HELP !!! Why Can't There Be More Moderate Choices?????

I didn't find the CSR crowded... I went 1st week of Dec., during Pop Warner. Saw absolutely no participants. Also didn't find it so large you couldn't get around. I stayed in Casitas 5, which is SUPPOSED to be an inconvenient location, and could not for the life of me figure out what was so inconvenient about it. I was near a bus stop (the bus system for this resort is the best I've encountered so far), and the walk to both the Dig Site and El Centro, although not very short, was no worse than what I've encountered at any other resort. And, I saw very very few "conventioneers".

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest giving it a go.

Another suggestion for the Swan or Dolphin.

*Great* location, (walking distance to Epcot and DHS..) beautiful hotels, wonderful restaurants and a great staff.

If you hunt online, you can get some great rates, too. IMHO, *much* better places to stay than any of the Mod's.

I have to chime in for CSR also!! We also stayed in Casitas 5 and loved it. We didn't see many convention goers and the busses were SO, SO empty, as was the pool. More people in conventions, less people on the busses, in the pools and at the parks! And it certainly seemed, esp. at MK, that there was always a CSR bus there, while there were long lines for other resorts.

The only reason we are not staying there this year, is that I really wanted to try AKL!

I've also stayed at 3 of the 4 - CBR, POR, POFQ. I've also dined at CSR...

My personal choice is POFQ. It's smaller than the other resorts and the theming is great. A huge factor for me in deciding resorts is transportation times. Two trips ago DH and I stayed at POR - we were picked up first on the way to the parks, and dropped off last on the way back to the resorts, POFQ was opposite. That means staying at POFQ equals less time on the bus.

I would try CSR during a future trip though. I personally enjoy the Pepper Market - yummy food the times I have been there!

I agree with CSR, it's our favorite of the mods. It has the absolute best bus service of any resort. We have stayed at POR and like it also, CBR has been our least favorite. The Swan and Dolphin are awesome if you can get the teacher or nurse rate and don't need the DME or the DDP. Another great option is to rent points from a DVC member, you get a deluxe resort for the price of a moderate, even less sometimes.

It seems as though quite a few of you like Coronado Springs.....
Hearing comments from those of you who have actually stayed at the other moderates really helps.
I'd have to see how much of a price increase to jump to AKL or Wilderness Lodge.
I have stayed in a Cabin before at Fort Wilderness, that was quite nice, but wouldn't need that this trip around and the main pool is plain and boring.
I'm still not sold on Caribbean Beach...need more research I guess.....

Of course if the cost didn't matter, I would love to stay at the Poly !:beach: pixiedust:

I'm a CBR fan. Stayed there my very first Disney trip and LOVED it. There's just something about the tropical theming and white sand that makes me think, "ahh, vacation." If I ever go back with just the dh or just the kids I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

We tried a value for a next trip and felt horribly cramped. Missed the space at the CBR terribly.

Currently, we stay deluxe. (Disney had to move use from our mod, and since then I've been hooked--those DIsney folks are very clever.) I agree with posters who've suggested AKL or WL. Their rooms are cheaper to begin with. If you can find a code, the prices can be quite comparable to a mod. My AKL trip, for example, made use of a code for $80 per night off the cost of a Deluxe. So, starting with a rack rate of $199 for a standard view in AKL, I ended up paying $119 a night.

We have stayed at POR, CBR, and CSR. POR is my favorite, but CBR was nicely done with the nooks and theming. The island was a lot of fun to explore. We were in Trinidad South which was way out. If we were to go again to CBR, I would request something closer to the main building. The bus stop was close, however.

There were a couple of conventions running when we stayed at CSR. They never bothered us. We were in Casitas 4, which was the perfect place to stay, IMO. It was close to the bus stop, and the walk through the courtyards and fountains and flowers to the main building was beautiful. It was very relaxing. And the quiet pool was right there. It is a hike to the dig site, which was the only drawback, but not for us. The food court is very nicely done here too, and the buses run constantly running so there was never a long wait for a bus (except for DTD).

I think that all of the moderates are nice, they are all different and have their good points as well as some things you may not like, but sometimes it depends on what you like.

Give CSR a try. I think you'd love the Casitas section for the theming. We fell in love with it.

Why not try WL or AKL - they are deluxes but they are priced just a bit more than the moderates.

I agree with cindysmom......give WL or AKL a try. We've never stayed at AKL, but we LOVE WL (after our first choice...the Poly :goodvibes). It will be a little more money than the mods, but not as much as it would be to go up to any deluxes on the monorail or in the Epcot area. WL and AKL are the cheapest of the deluxes :).

I was going to suggest the same thing. I stayed at AKL in Dec for $149/night. The last 2 nights were in the "holiday" pricing time, so it went to $164, but still reasonable for that hotel.

Next week, I'm payiing $207/night including the tax, so what its that, about $185-ish per night?

These were both for standard rooms, which were upgraded (free) to savannah view rooms when we arrived (but don't rely on that happening all the time)

Disney deluxe resorts are priced where they are based on their prime locations, not based on the level of service they offer.

Yes and no. AKL really isn't considered a "prime" location, but it does have amenities/recreation not available anywhere else. But Poly, GF and Contemporary, being on the monorail and proximity to MK are definitely factored into the price.

When we used to stay moderate we loved CBR. The grounds are beautiful, rooms large, and pools are very nice. If we had to do mod again that is where we would stay. I don't like the themeing of the other mods.

I agree with heatherlynn444. The Disney Vacation Club villas offer you more alternatives and they can be fairly reasonable if you “rent” an owner’s points. There is a board on this site for renting DVC points. I should say that I have never done this but from what I’ve read, it seems as though many people have and that things usually seem to work out okay. The points “sell” for around $10 each and for example, a studio (read that to mean a “deluxe hotel” room with a microwave and a small refrigerator) at either the Beach Club, the Boardwalk, or the Wilderness Lodge cost 14 points per night from Sunday through Thursday nights. And this cost has no room tax associated with it. The down side is you get no maid service. The three other DVC resorts on property (the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs) are about the same price. That give you six more choices to consider.

I have stayed at CBR and POFQ. I really liked both of them. POFQ is charming, compact and lovely. The grounds are pretty, there are carriage rides in the evening and a little jazz club. CBR is a bit more robust. While it is larger and more spread out, I did not find it overwhelming. I did book a preferred location but did not hear any complaints about the internal bus system. The staff was very friendly, the food court large and clean, and the grounds were stunning. There are beaches to relax on and little chairs and tables set up in the courtyards.

My DD and DSIL were not as happy with CBR as I was. They compared it to the Poly which is not a fair comparison. Transportation was fine, but it was not the monorail. I agree with others who suggest that you try AKL or WL if you really do not want a moderate. AKL is beautiful will plenty to do right at the resort.

We love POFQ and CSR. Have not had a chance to stay at the other two (yet). But I agree it would be nice to have a few more choices. We are trying WL this next trip but I do prefer to save my extra $$$ to spend on my wants, needs, and desires while I am there instead of my room. Just my personal opinion and I am really looking forward to WL at Christmas. It just seems to have that warm, cozy appearance.

How do you get these "codes" for discounts at WL ???

I just want to make the perfect/right choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter