Help with menu selections needed.

marvali

DIS Veteran
I think I have read this somewhere but can't seem to find it. As long as it is not a buffet meal only, can anyone order off of the child's menu if there is one? I have an 11 year old who has very limited tastes at times, and often does not eat a lot since he is a little small for his age. He would most times pick the items on the child's menu if he had a choice, and would probably never eat all of an adult plate.

I think most places allow it, but you'll be paying adult prices for it.
At buffets, anyone can eat any of the food on the buffets that they want (even that food that is considered the kids food)

As long as you're not on the DDP, anyone can order off the childrens menu and pay the child price (except buffets). My DS 11 still orders off the kids menu at times and my BIL ordered off the kids menu all week when they went with us one year.

You can order off the child's menu. If your on the dinning plan you still have to pay the adult price. But if you paying out of pocket then you should be good ordering off the child's menu.

I think I have read this somewhere but can't seem to find it. As long as it is not a buffet meal only, can anyone order off of the child's menu if there is one? I have an 11 year old who has very limited tastes at times, and often does not eat a lot since he is a little small for his age. He would most times pick the items on the child's menu if he had a choice, and would probably never eat all of an adult plate.

my 28 year old sis is allergic to everything and is very pickey in what she eats and everytime we go down she gets off the kids menu. we explain that she is allergic to everything and eats like a bird and they are fine with it. have no fear your guys are still young they should have no problems

As long as you're not on the DDP, anyone can order off the childrens menu and pay the child price (except buffets). My DS 11 still orders off the kids menu at times and my BIL ordered off the kids menu all week when they went with us one year.
Thanks Chelle, I thought that was what I had read. We don't do the DDP, and this time we will be using the DDE for the first time. I understand what you are saying about the DDP but I'm not sure why Disney would care in that case (except buffets) because you are paying a lot per day for the DDP as an adult. If you want to waste it on small meals off the child's menu, Disney is just making that much more money off the plan. At the very least they are offsetting some of the people who order the most expensive items on the menu for their money.

You can order off the child's menu. If your on the dinning plan you still have to pay the adult price. But if you paying out of pocket then you should be good ordering off the child's menu.

my 28 year old sis is allergic to everything and is very pickey in what she eats and everytime we go down she gets off the kids menu. we explain that she is allergic to everything and eats like a bird and they are fine with it. have no fear your guys are still young they should have no problems

Thanks, that is what I thought would be the answer. It is kinda like going to McDonald's and ordering a Happy Meal. They don't ask if you are really buying it for your kid. My DS11 would be more likely to eat a hot dog, or mac and cheese, or pizza than blackened catfish or flank steak or a canyon skillet or something like that. He eats fruits and veggies too, but he would never eat a whole plate of food that would make the rest of us miserable from being stuffed when we are done.

When it comes to the character meals we are doing, my two teen sons will make up for the smaller amount DS11 gets from an adult buffet meal. It is worth it for him to get to enjoy the character interaction anyway (not to mention the fact his Dear old Dad still has a ball playing around with the characters too;) ).

I think what was said about the DDP was that an adult can order off the children's menu, but the meal will still be paid for with adult credits.

At buffets, anyone over 9 will pay the adult price no matter what or how much they eat.

I understand the clear cut items, like if purchasing DDP then DS11 would pay the adult DDP price, and if we went to a character meal buffet (or Boma dinner buffet, etc.) we would pay the adult price for him using DDE (which is how we will be doing dining on this trip).

My question concerned any TS restaurant that is strictly menu oriented where the posted menues show an adult menu and a child's menu, but don't specifically mention an age. This would include places like the 50's Prime Time Cafe where he would prefer items on the child's menu over the pot roast (which I definitely plan to try since I have seen so many comments about how good it is) and Olivia's at OKW (where we are staying) where he would do better with the child's pancakes over the adult plate which he would never be able to finish.

It seems intuitively obvious in those cases that he could order off the child's menu, but I just wanted to make sure (for planning purposes only) that when you get to the restaurant, they don't actually have a rule in place that limits the age of those who can order from the child's menu. It sounds like from many of the answers that they don't, but if we get there and a particular restaurant does have a restriction, we will do whatever is required.

I was really just trying to get a ballpark figure of how much we were going to save with the DDE card and how quickly it would pay for itself (which is pretty quick with the ADRs we already have).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter