Help with choice! POP or POR??

AlexandAndysMom

Mouseketeer
I need your help! We are planning to go the last week of Feb 2013 and can't decide on what to do. There will be 3 adults, 2 children and baby (well, 15 months). We were thinking about staying at POR this time because the cost is about the same. But, we've been POP people and have done 2 rooms before. Given the choice, what would you do? What are the Pros and Cons to POR? Transportation? Location away from food courts? Any help would be appreciated!

if the price is basically the same- i would choose por. :)

it's a lovely resort-there are several pools, the main one has a slide, the food court has a good selection, there is also a ts restaurant (we've not ate there) and you can also use the pool at pofq.

there are loads of pictures and wonderful comments on this site. :cool1::cool1:

I would pick POR we were just there in Aug. we loved it. the grounds are beautiful. The food court is large and has a great selection. We loved the make your own pasta bowl. We Ate at Boatwrights which is the TS restaraunt there and really enjoyed it. It had a yummy butterscotch creme brulee! The CM were all wonderful. If you decide on POR don't miss Yeehaw Bob's show in the lounge! Its a lot of fun for all ages.

I have stayed at both and would choose POR any day! I liked pop but loved POR. Bussing wasn't an issue for us :).

Have been to both. Would recommend Pop because if you get 2 rooms, you get 2 bathrooms!! If you are Pop people, you already know what's there. There are more amenities at POR, like mentioned, including the slide and beautiful grounds. POR has a good food court too. We were really, really far from everything when we were at POR. Pop doesn't seem as spread out to me. Bus at Pop is only for Pop. Bus at POR will often do POFQ too. But POR has the boat ride to downtown Disney. Great option either way. Enjoy!!

I am a Pop Fan. We stay there every year and love it. has a great layout, great food court. If your favorite park is Hollywood Studios, you are really close by. :)

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter which resort you choose! My family has not had a chance to stay at POP, but POR is very nice and now they have the new Royal rooms which would be great to try! POR also has a sit-down restaurant and a much more immersive theme than POP. However, as was previously stated, POP does have its own buses which is a plus. All things considered, I would probably stay at POR but I know wherever you stay will be great!

Those are my two fave resorts! OMG that's a tough one to choose. if cost is the same i suppose id pick POR. the place is gorgeous and serene. you get surrey bike rentals and the boat to DTD is awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

I have never stayed at POR but have stayed at POFQ once and Pop many times. Pop is one of our favorites with the awesome food court and theming. Plus now you can walk over the bridge to check out AoA too! But I'm sure you can't go wrong with whichever you choose :thumbsup2

I love POR, but were you planning on 2 rooms there? As much as i love this resort, I wouldn't want to stay in 1 room with the amount of people you have going. Even though they accom. 5 + baby it would be way to cramped for me, and I'd go with 2 rooms at POP, unless you can do 2 rooms at POR.

We have stayed a POP a few times, and POFQ once. We visited POR briefly last year. Both my wife and I loved it, and have decided to stay there this January.

I find the value resorts to be just okay. They are relatively inexpensive, but are too much like the old Howard Johnsons motel with the additon of giant graphics. The moderate and deluxe resorts feel like resorts, with magnificent details and landscaping. If the cost is similar, I'd definately upgrade!

We really enjoyed POR this past September it was me dh ds 12 dd 10 dd 7 my problem was we were way too packed in one room. We need the extra space to breath. And a 2nd bathroom is so worth it!

With 3 kids I'd chose Pop and get that extra bathroom. For use the second bathroom makes all the difference in making RD in the morning! I also like that Pop is more compact. Everytime I have stayed at POR we have ended up so far away from the food court it was not practical to go eat there in the morning. I also don't like the multiple bus stops, it seems like the bus ride takes forever that way.

In my previous post I said that I would stay at POR over POP, but I think you mean two rooms at POP vs. one at POR, is that correct? In that case, I would probably go with two rooms over just one because you would have a lot more space. Something else to consider is staying at Art of Animation. The Little Mermaid rooms are about the same price as POP and IMO Art of Animation is AMAZING!! The pools, the dining...it's just great. I told DH last time that I would stay at AoA again over any other value or moderate (and possibly even some deluxe) resorts.

We just stayed at por with 5 of us. Me, dh, 7, 5, and a 2 year old. If you stay there pay for a preferred room because the resort is spread out. Our logic was this. Queen size beds, pool with a slide, covered bus stops, and we used the pull down bed instead of a pack n play for the little guys. We also received the reg dining for free instead of the quick service that value was offering. It was cheaper to stay moderate than stay value and upgrade the dining plan. I did not want to chance not getting connecting rooms by staying in a value either. If they couldn't guarantee it, I was planning on it.

You've put one of my favorite values against my least favorite mod. That said, I'd still pick 'new' (to you) over what you've done before. I love it when we can explore a resort ofr the first time! (the only place that's new to me is the newest resort). If you do pick Pop, make sure to visit the new resort!

A few points to consider: POR is probably more spread out, POR has the least exciting mod pool- but it's still way more fun than the Pop pool. PLUS you are allowed to use the POFQ pool and use refill mugs at POFQ. You get the bonus of the shuttle boat to DTD/POFQ/POR. You get QUEEN beds (but only two vs. having four beds in two rooms), You'll get more bathrooms at Pop, but begin sread over two rooms could also be a pain if the rooms are not connected. Connected rooms are NEVER promised at WDW. You get a decent TS at POR. That's super nice if you are on DDP.

Both food courts offer similar choices. Both are pretty typical American-type fare. (classic WDW food court food) Like Pizza/pasta, burgers, ice cream, coffee bar, salads, eggs, waffles, cereal, sandwiches...

That said- if it were me- I'd pick POFQ (or Coronado Springs) I like the compact feel of POFQ better. I also like the pool better.

I have stayed at both and I would choose POR. More peaceful , beautiful grounds, hot tub, great food court, boat to DTD, and queen beds. If you can afford to pay a perferred room though I would do it to be closer to everything because it is a large resort.

I love POR, but were you planning on 2 rooms there? As much as i love this resort, I wouldn't want to stay in 1 room with the amount of people you have going. Even though they accom. 5 + baby it would be way to cramped for me, and I'd go with 2 rooms at POP, unless you can do 2 rooms at POR.

:thumbsup2 This. There is not enough room for 6 people in a POR room. I assume the same cost is one room at POR and two at POP unless there is a discount at POR that is not available at POP. I'm not even sure they would allow you to book with 6, I think the max is 5 from what I remember. Take the two rooms and bathrooms in my opinion.

Have a great trip!

If you are going to do 2 rooms at either resort, I would definitely recommend POR! We have stayed there many times and it is a wonderful setting. The queen beds are a nice plus, along with the double vanities in the bath area. It does have a wonderful food court.

We just find it to be a wonderfully relaxing resort!

If you are trying to choose between 2 rooms at PoP and only 1 room at POR, then I would tell you to get the 2 at PoP. 5 persons in one room at POR is doable (we have done it twice), but it gets crowded quick. With 3 adults, I think it might seem a little cramped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter