Help With 2 Restaurants

CT Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi There!

We are WDW vets visiting DL for the first time in 2 weeks. In an attempt to be a little more laid-back in my planning style than I am at WDW, I have only made 2 ADRs.

First off, we wanted a nice sit-down dinner with a fancier-type menu that our two kids would also enjoy. We chose Steakhouse 55. We considered the menu at Napa Rose but the dinner choices didn't look as pre-teen / teen friendly.

We also wanted a nice breakfast buffet for our departure morning. We picked Storyteller's Cafe as it's right in our hotel.

What do you think of these choices? Any reviews for me?

It feels so weird because we know just about every restaurant at WDW by heart. When we visit WDW it's just a matter of picking which ones we feel like going to again. I've forgotten what it's like to start out with a long list of restaurants that I've never been to (or even heard of!) But...it is giving me a fresh appreciation for those first time Disney visitors!

You have made some good choices.
As far as character breakfasts go, I prefer the Surf's Up at Paradise Pier for the character interaction. Although it is convenient to attend the one in the hotel you are staying at.
Steakhouse 55 is wonderful. I just wanted to point out that you may want to consider Blue Bayou (since it is in the POTC ride). If you want to see Fantasmic, you could consider dining there for the premium viewing FP.

I would put a 3rd on your list for breakfast, Carnation Cafe in DL. It's where Walt ate every morning and the gentleman that made breakfast for Walt is still working. It's so special to meet and talk with him. I am not positive on which days he works (maybe someone here knows?) but we ate there a couple weeks ago and he was working that morning. I'd make an ADR for it simply because you can and it's always good to avoid a wait. I think any Disney fan should put Carnation Cafe on their must do list, but maybe that's just me

We ate at several places on our trip but the 2 you mention are 2 we didn't choose so no reviews for you on those.

I like your choices. I have eaten at Steakhouse 55 with children/teens before and they seemed to enjoy it. In addition Storyteller's Café for their breakfast buffet is my favorite. As the previous poster mentioned Blue Bayou is also a great option especially if you do the show and dining package.

I would give 2 thumbs up for your choices.

I would however highly recommend Blue Bayou for your sit down meal. There really is no comparable experience at WDW. Eating in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is very unique, the ambiance is amazing and (you will get different opinions on this point) I think the food is very good, to the point of having some of the best steak dinners I have ever had. The price point is comparable as well to Steakhouse 55. We always have one meal at BB every trip.

As for your breakfast choice Storytellers has a very good breakfast buffet and we thought the character interactions very excellent as well. Girrimama is spot on that Surf's up in Paradise Piers is very good as well, IMO though the buffet is not quite as good as Storytellers (but still good) and we thought the character interactions were on par with our experience at Storytellers. Don't think you can go wrong at either place.

Enjoy.

I would put a 3rd on your list for breakfast, Carnation Cafe in DL. It's where Walt ate every morning and the gentleman that made breakfast for Walt is still working. It's so special to meet and talk with him. I am not positive on which days he works (maybe someone here knows?) but we ate there a couple weeks ago and he was working that morning. I'd make an ADR for it simply because you can and it's always good to avoid a wait. I think any Disney fan should put Carnation Cafe on their must do list, but maybe that's just me

We ate at several places on our trip but the 2 you mention are 2 we didn't choose so no reviews for you on those.

Wow...this sounds like an incredible experience. Anyone know the gentleman's name and when he works? I think I would LOVE that!! I'm going to have a look-see at Carnation Cafe right now...

I'm also going to see what I can do about a Blue Bayou reservation since it seems like it's highly recommended as well!

Thanks all!!

Wow...this sounds like an incredible experience. Anyone know the gentleman's name and when he works? I think I would LOVE that!! I'm going to have a look-see at Carnation Cafe right now...

I'm also going to see what I can do about a Blue Bayou reservation since it seems like it's highly recommended as well!

Thanks all!!
His name is Oscar Martinez (I believe that is the last name, it's hard to read his handwriting)
We ate at about 10:30 on Monday, if that gives any clues on when he works

And I do concur about Blue Bayou. We did the F! dining package and it was really good. Great views of F! too (and you can stay right there to watch fireworks too).
The dining experience itself is pretty similar to San Angel at Epcot (which is inside where the Mexico boat ride goes by). Both are seating near the water and indoors but designed to appear as if you are eating outdoors

The dining experience itself is pretty similar to San Angel at Epcot (which is inside where the Mexico boat ride goes by). Both are seating near the water and indoors but designed to appear as if you are eating outdoors

Tip of the hat to you AngiTN, I forgot about San Angel. I would IMO say that BB is Far superior in ambiance, San Angel is much louder inside which lessens the mood for me.

Tip of the hat to you AngiTN, I forgot about San Angel. I would IMO say that BB is Far superior in ambiance, San Angel is much louder inside which lessens the mood for me.
Yes, BB is much better all the way around than San Angel (which I only recalled because we ate there about 2 weeks before eating at BB)

Cute story, but it takes huge poetic license.

Walt ate breakfast far more times at Paty's in Toulca Lake than he ever did in the Carnation Cafe. Walt lived in Holmby Hills and worked in Burbank. He didn't drive 50 miles one way for breakfast and then turn around and head back to Burbank.

Oscar Martinez (the cast member's name) didn't start cooking at Carnation Cafe until 1967 (he started in the park in 1958 as a busboy at a defunct restaurant) and Walt passed away in 1966. Oscar says he never actually spoke to Walt because he was too shy, but he'd see him on Main Street on days he was in the park.

All that being said, Oscar is a treasure, he has been in the park 57 years now and has a dish named for him at Carnation.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-cookin-at-disneyland-park-and-still-cookin/

Cute story, but it takes huge poetic license.

Walt ate breakfast far more times at Paty's in Toulca Lake than he ever did in the Carnation Cafe. Walt lived in Holmby Hills and worked in Burbank. He didn't drive 50 miles one way for breakfast and then turn around and head back to Burbank.

Oscar Martinez (the cast member's name) didn't start cooking at Carnation Cafe until 1967 (he started in the park in 1958 as a busboy at a defunct restaurant) and Walt passed away in 1966. Oscar says he never actually spoke to Walt because he was too shy, but he'd see him on Main Street on days he was in the park.

All that being said, Oscar is a treasure, he has been in the park 57 years now and has a dish named for him at Carnation.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-cookin-at-disneyland-park-and-still-cookin/
Sorry. Passed along the story that was told to me when I was planning our trip. Guess I got "duped" too ;)

Thumbs up on your choices! Storytellers is one of our favorite spots for not only breakfast but a quiet dinner too. I second shooting for Blue Bayou particularly when paired with VIP seating for Fantasmic! Also worth mentioning is Carthay Circle for lunch or dinner particularly for their World of Color dining package - great VIP seating area for the show. Plus the restaurant is truly old Hollywood and not something you'll find at WDW. Gorgeous décor, fabulous black and white photos, divine martinis and great food. Have fun!

Agree, Storytellers is our favorite breakfast buffet. We have not eaten at Steak House 55, but have heard good things about it. I can recommend Carthay Cirlce at DCA...as Calilou mention it is right out of old Hollywood and the food is fantastic. Whatever you choose, enjoy!:yay:

I'm like yourself, much more knowledgeable about WDW and all its restaurants. I do know Blue Bayou though. I am going to DL in July. First thing I did 60 days out (weird not doing it 180) was make a res for BB. I know there have been not so fantastic reviews but you cannot beat the atmosphere. First of all be sure you go on Pirates during your stay. Better than WDW. And you float right past the diners and they can see the boats in a bayou. I lived in Baton Rouge for a bit and fished in Blood Bayou and believe me BB takes me right there. And you can not beat being in the BB while it is hot, crowded and sunny. An hour of relief much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter