Help with Boston Trip

suzdisneyfan

Mouseketeer
We are planning to visit Boston Memorial Day weekend. We will be taking the train from Philly. Can anyone reccomend a good hotel that sleeps 5? We are planning on doing most things in the city, but my husband wants to go to Woodman's for lunch or dinner in Essex, and also wants to go to Hilltop Steakhouse which he saw on the travel channel. I'm assuming we will need to rent a car to get to each of those restaurants?? Although if we didn't have to rent a car, I'd prefer not to drive in the city. Are we better off staying in the city, or outside of it?

I'd skip the Hilltop -- it's amusing to look at from the outside, but it's not the quality restaurant it once was. Certainly not worth renting a car and driving out of the city for.

Woodman's is great, but if you're not familiar with Boston traffic and geography, you really don't want to rent a car in the city and drive here. If you stay outside the city, it's not a bad drive, but again, you might question whether it's worth the time and expense when your time in town is limited. There's no shortage of great seafood in Boston proper.

Sorry to be discouraging, but I'd hate for you to take valuable time from your visit feeling hassled and rushed instead of just hunkering down somewhere and enjoying yourselves in a leisurely way. It's a great walking city -- if you take the train up, no reason you can't walk or take public transportation just about anywhere you want to go.

PA isn't far -- on a future visit, drive up, stay outside of the city, and visit all the outerlying attractions like Lexington and Concord, Salem, Gloucester, Plymouth, etc.

I agree skip Hilltop. Not worth it.
But I would go to woodmans . If you are up for Boston driving it's definitely a neat place to check out. There are lots of antique shops in the area as well and you can do a river cruise from Essex as well.
Farnhams is another awesome place for seafood in Essex. Guy went there on diners drive ins and dives.

Definitely skip the Hilltop! If you are in Essex, the Village is a great restaurant - just down the street from Woodman's.

It would take about 30-45 minutes to drive from the city to Essex. I would make a day trip from this and visit Salem or perhaps Gloucester. The drive on a weekend should be okay - less traffic than a work day. Consider driving on Sunday.

The seafood restaurants in the city are more expensive than outside the city.
Legal Seafood in the city is a thought.

A hotel...hmmm...that's a tough one. There's the Sheraton Boston at the Prudential Center which may offer decent rates...AAA.

I'd say go to Woodman's but don't get the lobster. It's horribly overpriced. You'd be better off going to a grocery store getting a couple of lobsters, they'll steam them for you and picking up some butter and bowls.

Hilltop is nice, I still eat there, their meat is much better than the stuff I've had at chain restaurants (Last week the Longhorn Steakhouse was terrible). You would need a car to go there as well as Woodmans. There are also some lovely places in Ipswich like The Clam Box, Kellys on Revere beach, you could take the blue line there, or a really great off the beaten path place called The Causeway in Gloucester.

I agree with the others who say to skip the Hilltop. I grew up in the shadow of that giant neon cactus sign outside the Hilltop and it is not the place it once was. Growing up you'd see big lines of people waiting to be seated every weekend, not so much anymore. It is fun for the kitsch factor but definitely not worth renting a car or subjecting yourself to driving that particular section of Route 1.

Thank You for all your replies. I guess we won't bother going to Hilltop. Now I'm thinking we may rent a car right from the train station and go to Essex, and hopefully be able to drop the car off in the city close to whatever hotel we stay at that night. Now to look for a hotel with a car rental close by.

Can I butt in? We are heading to Boston in two weeks. Favorite North End restaurant. I will be with my 17 year old son.

We were just talking about the North End at work yesterday. Two people said Pomodoro's was delicious. They both have really good taste.

I've been to Boston for work several times. I usually stay at the Cambridge Hampton Inn and Suites. It's right on the green line, and very convenient while not being slap in the middle of the city. I've used public transport, but have no problem at all driving in this lovely city. It is not your typical city for driving and all the confusion that usually comes with it.

It's a touristy bit, but I always go to Union Oyster House near Quincy Market. It's just plain good, and I love the fact that it's the oldest (longest serving) restaurant. I like that area in general, fun to poke around.

Boston is a beautiful city, made for walking. Do the Freedom Trail. No better way to learn a city than walk, walk, walk!

Use Urban Spoon to check out other dining options. (Avoid Legal Seafood, though. Another hyped place that doesn't deliver).

I disagree that Hilltop is a place to stay away from! Their Prime rib is very good and reasonably priced! So are their steak tips. Go! I would however,stay clear of Woodman's. wicked overpriced. Instead,right down the road is a little place called Farnham's. GREAT clams,scollaps and shrimp!!

If it were me I would stay at the Omni Parker House https://www.omnihotels.com/ You can get an executive room there which has 2 double beds and a pull out couch in the $250 range.
It is right across from the Park Street T which will connect you to just about anywhere you want to go. It is a great place to stay and you can walk anywhere it is centrally located across from the Boston Common/Flower Garden , next to Fanueil Hall, Downtown Shopping District/Macy's etc., Newbury Street which has lots of restaurants and shops, Prudential Center/Mall , Eat lunch in Chinatown, I'll send you our favorite restaurant there for an inexpensive authentic meal , Charles Street resturants and shops, museum of science, north end restaurants and bakeries, aquarium. You can take the T over to Cambridge in about 10 minutes and walk around Harvard square. Check out the chocolate buffet at the Langham hotel on Saturdays,...yummy we just went over the holidays so much fun. http://boston.langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm

Can you tell I love Boston? I grew up in South Boston and have gone back at east once a week, sometimes multiple trips each week to meet with friends and family. I don't think you need to rent a car to go anywhere, there is so much to do there. I could go on and on....Enjoy Boston!!!!!!!!

I've been to Boston for work several times. I usually stay at the Cambridge Hampton Inn and Suites. It's right on the green line, and very convenient while not being slap in the middle of the city. I've used public transport, but have no problem at all driving in this lovely city. It is not your typical city for driving and all the confusion that usually comes with it.

It's a touristy bit, but I always go to Union Oyster House near Quincy Market. It's just plain good, and I love the fact that it's the oldest (longest serving) restaurant. I like that area in general, fun to poke around.

Boston is a beautiful city, made for walking. Do the Freedom Trail. No better way to learn a city than walk, walk, walk!

Use Urban Spoon to check out other dining options. (Avoid Legal Seafood, though. Another hyped place that doesn't deliver).

I second the Union Oyster House! We went there this past summer and the food was good.

We also ate at Giacomo's and the food wasn't as good as it was years ago.

If it were me I would stay at the Omni Parker House https://www.omnihotels.com/ You can get an executive room there which has 2 double beds and a pull out couch in the $250 range.
It is right across from the Park Street T which will connect you to just about anywhere you want to go. It is a great place to stay and you can walk anywhere it is centrally located across from the Boston Common/Flower Garden , next to Fanueil Hall, Downtown Shopping District/Macy's etc., Newbury Street which has lots of restaurants and shops, Prudential Center/Mall , Eat lunch in Chinatown, I'll send you our favorite restaurant there for an inexpensive authentic meal , Charles Street resturants and shops, museum of science, north end restaurants and bakeries, aquarium. You can take the T over to Cambridge in about 10 minutes and walk around Harvard square. Check out the chocolate buffet at the Langham hotel on Saturdays,...yummy we just went over the holidays so much fun. http://boston.langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm

Can you tell I love Boston? I grew up in South Boston and have gone back at east once a week, sometimes multiple trips each week to meet with friends and family. I don't think you need to rent a car to go anywhere, there is so much to do there. I could go on and on....Enjoy Boston!!!!!!!!

I agree with Parker House and SKIP HILLTOP it used to be a gem but now it is a dud. It is horrible.

OOH good to read that's where we are staying! I got a cheap rate online - guaranteed 2 beds(which seems to be an issue here for online booking)I can't wait for my chocolate cream pie!

The Parker House is a great location for walking the Freedom Trail and for having access to public transportation to other parts of the city. You should have a really easy time getting around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter