• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with difficult ride situation

Mom2Joce

It all started with a...
Ok, typically I go with friends so this isn't a problem but it's just me and my 13yo and 7yo. My 13yo rides EVERYTHING and fears nothing, my 7yo fears everything. I know there are the single rider lines but it's only so much fun going by yourself. Are there any ways, tips tricks for us to all stand in line, be able to ride with my older one and have the 7yo wait in a safe place? Just like for Screamin', Space, Indie, BTMRR, Matterhorn? I can't be the only family like this?!? What do people do?

Ok, typically I go with friends so this isn't a problem but it's just me and my 13yo and 7yo. My 13yo rides EVERYTHING and fears nothing, my 7yo fears everything. I know there are the single rider lines but it's only so much fun going by yourself. Are there any ways, tips tricks for us to all stand in line, be able to ride with my older one and have the 7yo wait in a safe place? Just like for Screamin', Space, Indie, BTMRR, Matterhorn? I can't be the only family like this?!? What do people do?

I think technically your youngest is too young to be unaccompanied in the parks (must be 14 or older or with a guest 14 or older), so AFAIK you would have to wait with (correction) her.

Ok, so we can ride swap :)
Is that allowed in single rider lines so my 13yo doesn't have to wait by herself?

Ok, thanks everyone. Looks like FP and ride swapping will be what we do!!

I thought ride swapping took 2 adults, one to watch the non riding child, while others rode. Then swapping after the first group rides.

I go often by myself with my DD's 8 and 11. My DD11 will not do TOT or CS but I make her wait in line with us. For TOT, they just pull her aside and she sits on a bench right outside the ride to wait for us. For CS, she scoots through and waits by the stairs. She has a phone with her also. I know she is a bit older than yours but I think at 7 I would have been ok with her waiting like this. The CM's are always really nice and chat with her while she waits for us. You have to be 7 to go on rides without an adult so waiting by themselves should be ok too. Hope this helps!

I go often by myself with my DD's 8 and 11. My DD11 will not do TOT or CS but I make her wait in line with us. For TOT, they just pull her aside and she sits on a bench right outside the ride to wait for us. For CS, she scoots through and waits by the stairs. She has a phone with her also. I know she is a bit older than yours but I think at 7 I would have been ok with her waiting like this. The CM's are always really nice and chat with her while she waits for us. You have to be 7 to go on rides without an adult so waiting by themselves should be ok too. Hope this helps!

SWEET, so the 13yo and I could ride and the 7yo could wait for us. He too has a phone and I thought I remember this happening to us once a while ago. It was for Indie. DD wanted to ride it and then when we got to the cars she chickened out. I offered to NOT ride and then a cast member said she could hang out with them on the other side until our ride was over with. I'm hoping by standing in line he will just give the ride a try :)
Thanks so much for your tip :)

I thought ride swapping took 2 adults, one to watch the non riding child, while others rode. Then swapping after the first group rides.

I'm sure ride swapping means two "people" I don't have another adult with me and thought I'd use my 13 year old daughter as my other "person." I'm not looking for special treatment just the opportunity to have the same fun with my kids :)

I've done this with my own two kids when they were younger, and never had an issue. My daughter was more daring (and she's the younger one), so all three of us would go through the line together. I would have my son just walk through the car to the exit side, and he would wait for us until we were through. If you are okay with your kids being alone for a few minutes while you're on the ride you won't have to ride single-rider.

I used to tell him that he didn't have to ride, but he did have to be in line with us, and if he decided to go on the attraction then all the better. If he continued to say no, then it was all good, too.

SWEET, so the 13yo and I could ride and the 7yo could wait for us. He too has a phone and I thought I remember this happening to us once a while ago. It was for Indie. DD wanted to ride it and then when we got to the cars she chickened out. I offered to NOT ride and then a cast member said she could hang out with them on the other side until our ride was over with. I'm hoping by standing in line he will just give the ride a try :)
Thanks so much for your tip :)

Yep, some rides will accommodate a child sitting out. We did it on Splash last time. My 9 year old decided at the last moment that she didn't want to ride and they said she could sit on a nearby bench (right next to the ride exit) and wait. POTC will do this as well I believe. I think it depends on the child though. My child was fine waiting alone but I'm sure others would panic if you didn't come back fast enough. The CM's aren't responsible to watch them so just make sure you know your little will be okay waiting. :goodvibes

The only other caveat I would throw in is to talk with your children about what to do if the ride breaks down while you are on it. Whichever child is alone may have to wait a bit for the ride to be evacuated. Under those circumstances I would make sure to have a meeting place arranged that is outside of the building just in case the CMs make the solo child leave the exit area (I'm thinking like if a fire alarm goes off or something like that). I don't think this is a common occurrence, but it's better to be prepared for all outcomes.

Rider swap is meant for children who are too short to ride, so they aren't even permitted in the queue. In your case, your child is 7 which is the age for single rider, so I think a 7 year old would be aloud to sit on a bench by herself and wait for a ride, since she'd also be aloud to ride by herself. Depending on the ride, she may be able to take the "chicken exit" and wait with you in the lineup and then exit before the ride loads.

What you might want to do first is go single rider yourself or send your older one single rider, and then you can wait with the 7 year old and show her where to meet up. That way she will have gone through the process once with your help and then she'll be able to figure it out by herself the next time.

One some rides, like Space and TOT, the ride exits into a gift shop, so she could spend some time looking around the shop while you ride, and there are CMs there so that can ease your mind.

I've done this with my own two kids when they were younger, and never had an issue. My daughter was more daring (and she's the younger one), so all three of us would go through the line together. I would have my son just walk through the car to the exit side, and he would wait for us until we were through. If you are okay with your kids being alone for a few minutes while you're on the ride you won't have to ride single-rider.

I used to tell him that he didn't have to ride, but he did have to be in line with us, and if he decided to go on the attraction then all the better. If he continued to say no, then it was all good, too.

This is exactly what we did with my DS(8) last time on RSR. DD(5) and DS(6) were raring to go, but not the oldest! Go figure. I felt he was too young to wait the entire time we were in line by himself and too old to "baby" swap (I have heard, though not tested it, that you can only use swap passes for kids that don't meet the height requirement, not for kids that just don't want to ride). He came through the line with us and at the ride, crossed over the vehicle and waited at the exit until we were done.

I'm sure ride swapping means two "people" I don't have another adult with me and thought I'd use my 13 year old daughter as my other "person." I'm not looking for special treatment just the opportunity to have the same fun with my kids :)

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say anything about special treatment. Swapping is an acceptable policy. I just thought it meant one adult ( 14 or older ) watched the non riding child while the other rode. Then switched. I didn't know that Disney would watch a child while a parent was riding.

I didn't know that Disney would watch a child while a parent was riding.

They won't. CMs will not take care of kids waiting for others who are on an attraction. Each family has to decide if they are comfortable with leaving their child and make arrangements for a meeting place and what to do in case the ride breaks down, etc.

Rider swap is meant for children who are too short to ride, so they aren't even permitted in the queue. In your case, your child is 7 which is the age for single rider, so I think a 7 year old would be aloud to sit on a bench by herself and wait for a ride, since she'd also be aloud to ride by herself. Depending on the ride, she may be able to take the "chicken exit" and wait with you in the lineup and then exit before the ride loads.

What you might want to do first is go single rider yourself or send your older one single rider, and then you can wait with the 7 year old and show her where to meet up. That way she will have gone through the process once with your help and then she'll be able to figure it out by herself the next time.

One some rides, like Space and TOT, the ride exits into a gift shop, so she could spend some time looking around the shop while you ride, and there are CMs there so that can ease your mind.

This is exactly what we did with my DS(8) last time on RSR. DD(5) and DS(6) were raring to go, but not the oldest! Go figure. I felt he was too young to wait the entire time we were in line by himself and too old to "baby" swap (I have heard, though not tested it, that you can only use swap passes for kids that don't meet the height requirement, not for kids that just don't want to ride). He came through the line with us and at the ride, crossed over the vehicle and waited at the exit until we were done.
Rider Swap is for people who can not or do not want to ride. It's most commonly used for kids who are too small but if a child is fearful of the ride they will give you a Rider Swap. My son does not like roller coasters, they gave us passes each time, no question and he's clearly tall enough to ride. I've even heard of people using it for grandparents so they don't have to sit alone while others ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter