• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with kid's meals

Goseethemouse

Mouseketeer
We are planning an extended trip to Disney and I am a bit concerned by the limited choice for children's meals. I know everyone complains about this, but my four year old doesn't eat meat for the most part (i.e. no hamburger, hot dog, chicken nuggets) and doesn't like cheese (i.e. grilled cheese sandwiches, maccaroni and cheese). Part of our trip will be with, part without DDP. We will visit a fair number of buffets which should be fine. Still, I am a bit worried about some restaurants which don't seem to offer anything he likes. Can you get the maccaroni plain? Is it possible to substitute sides for the main dish at table service restaurants? Would love to hear how other moms of picky eaters have handled this.

I can tell you that buffets will be your friend. ;)

My 7yr old is my picky eater... no veggies (unless it is in salad form), and only chicken for meat. I don't know about getting mac n cheese plain, but I would think you could sub more veggies/sides for the entree at a TS.

You might think about packing snacks you know he will eat, so he will have plenty throughout the day if he can't fill up at meals.

I am in same boat. Our DD almost 2, is the pickiest eater ever. No meat at all, except a hot dog, she likes bread, plain pasta w/ btr & parm cheese, crackers, any fruit, and sometimes fries. That is about it.
We leave in a few days, so I can post how we did when we get back.

I doubt you'll get many accomodations at the CS places in the parks - so read the menus carefully. And, just like at home, don't go to any that don't offer something that he will like (unless you're prepared and give him a mickey ice cream bar before going in). You might find that instead of using CS credits for him - just use a kids credit for yourself and let him let him eat the adult one. OR another option is to use snack credits for him - a muffin from Main St bakery....a soft pretzel from a street vendor....

I THINK that the mac n cheese at the parks is pre-made - so I don't think you could get it plain.

You can always pay OOP for him to get an appetizer at a TS that might appeal to him...I'm trying to think about what he would even eat at restaurants at home with no cheese and no meat and having trouble with what even the choices you're looking for would be. Just fruit and veggies maybe?? Maybe ask for the grilled chicken meal with an extra side of veggies INSTEAD of the chicken?? The appetizer (like soup in some TS places) plus 2 veggies if you ask for minus the entree piece, plus the dessert would likely be enough to fill a 4 year old. And if not - there's always a snack credit on your way out.

Don't worry - if you stick to buffets you won't be 'wasting' money even if he won't eat/use any of his CS credits - because the kids plan is so cheap - you made money on the deal with one buffet and one snack per day.

Most table services will accommodate you. We were able to get plain pasta. Some table services have fish, if that is an option.

Counter service places will most likely not be able to accommodate you. However, if you go to Cosmic Ray's in MK the sides that come with a regular adult chicken and ribs meal are mashed potatoes and green beans. So, that might be something you can share. There are a lot more choices in the CS in Epcot, rice and noodles in Japan or China?

Thank you for all the input. I know it sounds like my little one is really hard to please, but actually he isn't. He loves vegetables, fruit, pasta (without cheese), rice etc. :cool1:The problem is just that the Disney kids meals are geared towards the foods he doesn't like.:confused3

I am not too worried about the counter service meals. He does like grapes, french fries, etc. and we can always share. We aren't big eaters so one adult and two kids meals would probably be too much anyway. I am thinking we'll just use one of each and share the food. The extra kids CS will be fine for breakfast.

I guess the only places I am a bit concerned about are those TS meals that are not buffets and don't seem to offer anything he likes. DS tells me he'll be fine just eating french fries but I feel kind of bad about the waste (untouched hamburger etc.). Maybe I can get extra sides instead.

Candielips, I would be very interested to hear how things go for you! Also, I think I read somewhere that there are vegetarian options at Ohana and Hoop dee Doo Revue. Anyone have some info on that?

LOL - I have the opposite problem. My 7 year old loves to eat all kinds of food (not picky at all thankfully) and will probably want items off the adult menu. The yucky offerings from the kids menus are so limited and repetitive so we are trying to pick buffets and family style places (i.e. Ohana, HDDR, etc). If worse comes to worse my dh or I will have to share our adult meals with him. My 6 year old will probably be fine with the kids menu - he loves pizza, burgers, chicken fingers, etc. He's not a big eater at all...

We got plan pasta at 50s Prime Time. We ordered mac 'n' cheese, and my very picky son who does not eat any type of meat, did not like it. When our server saw him not eating, she offered to get him whatever he wanted, and ended up making our entire night by getting him plain pasta. Just ask! The servers are really willing to help if you ask. And no, she was not expecting more of a tip because this was when tips were included in the DDP. She was our best server ever!

WOW! Same kind of child, here!

NO meat, eggs, cheese, chicken, etc. We went last year during free dining, but I packed bread, PB&J, snacks and cereal in our suitcase just in case (SO glad I did!) DD5 would not touch the mac&cheese there as it was (as I recall) more white in color than orange like Kraft; the buffets were great, since she does like fruit/veggies (and french fries and rice!) I was able to get plain pasta at Coral Reef for her, so yes, they are very accommodating if you ask. She did also like the pizza at Akershus (amazing, since she doesn't really like it at home). The PB&J we got at Cosmic Rays was NOT homemade, it was those pre-package smuckers round thingies, so no good there either!

You will have some options, but I would surely pack some things that he likes to bring with you. We are going back again this year, and foregoing free dining (better pin code for the room discount anyways) and packing the same stuff again.

Have fun! And I am told they will grow out of it! That remains to be seen!:confused3

We have found the staff at the TS restaurants will bend over back wards to make the kids happy. Just ask for what you want. Be prepared that they may say no, but will likely then offer suggestions to make your child happy.

If your kiddo likes pb&j, you are in luck. Most locations have the smuckers uncrustables, just ask if you don't see them on the menu.

My kids didn't eat meat until recently but we never had any problems at the TS places getting plain pasta or just side dishes. CS generally just have what is on the menu so we had to plan for those carefully but we were able to make it work mostly because our resort CS each time was more fleixible about what the kids could have. I don't understand why WDW can't have the same kids pack they offer almost everywhere at DL which contained string cheese, yogurt, apples, goldfish crackers, cookie and drink (milk, juice, soda, or water). It worked out great when the kiddos didn't like the kids meal offered they could just get the kids pack instead.

The chefs and servers at TS restaurants are usually so helpful - I think if you tell them your son doesn't eat meat or cheese, they can offer suggestions that will appeal to him.

Have a great time!

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter