themselves for their exclusive use, they shared it here for all members to know about, and I thank him or her for that. If you choose to do it that is your choice, or my choice but at least we have a choice, DVC would probably prefer that we just go along with what they decide is best for ALLof us, sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it.

It may sound like I am pretty down on DVC, but actually it's just the opposite. I love my DVC and plan on keeping it as long as I am physically able to. (I'm getting on in years but a kid at heart)
Until they completely take away all of the so called flexibility that they sold me and I paid for, I'm here for the long haul. I do wish they were at least going in the other direction though.

Now I'm up to $.04 worth.

I agree - I did like the old way better - everyone was equal. But with the current system, people with MORE points are at a distinct advantage over people with less points. (I fall into the later category.)

As long as a person has points enough for 2 days they can walk and have the same results as a high point owner. The point chart changes reducing weekends also helped a lot with this. The only difference is that they will have to call every day where a person booking for a week period only has to call once a week.

But was wondering if changing the rules regarding when someone can modify a reservation without it having to be cancelled and re-booked would curb walking.

For example, if you book a reservation, you can not modify it for at least 8 days or it will be cancelled and then re-booked.

My guess is that the DVC cure would be worse than the illness. But personally I don't feel a change is needed as I'm not feeling there's a mess like Diane talks about. There used to be many, many posts about people struggling with day by day reservations and having holes in their stays. That's gone now. And even day by day really was going outside of the intention of booking your stay from check-out, wasn't it? :confused3

I didn't mean to imply that "walking" was only available to a select group of people. I simply meant that at least with day by day calling (check out day), no one had any distinct advantage by calling day by day. With walking, anyone who wants to could start walking a reservation even a month or more ahead. God bless them if they have the fortitude for it, but doing that gives them an "unfair" (in my estimation) advantage over those who only follow the letter of the law instead of the loop holes.

When people had to call day by day for check out, there was no real way for them to have an advantage over anyone else for that given day. Everyone was in the same pool of time.
My guess is that the DVC cure would be worse than the illness. But personally I don't feel a change is needed as I'm not feeling there's a mess like Diane talks about. There used to be many, many posts about people struggling with day by day reservations and having holes in their stays. That's gone now. And even day by day really was going outside of the intention of booking your stay from check-out, wasn't it?
No, you were capable of booking one day at a time for your trip if you chose to. Frankly, I don't remember many people having "holes" in their stays at all much if they were willing to call right at the 11 month mark and at 9 AM for those hard to book holiday units. The only holes I heard of were when people were booking after that magic hour and month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter