HELP with my DD's computer

More than likely you don't have the driver loaded for your video card. With the Dell System Restoration disc there should be another disc (one is green and one is blue) the green one will have the drivers on it... see if your FIL can find that disc. If not you'll have to download the drivers and install them yourself.

You can do this by going to the download drivers or tech support of the dell website. There should be a service tag number (located on the bottom or the back of the computer) that you can enter. Once that is entered it should give you a list of drivers for the different components in your computer.There may be more than one video driver available and if that is the case download them all until you see the option to change your display settings.

Of course, and I doubt it very much, if there are more than one user profiles set up on this computer... it's possible that your DD's profile does not have administrative rights to change these settings. I've seen this before also.

If you do find that not having the correct drivers is the case, it would be a good idea to download all the drivers and burn them onto a data disc, in essence, you'll be making your own restoration disc just in case you have to blast your computer again.

Good luck

Your Dell will have a Service Tag number on it.

Go to this site here and enter it.

If you can't find it Dell will show you how to find it in their link.

Happy hunting.

Ok can I ask a question about kinda the same thing...My computer crashed last week , husband restored and now the display when I use mouse is jerky and also the bar at bottom of dislay is gone that shows the green bar that shows when it is downloading and then says done. I have tried to see if it is hidden by dragging the page down and it is not....thank you don';t me to hyjack thread just kinda have a question about display too. Oh I tried to change the resolution size like you suggested didn't help just changed type size. thanks

When ever you blast a computer (wipe it clean and start with new system software) alot of people don't realize that you need to load all the appropriate drivers afterwards. Windows Vista and XP will have generic drivers to make most computers functional but if you want to maximize your equipment you need to load your drivers so that your system can talk to the computer components correctly.

All new computers should come with two or more discs (one being the system restoration disc and the other being the drivers and some supporting apps). You need to keep these discs in a safe place otherwise you'll have to download them from your manufactors website.

I found the disk with the model number on it. That number was not an option on the list. I guess I will take it to someone to see if they can fix it. The speakers are not working either so I don't know what is going on with it. It will not let even let me adjust the volume on it either. I am beginning to hate it! :sad2:

Post the model number of the machine and I'm sure one of us will point you in the right direction for all the drivers you need.

May also be worth trying Windows Update, last I checked Microsoft had some generic drivers for most cards.

I found the disk with the model number on it. That number was not an option on the list. I guess I will take it to someone to see if they can fix it. The speakers are not working either so I don't know what is going on with it. It will not let even let me adjust the volume on it either. I am beginning to hate it! :sad2:

The number you need is not on the disc but rather on the computer itself. It's called a Service Tag number. Here is how to find it.

Once you have your Service Tag number you enter it at this website.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Then you will be directed to a site that will list all the drivers that possibly pertain to your computer.

Good luck again.

We had this happen to an older computer someone gave us and it was an issue with missing drivers-for us it was the one for the monitor. Find the service tag number and you will have everything you need-usually in the back of the computer on a metal tag. This is easily fixed, even for someone like me that isn't very computer literate.

Ok can I ask a question about kinda the same thing...My computer crashed last week , husband restored and now the display when I use mouse is jerky and also the bar at bottom of dislay is gone that shows the green bar that shows when it is downloading and then says done. I have tried to see if it is hidden by dragging the page down and it is not....thank you don';t me to hyjack thread just kinda have a question about display too. Oh I tried to change the resolution size like you suggested didn't help just changed type size. thanks

I cannot help with the mouse, but the missing bar at the bottom is the Status Bar. It can be chosen under Tools, Toolbars, Status Bar. Good luck.

The software for the mouse probably isn't installed. Find the disk or check online for the download.

I cannot help with the mouse, but the missing bar at the bottom is the Status Bar. It can be chosen under Tools, Toolbars, Status Bar. Good luck.

Thank you so much that took care of the statis bar and it is back....but it is under View not tools on my computer....now I just have to figure out about the jerky graphics and mouse issue I think they are related and I will get my husband to look for I guess a graphic driver....
Thank you all so much....:goodvibes

Well thank you all, got my husband to look for drivers and reinstall and I am back in business....you people are just so good, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help a computer neophite.....:goodvibes

You probably just need the sound card drivers for that as well.

I agree with others, post what is on the tag on your computer.. someone here can direct you to the right spot. There are several drivers needed, to make the computer run like new. they are not hard at all to install, once have them.

I will echo everyone else that it sounds like you are missing drivers. Click on your Control Panel and than System, than under the 'Hardware' tag, click on Device Manager. That will bring up a list of devices. If there is a yellow Question Mark next to any of them, they are missing drivers. Sometimes you can click on the 'resolve' and the computer will find the missing drivers, others you will have to search the Dell website for.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter