Help with MK tomorrow w a scared daughter & heel pain!

sahara910

Mouseketeer
ugh lol I am dreading MK tomorrow how sad is that? Heres the back story. My dd has sensory issues so anything dark/ loud/ 3d or 4d scares the crap outta her. Shes 8 and for example wears noise reduction headphones at the Movie theater. At Epcot today the seas ride sparked a HUGE meltdown. She laid behind me crying.. sigh.. I have a 6 yo ds who was a little scared at the light fish part (I forget that guys name) but at least he can process the fear.

To top it off my plantar fasciitis is killing me. I can barely walk and REALLY REALLY dont want to get a wheel chair. (yes I know I should put away my pride but Im having a hard time with the whole wheel chair thing)

Today she loved pin trading, innoventions and KP missions in Epcot. She is looking forward to the tea cups and ds is DYING to see Mickey (hopefully without a 40 min wait if we can help it)

any ideas?>???

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried sunglasses (for dd i mean) to gradually adjust her to the darkness? I know this doesn't help much now, it was just a thought.

hmmm no I havent its more the unpredictability its noises and "scary stuff" more than anything really... but yet buzz lightyear freaked her out when she was 4.

It might not be the answer you want, but last trip was the first time I used Crocs, I had zero heel pain. I'm pretty sure they still sell them there?

I'm sorry I have nothing to offer with DD, but :grouphug: that the rest of the trip is ok.

It might not be the answer you want, but last trip was the first time I used Crocs, I had zero heel pain. I'm pretty sure they still sell them there?

I'm sorry I have nothing to offer with DD, but :grouphug: that the rest of the trip is ok.

Thanks! I bought relief rx crocs last week specifically. they help but its not working. Im in the hotel with ice bags on my feet as we speak. I took some advil and will again tomorrow as well. I cannot decide between my crocs or my tennis shoes w heel cups for tomorrow

Buzz lightyear still freaks me out.:)

really because I cannot remember if it has like creepy stuff or "jump out" loud aliens or what should we still avoid it? (if nemos seas freaked her out?)

ugh lol I am dreading MK tomorrow how sad is that? Heres the back story. My dd has sensory issues so anything dark/ loud/ 3d or 4d scares the crap outta her. Shes 8 and for example wears noise reduction headphones at the Movie theater. At Epcot today the seas ride sparked a HUGE meltdown. She laid behind me crying.. sigh.. I have a 6 yo ds who was a little scared at the light fish part (I forget that guys name) but at least he can process the fear.

To top it off my plantar fasciitis is killing me. I can barely walk and REALLY REALLY dont want to get a wheel chair. (yes I know I should put away my pride but Im having a hard time with the whole wheel chair thing)

Today she loved pin trading, innoventions and KP missions in Epcot. She is looking forward to the tea cups and ds is DYING to see Mickey (hopefully without a 40 min wait if we can help it)

any ideas?>???

:grouphug: I can so feel for you on the heel pain and not wanting to use a wheelchair. Have you tried some gel inserts to see if they could give you some relief??

Could you let her wear the ear phones for the park and things that upset her??

:grouphug: I can so feel for you on the heel pain and not wanting to use a wheelchair. Have you tried some gel inserts to see if they could give you some relief??

Could you let her wear the ear phones for the park and things that upset her??

Hey there I let her wear them today she wore them almost the entire time (feels more secure in any new situation)

and I had some other inserts back home. I switched to the heel seats from HTP and thought they would be better...

I have PF and I find that alternating shoes helps a lot. Crocs then tennis shoes ect. Also, it won't help you now, but for future reference I have some Mephisto filp flops that have been the best $125 I ever spent. I got the ones with the thick cork footbed that molds to the foot. They are like birkenstocks, but have about twice the cork at the heel. Fabulous summer shoes!

Have to post personal exp. on this one.. may not help but in case might..
Am nurse, had terrible pain for months.. Doc. was pathetic!
Did the stretches all the time and bought Berkenstocks.. never went barefoot
but wore those suckers 24/7 in the house and doing general running..
Got Earthshoes sneaks for exercise type walking..

It probably took about a month or two .. but the pain is completeley gone..
I'm even barefoot a lot now!

Truly truly empathize with you.. it's a horrible horrible pain!

I haven't read all the posts, but I had bad plantar fasciitis a couple years ago and found it was flip flops, sandals without backs on them that was aggravating it. Crocs probably don't fit tightly enough to keep your foot from feeling like it has to "hang on" to the shoe when you walk. The muscles that "hang on" shorten and tighten and that causes pain. I highly recommend sticking to tennis shoes with ties or some other type of shoe other than flip flops, crocs, or sandals. It takes it a long time to calm down once it flares up, so in the meantime take anti-inflammatory like Aleve as often as the bottle says you can, and other than that I'm not sure what you can do. Unfortunately all the walking and standing in line at Disney is NOT going to help matters. Hopefully some anti inflammatory will help keep it under control. My physical therapist friend recommended some stretches for it. If you have ever stretched your calf out by doing kinda a lunge and pushing your heel down, that's one, or rolling your foot mostly in the center arch over a tennis ball in the morning. I find that in the summer I have to be VERY careful with what shoes I choose or this flares up again very quickly! I might soak my feet in a hot bathtub after the parks each night if I was you to try to calm those tight muscles down. Ice may be making it worse?? But I'm no doctor...

As far as DD, I'm sorry I don't have any advice. Other than to say there are lots of things at MK that aren't scary and dark. She doesn't HAVE to do the rides does she? There are playgrounds, meeting characters, Toontown with the houses to go through, the Railroad... hopefully you can have a good time without totally freaking her out. I wouldn't force her to do anything she's scared of. I would explain to her tonight that there are a lot of other things there, and that she doesn't have to do any rides she doesn't want to. Best of luck to you!!

Hi -

your DD - does she have a sensory diet in place? Maybe doing some of her deep pressure activities, keeping your arm around her in those rides, wearing her headphones, holding one of those light up spinny toys to distract, reminding her she doesnt have to look at what is going on....??? maybe even asking the cast member before you get in line about what the ride is like before getting on (if you havent been on it before)...??? Chewing gum is also helpful for calming and organizing (deep jaw pressure)....lots of crunchy snacks too!! Maybe taking more breaks to give her sensory system to calm back down between events that may upset her...

You - can you get to the gift shop at your hotel? Get a roll of athletic tape - start one piece at your heel and go from there to just under your big toe - then do another from your heel to under your pinky toe (like a V shape) then take 1-2 pieces and go around your arch (not toooooo tight that you will cut off circulation, but snug).....you are most likely already really inflamed - so take your advil (you mentioned heel cups - do you have a podiatrist you could call about the pain), stretch and wear your crocs - this really really helped me - I learned the taping technique from PT at work (Im an OT) and it really helped me to actually heal my heel!!! That pain is really tough, especially when you are at disney!!! I find that the crocs scutes are really the most comfie for my heel - if you have a pair of those????

Hope you all feel better reallly soon!!

Snow White tends to scare kids and Mickey's Philharmagic is surprisingly loud, but most other fantasy land rides would be ok. Pooh ride does have a thunderstorm scene. I'd avoid Haunted Mansion, too. Might get away with Pirates but not as the first ride. Can you bring a light toy for her to turn on so that she has some control over the darkness in the rides?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter