Help with an Ontario Vacation

Narnia_girl

He's not a tame lion, but he is good.
We are Mom, Dad, Son (21) and Daughter (15)

Day 1:
We live in Illinois and are planning to cross the border/spend the night in Sarnia. Anything there we should make it point to see?

Days 2-3:
Bruce Peninsula. It looks so beautiful. I'm sure we will hike the Bruce Trail some, try to reach the Grotto, visit the swim beach and possibly take a boat tour. Any must do's? Or restaurant suggestions. The cottages in this area won't rent for less than a week so we have to stay at a family-owned motel.

Day 4:
Leave Bruce and drive to Ontario. Possibly stay at Burlington Holiday Inn (free with points). We want to visit Toronto Islands and teen daughter insists on Eaton Centre (evening). I'd like to visit ROM, but not sure if that will happen. Kids have no interest in CN Tower.
Mostly concerned about transportation/parking at the Toronto venues. Can we take a metro train or subway from Burlington? Should we?

Day 5:
Leave Burlington and drive to Niagara on the Lake and Niagara Falls. I'm tempted to visit Hamilton as I see it has so many waterfalls, but wondering if that's a worthy stop?
Getting the Adventure Pass at Niagara.
We are staying at Holiday Inn in St. Catharine's.

Day 6:
Niagara Falls area

Day 7:
Start drive home, possibly stay in London (or at least pass through there).

I would love any suggestions on getting around, restaurants, what to avoid, etc.... We are mostly interested in nature and outdoors on this trip. I tell the kids that sometimes we take vacations to man-made sites (Disney World) and sometimes we vacation in God-made places (nature). Of course, Niagara is the ultimate merging of those two!

thanks!

Day 1:
We live in Illinois and are planning to cross the border/spend the night in Sarnia. Anything there we should make it point to see?

Days 2-3:
Bruce Peninsula. It looks so beautiful. I'm sure we will hike the Bruce Trail some, try to reach the Grotto, visit the swim beach and possibly take a boat tour. Any must do's? Or restaurant suggestions. The cottages in this area won't rent for less than a week so we have to stay at a family-owned motel.

Day 4:
Leave Bruce and drive to Ontario. Possibly stay at Burlington Holiday Inn (free with points). We want to visit Toronto Islands and teen daughter insists on Eaton Centre (evening). I'd like to visit ROM, but not sure if that will happen. Kids have no interest in CN Tower.
Mostly concerned about transportation/parking at the Toronto venues. Can we take a metro train or subway from Burlington? Should we?

Day 5:
Leave Burlington and drive to Niagara on the Lake and Niagara Falls. I'm tempted to visit Hamilton as I see it has so many waterfalls, but wondering if that's a worthy stop?

Day 6:
Niagara Falls area

Day 7:

I would love any suggestions on getting around, restaurants, what to avoid, etc.... We are mostly interested in nature and outdoors on this trip. I tell the kids that sometimes we take vacations to man-made sites (Disney World) and sometimes we vacation in God-made places (nature). Of course, Niagara is the ultimate merging of those two!

thanks!
When u are in Bruce you are in Ontario. And if you want nature come to where I am!! On the Bruce penninsula you will come to Tobermory. There is a fine ferry there called the Chi chee maun come across on the 2 hour car ferry. And come to Manitoulin Island. It is called God's country for a reason. There is beautiful towns, villages. A brand new hotel in the Port of Little Current. There is a nice cabin/campground not far from the ferry called Gordons park. They have nightly cabin rentals, pool, mini putt. It is also a dark sky preserve and have night star gazing parties. Kagawong has a beautiful waterfall, Manitoulin chocolate works. You can hike the cup & saucer trail on the Niagara Escarpement.
You can leave the Island via the ferry you came on or cross the swing bridge in little current. It swings open every hour on the hour to let boat traffic through.
It is really a great place to visit. We dont have Timmie's, McDonalds, or anything like that. But we live in the largest freshwater island within an Island. Plus your on an Island ;)

I have a few of suggestions for you for your Sarnia stay.

1) The Hampton Inn has just opened a new hotel by the Bluewater Bridge. It is really nice and comes with hot breakfast in the morning.
2) Do not leave Sarnia without a visit for French Fries at Albert's, 99 Michigan Avenue in Point Edward which is a very short drive from the hotel. Albert was the original chip truck under the bridge but has since opened a brick and mortar place at the above address. You will enjoy fries like you've never had before. Link: http://www.villageofpointedward.com/business-directory/alberts-rolling-lunch
3) Park under the bridge (just down the road from Albert's), eat your fires and watch the freighters, yachts and recreational boats go from the river to the lake and visa versa.
4) ENJOY YOUR STAY WHILE IN CANADA.

~ David

When u are in Bruce you are in Ontario. And if you want nature come to where I am!! On the Bruce penninsula you will come to Tobermory. There is a fine ferry there called the Chi chee maun come across on the 2 hour car ferry. And come to Manitoulin Island. It is called God's country for a reason. There is beautiful towns, villages. A brand new hotel in the Port of Little Current. There is a nice cabin/campground not far from the ferry called Gordons park. They have nightly cabin rentals, pool, mini putt. It is also a dark sky preserve and have night star gazing parties. Kagawong has a beautiful waterfall, Manitoulin chocolate works. You can hike the cup & saucer trail on the Niagara Escarpement.
You can leave the Island via the ferry you came on or cross the swing bridge in little current. It swings open every hour on the hour to let boat traffic through.
It is really a great place to visit. We dont have Timmie's, McDonalds, or anything like that. But we live in the largest freshwater island within an Island. Plus your on an Island ;)

Thanks for the great suggestions. Our original plans were to go through Sault Ste. Marie down to Manitoulin Island and use the ferry to cross to Tobermory. We've since changed that simply because driving so far north (to SSMarie) is an extra day and a lot of extra money. That cut out our plans to visit Manitoulin as we are approaching
Bruce Peninsula from the south. But if I'm understanding you, when we get to Tobermory, we should add plans to cross to Manitoulin?

I have a few of suggestions for you for your Sarnia stay.

1) The Hampton Inn has just opened a new hotel by the Bluewater Bridge. It is really nice and comes with hot breakfast in the morning.
2) Do not leave Sarnia without a visit for French Fries at Albert's, 99 Michigan Avenue in Point Edward which is a very short drive from the hotel. Albert was the original chip truck under the bridge but has since opened a brick and mortar place at the above address. You will enjoy fries like you've never had before. Link: http://www.villageofpointedward.com/business-directory/alberts-rolling-lunch
3) Park under the bridge (just down the road from Albert's), eat your fires and watch the freighters, yachts and recreational boats go from the river to the lake and visa versa.
4) ENJOY YOUR STAY WHILE IN CANADA.

~ David

Great idea--our kids love French Fries! Thanks!

What are your dates that you are expecting to be in London? That's where I live and we are known for our festivals. There is a good chance that something will be happening when you come through.

That sounds like a great holiday!

When in Sarnia I also agree to have fried under the bridge. It's a favourite Sarnia past time!

My advice would be to drive to Hamilton from the Bruce, and then take the Go Train into Toronto and do your sight seeing. You don't have to worry about parking, and Toronto traffic. Then when you take the Go Train back to your car, you are in Hamilton and within an hour of Niagara on the Lake and the Falls. If you are staying the night in Toronto, you could also just drive to a downtown hotel and park your car there and walk everywhere.

On your way to Niagara on the lake a stop at the Wellend Canal might be of interest as well.

Day 1:

Days 2-3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Day 6:
Niagara Falls area

Day 7:

thanks!
Well good choice for coming North, Your dollar will get you far. You don't say when your coming and that has a lot to do with what can be done in and around Toronto. You also have a lot of things that you want to do in a short time, with a lot of KM (miles) to drive.
I will agree with the others that Tob and the Mant. Isl. are nice, but that will take more time than you think. You will be driving for longer than you will be seeing the sites.
The drive from Bruce to Burlington is 3 hours alone, if not longer for traffic.If you go up North and to the Island its even longer.
With 4 people I would take the car into the city, the parking is going to run you about the same at the green P parking as the trains would. The ROM is/can be a day by itself. The Toronto Islands you ferry over to and back, that can be 1/2 day by itself. I love it over there, but your short time here you might want to see other stuff.
If the Men are into hockey there is the Hockey Hall of Fame, which is not far from Eaton Center, and if you wanted to split up that is possible.
You can then at the end of the night drive right to Niagara (approx. 1 1/2hour) so maybe 40 mins from Burlington.
In Niagara with the ages I would highly recommend the jet boats up the river. Since you like the country there are loads of vineyards around to go and visit have tours, lunch or dinner. This trip I would skip Hamilton.
Just my 2 cents, but have a blast.

Just an FYI - the ROM closes at 5:30 daily except on Fridays, when it closes at 8:30 and has discount pricing after 4:30.

Eaton Centre is tbh not really that special anymore so I have a better suggestion. If you and your son go to the ROM your wife and daughter can explore Yorkville which is right by the museum. The Bloor St area east of the ROM is vaguely Mag Mile-like, and just north is Yorkville with small shops, restaurants et al. It is also a nice place to have dinner or just some coffee.

For travel a day pass on the TTC costs $12 which is the equivalent of 4 tokens. However if you are in Toronto on the weekend it is good for 2 adults and kids under 18.

Hi,

First, enjoy!

A few suggestions.

Could you not use airbnb to grab a few days in the Bruce?

Yes, you can take the GO train from Burlington. It's easy and straightforward.

But are you tied to that hotel in Burlington? You can use your points at other places, correct?

Once you are finished with the other areas in the Bruce Peninsula, you might want to consider going over to Collingwood and doing some activities in that area - in town or around Blue Mountain. Or around Georgian Bay.

My suggestion here is to drive down towards Toronto along Airport Road. It's a beautiful drive. Nothing like the Bruce, but nice nonetheless.

For Toronto -

If you can fit it in the day time your daughter might enjoy Queen Street West shopping more than the Eaton Centre. It's outdoor street shopping, but popular.

http://www.seetorontonow.com/shopping/shopping-in-queen-west-the-hippest-of-the-haute/

Since you love the natural environment - The Beach/The Beaches neighbourhood (east of downtown) has shopping and the beach (with beach volleyball etc) and a boardwalk and is a beautiful walk.

http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/neighbourhoods/east-end/the-beach

I might consider an airbnb for this night, right in Toronto.

You might enjoy the Distillery District.

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Or the Bata Shoe Museum is popular, since you mentioned the ROM.

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/

For the Toronto Islands - you can take any ferry - there are three destinations - Wards, Centre and Hanlon's Point - one can walk or bike from one drop off to another. If someone in your party hates walking, don't get off at anything but Centre, but Ward's especially is truly a beautiful walk over. Bike rentals and those family bike cars a la WDW's Boardwalk are popular, but the stand is on Centre Island.

http://www.torontoislandbicyclerental.com/

You could rent bikes in the city and then you can take any one of the ferries and have your bike to explore the entire island, if one of your party complains on a long walk.

http://wheelexcitement.ca/
Queen's Quay has a designated bike lane all the way to the ferry docks. Might be the best choice if you all enjoy biking.

(Also, in the city we have a network of bike rentals taken out by machine - for shorter jaunts - and dropped off at any other station. https://www.bikesharetoronto.com/pricing .)

Everyone lines up for Centre. But Ward's Island is a nice break and you can see all the private homes. And the Ward's Island usually goes and picks up at Hanlon's too. So you get a nice viewpoint. There is a lovely café along the back boardwalk between Ward's and Centre. A lot of people have no clue it's there. And it backs onto the boardwalk. It's lovely to take a rest. Also, I find that the island is often 10 degrees cooler than the city. So even on a wickedly hot day, take a sweater. And if you get to Centre, don't miss Far Enough Farm. Please don't. I find it quaint. It's at the back of Centreville.

Also, when there are massive line ups for the ferry - have one member of your party walk past all the lines - walk past the ticket booths and to the right there is a small ticket booth right at the entrance that few people know about. It really is past through all the other ticket booths, hidden to the right. I often go back out to the massive lines and tell people - COME! Laughing. You will feel like you have a big secret!

Also, no one pays for the way back on the ferry. Meaning it's one ticket. This means you can choose to take a private ferry over too and take the regular ferry back for free. Or private both ways.

And you can go over late afternoon and stay late. The last ferry in the summer runs around midnight. Maybe you'll hit the Indian Festival where they will give you a meal for free! Not joking.

Sorry back to the private ferries over the island. There are a few of them. One is near the foot of Spadina (make sure it has not gone out of business) . And some other ones are near the Queen's Quay Terminal (not where the ferry is but west of it - it's like a tiny shopping mall). These private ferries are not a heck of lot more expensive. I've never taken one, the regular ferry is nostalgic for me, but you have limited time.

Food - I love Korean Grill House on Queen West. The kids might love it as you cook at your own table. It's a nice experience, nice memory. I hate buffets, but most order the all you can eat only to get a good selection of meat to grill (there are vegetarian options if needed). If it's Thursday, Friday or Saturday phone in for a reservation. And walk right past the line. I think it would be a lovely family experience.

Airbnb - there are many great locations. Feel free to PM me if you decide on this change.

Obviously you can't fit in all this - but just some ideas

For Niagara -

I would skip staying St. Catherines and stay in Niagara-on-the Lake if you can use your points there. The town is beautiful and there is outlet shopping for your daughter, right at the QEW and the turn off to Niagara-On-The- Lake.

And River Road between Niagara Falls and Niagara-On-The-Lake is a beautiful drive. The Butterfly Conservatory sits on that drive.

But St. Catherines is doable for both.

However, Niagara Falls asks for a mortgage for parking (and for food) so in the summer there is some kind of shuttle from Niagara-On-The Lake to Niagara Falls, hence my suggestion to change to there instead.

Scroll down to the map. The extension to Niagara-On-The-Lake might only be on the weekend. Do check that.

https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/services/transportation/wego/

Since you have so much on your plate, yes I would skip Hamilton.

On the way home - I have not been but since you love the outdoors - what about taking the ferry to Pelee Island and going back to the States that way. I would love to go there one day. Crosses at Leamington, ON and Sandusky, OH.

Seems like a nature lover's paradise. http://www.pelee.org/

Or you could simply cross at Fort Erie/Buffalo and go home along the 90 instead of going back up to the 401. Since you're in Niagara already. It's boring but it's not like the 401 is a boatload of entertainment!! But maybe you're in northern Illinois since you were considering crossing at Sault Ste. Marie when first planning.

And my apologies for trying to change all your overnight plans! :rotfl2:And driving routes. There is just nothing I love more than a road trip.

Last edited:
If you would like to go sightseeing, I suggest a 4 or 5 hour drive from Bruce Peninsula to Sundridge, on Lake Bernard. Lake Bernard is the largest lake in the world without an island. It is a beautiful drive through the Almaguin Highlands, and part of the Canadian Shield. If you choose to drive up High Rock road, there is a scenic lookout with hiking trails and views of the beautiful lake. I'm not sure what your price range is but you might enjoy Northridge Inn, across the lake from Sundridge . If you prefer something a little more rustic, Lake Bernard Park is on the shores of Lake Bernard too, and there are trailers you can rent. There is a nature trail there that is miles long. From Sundridge to Toronto is 175 miles so you can be in the city in about 2 1/2 or 3 hours.

I live in Burlington and there are some great things in Burlington to see too. We have a native village North of burlington called Crawford Lake, they have one of the deepest lakes in Ontario there and there is a old folk tale that there is a sea monster in it. We also have The Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, a fantastic provincial park called Bronte park that has lots of great early history of Canadian settlers.
Burlington is very much a commuter town, so traffic can be something during commuting hours. The highways can be congested, however during the summer they are better and they we also have commuter lanes that make it easier to get around.

Some great restaurants also in the downtown core, Water street cooker is a bit upscale but wonderful and downstairs from it is Emma's back porch, it has a great patio that sits out on Lake Ontario, more bar food but has become more of a family place in the last few years.

I know you are just staying overnight in Sarnia, but here is our new tourism video that just came out and it even shows fries under the bridge as already mentioned :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter