Help with lens purchase

saturndb

I'm Dave and I approved this Post.
My husband and I are going to disney in October. We plan on going to AK and doing the safari ride. I want to get him a nice lens for our anniversary. This is what he has right now.

nikon d80
sb 600 flash
18-200 vr nikon lens
50 mm nikon lens
10.5 nikon fisheye lens
tamarac bag
gitzo tripod
gitzo monopd
Also he has many filters.... though I have no idea what they do::eek:

I was thinking of this lens Sigma AF 135-400/4.5-5.6. I thought the zoom would be good for the ride, so he could get some nice close up pics. The most I can spen is 550.00 (shipped)

I would be thankful for any help or ideas..... :banana:

The Sigma 135-400mm could be a nice option. I don't know much about it, but Sigma does make good lenses. For AK and that lens I would also suggest a monopod. Thats a good size piece of glass and hand held especially at the 400mm end will be tough. It might not be as easy on the Safari ride as it can be VERY bumpy.

The Nikon 70-300mm VR lens is another great option. The VR is wonderful especially at the long end. It is very sharp and it fits in your budget.

Another option is Sigma's 30mm f/1.4. I find it a better option for Disney than the 50mm Nikon. It also fits in your budget. Or maybe a wide angle zoom. Though he does have the fish eye. I like Sigma's 10-20mm.

Also a Gary Fong diffuser, either the whale tale or the inverted dome clear, is a nice accessory for the flash. They go for about $50.

I was thinking of the sigma for it's zoom for AK. Since he does not kow I am thinking of doing this, am I thinking wrong, would he just use a diferrent lens for the safari ride? Would the sigma lens be a good choice for the fireworks, or is this lens just over kill and I should think more basic use for at the parks.

Again thanks for the help guys, since I am not a photographer type I dont know what would be best for him to use at Disney :confused3

I think it would be a good lens overall to use at AK. But keep in mind that because of the nature of the Safari ride, with all the bouncing and jerky movement and stuff, using a longer lens is a bit more challenging than shorter lenses. Its kind of a catch 22. The longer lens is great at getting closer, but that also means a heavier lens to hold and more chances of being bumped around. Outside of that 1 ride there are plenty of other places around that park were this lens would do well. Both jungle walks, the oasis with all the birds, the monkey's in Asia outside Kahli river for example.

If he is into sports shooting, do you have kids in sports (outdoor sports). Do you like to go to zoo's? Does he like shooting wildlife or birds around the neighborhood? If anything like that, then this would be a fine lens to add to his lineup. Since he already has a monopod, he's good to go there. This lens is heavy at 2.75lbs.

Its focal length is a very good compliment to his 18-200.

I don't think he would necessarily use a different lens for the Safari, just be sure NOT to sit in the back 2 rows at least.

For fireworks, his 18-200 on a tripod

Looking at the other lens he has, I would not recommend the 135-400. It is a fairly slow lens at longer distances. I looked it up and a user said hard to get a sharp image at 400mm under 1/250 sec. That may be hard to do on the safari ride. It is also big and heavy which is not the thing to sling around on the bumpy safari ride.

Which 50mm does he have. While the 1.8 is nice the 1.4 is even nicer. He could then sell the 1.8 very easily.

The Gary Fong lightdome is a great idea. I have one and love it.

Does he like close up photography? The Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro is in that price range. Also functions as a great medium length telephoto.

Just a note- if you are ordering him a 3rd party lens (Sigma, Tamron, etc.) be sure to order the Nikon mount. Most come in multiple variations.

The Nikon 70-300VR can be had for under $500. It's a great lens, and you'll probably need the VR for the Safari ride especially zoomed out 100%. Even w/ VR you may have a hard time getting a lot of good shots due to the bumpiness of the ride. I couldn't imagine doing it w/out the VR.

would the Nikon 70-300 be a better overall lens than the Sigma 135-400?

It seems, by what you put in your first post, that you are really looking forward to getting a lens that will work great on the Safari. I don't know anything at all about the Sigma. I just really think if you don't have VR and a long zoom, it's going to be really difficult to get a lot of great shots due to the movement/bumpiness of the Safari. Sorry. I wish I could give you an informed opinion of one vs. the other. Hopefully somone else will chime in w/ experience using the Sigma.

Better has lots of variables

The Sigma would have more REACH, which in some cases might be considered as "better". It does require more light to be hand held with decent results, when compared with a 70-300mm lens that has vibration reduction.

On a bright sunny day shutter speed should be plenty fast enough to hand hold the Sigma(even on Safari), but on overcast days that shorter focal length and VR from the Nikon will kick in.

Also a Gary Fong diffuser, either the whale tale or the inverted dome clear, is a nice accessory for the flash. They go for about $50.

Another nice little Gary Fong invention is the Puffer. I picked one up to play around with and was very pleasantly surprised at its ability to take light up fish in aquariums at a local Aquarium (when shooting at a slight angle). The way it handled people was equally nice (might be a good candidate for fill flash usage). It attaches to the camera in the hot shoe slot and works with the cameras pop up flash.

Nemo at Mystic Aquarium:

IMG_0125.jpg

This photo was done using a Gary Fong Light Sphere II attached to my external flash. The picture held by my parents has a glass over it (no reflection and the room is equally lit)

IMG_0309.jpg

Michael

I recently bought the Nikon 70-300mmVR. I really like it. Here is a link to some pictures I took with it on my D50. It did quite well considering I was in a quick moving boat going over wake at 7pm. I think it would be a great lens for the bumpy AK Safari(I haven't tried it there,tho).
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1903602
Since I didn't have my VR at the time I used my 70-210f/4 at AK back in Feb. I did ok when the truck wasn't bouncing too much and 200mm end was fine for getting fairly close to a lot of the animals.
333923494_nnykD-M.jpg

333923150_dHdpe-M.jpg

333924273_qpHqy-M.jpg

333924930_dFmaW-M.jpg

The 70-300mm VR is around $480- $490 shipped. I got mine from B&H in July.
I wonder if the 135mm end of the Sigma may be too much for some animals that come close to the truck? Its hard to change lenses on the ride.

ended up getting him a sigma 135-400. Got a new one real cheap from someone who never used his.....

ended up getting him a sigma 135-400. Got a new one real cheap from someone who never used his.....

Nice! Let us know how it turns out. We'd love to see some pictures with it. Especially Disney pictures, but any will do.

I think a few people may have some interest in this, so when it is put to use get us a review. :thumbsup2

Nice! Let us know how it turns out. We'd love to see some pictures with it. Especially Disney pictures, but any will do.

I think a few people may have some interest in this, so when it is put to use get us a review. :thumbsup2
::yes:: I agree. Please post some photos from the Safari when you get a chance - would love to see them and hear how the lens worked out for you.
Thanks and good luck! I was thinking of getting something like this myself for when I go whale watching but was worried that w/out the VR on a moving boat the pictures wouldn't turn out. Let us know how you like it!:cool1:

we go in October and I will have my hsuband post some pictures!
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter