Help! Where is this MK picture from?

MrInfinity

DIS Veteran
We have this pic from when I was little... Castle up close, Contemporary in the background, and looking over the tops of these Fantasyland buildings. Where did we get this angle? It's from 1983...

Is it on the Riverboat? Or Thunder Mountain? Or was there somewhere else to get an elevated view like this??

Thanks!! :goodvibes

1983view.jpg

Is that maybe from the Sky buckets? It went from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland across from Peter Pan

YES! You're right. :) Just pulled up a youtube video on the path it took and that is precisely it. Over PP, looking down-left at Small World, but would line up the Castle and the Contemporary nicely like this. :thumbsup2

That's a pretty neat picture though! Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

I love seeing different things of Disney World past. DH's Grandma found old tickets and told us they were from the 1970s. We were so excited to see them!!! When we got there we were bummed because it turned out they were from 1993 :lmao: Still neat but not what we were expecting since we had some 90's tickets of our own. lol

Yes, that's the Skyway. For a long time you could still see the footings along its path, when they took out the supports and paved over the places they'd stood. I think even those are gone now.

Great picture:thumbsup2 Wish they could bring that back.

Since they are running out of room to build "out" in the MK, maybe they'll consider building "up" again. I'm sorry I never got a chance to experience that attraction.

Since they are running out of room to build "out" in the MK, maybe they'll consider building "up" again. I'm sorry I never got a chance to experience that attraction.

I got to ride it back in the day, but I don't remember it all that distinctly because every amusement park had one. I think I had ridden the Sky Buckets at Six Flags half a dozen times by the time I got to go to Magic Kingdom around 1974.

I got to ride it back in the day, but I don't remember it all that distinctly because every amusement park had one. I think I had ridden the Sky Buckets at Six Flags half a dozen times by the time I got to go to Magic Kingdom around 1974.

I wouldn't care about it anywhere else. I'd just like to photograph the park from that perspective.

I loved this ride. I remember going in 1999 for the millennium and being so disappointed it was closed. But it had a few safety incidents, including a fatal one, and it was not a surprise. It was often down for weather as well. But it was great while it was there. Now I want to go find some of my old skyway pics!

I'm a Florida native and grew up in the parks, and remember riding the SkyWay all the time. I remember being able to look down at all the souviners people had dropped down onto the top of Small World and stuff. Hats and stuffed animals and sunglasses. LOL! I always hated the take off point in tomorrowland. That steep incline always freaked me out as a kid. It was far less scary to take off from Fantasyland (which is now the Rapunzel Tower area.) Riding over the old 20,000 Leagues was cool, too. The skyway was like the People Mover is now. A good ride to do when your feet hurt, and it was a bit like the train, a way to get you from point A to point B without walking. :thumbsup2

Fuzzylogic, There's a thread on the Theme Parks Community board for old WDW photos. You should post that on there. It deserves a spot on that thread :thumbsup2

I'm glad OP posted this particular shot from the Skyway. Disney seemed to always keep the realty of his parks (any-old rectangular bldgs) carefully hidden, with secret entry doors and the utilidor underground system, etc. But I remember thinking, while riding the Skyway, that here was a place where reality was exposed. Nothing was done to hide the plain-old roofs. And you could see how the fantastical fronts of buildings were just so much painted plastic, metal and wood. I remember my trips on the Skyway well. Favorite part was over 20,000 Leagues, and the charming Swiss Chalet station in Fantasyland. Every time I passed the Chalet since Skyway closed, it brought up happy memories. Sorry they finally took it down.

Fuzzylogic, There's a thread on the Theme Parks Community board for old WDW photos. You should post that on there. It deserves a spot on that thread :thumbsup2

Thanks! :) I like it even more now that it's from a ride that's no longer there!

BTW neither me nor my wife won the "discussion" on where the pic was from.

Here's another gem we came across, not just a ride that's no longer there but an entire park...

rivercountry.jpg

About 5 yrs old, at River Country. I love the break in the RC water that looks out over the Bay Lake as if it's all connected... and the CR in the background...

Loved the Skyway! It was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I felt the take off points were exhilarating. It really was like we were flying! Strange that as a kid, I never really noticed the ugly tops of buildings. It's surprising that Disney didn't do something to lessen the view of the building roofs and such; I guess there wasn't much they could do.

I never did the Skyway at WDW, but we always did the Skyway at DLR. We would be there when they opened, and move quick to the Skyway to go to the back of the resort. Then we and a few others pretty much had empty lines working from back to front while everyone else was working from front to back. Or at least that's the way I remember it -- this was 45 - 50 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter