Help- we're going in a week and........

TracyK

DIS Veteran
my DS aged 12 has just been exposed to chicken pox. He's never had it although he has been exposed several times. Earlier this week I visited my friend and my son Stevie was playing with her grandson all afternoon. She's just phoned to say that he's got chicken pox. From what I've read the incubation period is 10-21 days. If Stevie has got it he may break out in spots a couple of days before we go or some days into the holiday. My friend has told me that they won't let us fly if he's got chicken pox. Does anyone know if this is true. Also, I believe it is supposed to be much worse for older children. I'm trying not to think about it but it would be awful if he was ill for most of the holiday. Has anybody got any advice? I know there's not much I can do except wait but this has really put a dampener on everything.
Tracy

:(

Sorrt to hear that Tracy,

If your son has been exposed before, then chances are that he won't get it this time either.
(when do you actualy fly?)

Chicken pox are worse for adults but in kids it's more of a minor discomfort, starting with small blister like spots but these soon burst and crust over, once they have done this they are no longer infectious.

From one mother to another, both my kids have had it (and everything else that's been going he he!) So try not to worry too much;)

there may be a slight fever and a little itching but apart from that Chicken Pox IMHO is only a minor disease,

If you are still worried, have a word with you're GP
Hope this helps a little,

Love Audrey,
xxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Children react differently to chicken pox. For instance, one of my neighbour's children was quite poorly being physically sick and other one felt OK. My daughter also caught it just afterwards and as I was almost expecting her to catch it I stocked up on calamine lotion. The first sign of it was when she just had a slight temperature and went straight to bed after coming home from school one day feeling really tired. When she woke up a couple of hours later she had a couple of spots on her back, which soon spread. Overall, she was OK in herself and didn't have that many spots. Thankfully, she didn't have any in her mouth, face or eyes. I was told that the real incubation period is when you don't know that they have it and just after the spots come out. Once the spots have scabbed over they should be alright. However, you do have to be careful with pregnant women, elderly and those with blood disorders ie, leukaemia's because of their white blood counts (I know you probably won't be asking people that question and can't tell, but just in case you do know someone with a blood disorder).

Hope this helps.

Kim

IMHO I dont think the airline would let you fly(sorry!), i recently watched airline and a little girl had broken out in chicken pox hours before they were supposed to fly home to britain,her mother and her had to stay in the country for another week untill the GP gave her the all clear, it also stated that only one member of the family is allowed to stay,it doesnt cover all members of the family on insurance, so her husband and 2 other children had to fly home without them(not sooo bad i guess if youre in florida at the time!).

Well thats the worst case scenario, chances are he will be okay,you would definatelty notice it within a week or so if he has it, by the sounds of it he has a good immune system if he has been exposed to it before and not caught it. I think speak to your GP who will probaly put your mind at rest.

Jules

Hi
Sorry to hear what has happened, I can understand how that would spoil things

1. Yes it is most infectious before the spots and is spread by droplets from the mouth (like a cold)

2. If he has any evidence of active chickenpox he will not be allowed to fly.

3. The only thing I can think of to get any more information would be a blood test of your son.
This would certainly show if he was already immune to chickenpox and therefore unlikely to get them, or if there was any evidence of an immune reaction suggesting that he was about to catch the virus - although it might be too early for a definite answer.
These tests are usually performed on pregnant women exposed to chickenpox but if your DS was willing I cannot see why he could not have them aswell
Speak to your own GP on Monday
Hope this helps
Chris

Thanks so much for the great advice. My son was in contact with the little boy two days before his spots came out. This was the infectious time. The little boy was already unwell eg sleepy and poor appetite. He was with him for several hours. I will go and see my GP for advice.
Thanks again
Tracy

Tracey - what a worry for you! I am sorry to hear this and do hope that your son hasnt been infected. The tests Chris suggests would be great if your Doctor agrees.

Do let us know the outcome wont you - I really hope it's all good news for you!

{{{Hugs}}}

Both my two have had CP - Katie got it first and wasnt too bad, she was about 12, but then James caught it straight after, he was 14 and was really ill.

Keep us posted.

Fingers crossed for you Tracy.

All I can say is let's hope that nothing appears (if it is going to appear!) until after you're there, a friend of mine's daughter was exposed and didn't catch it until the 21 days point.

After all, the vast majority of people aren't aware that they've been exposed to the virus and travel with no knowledge that they could be infected.

My two kids were only 'poorly' for a couple days and after that it was just irritating - I'd strongly suggest Mediced as a medicine for nightime if the worst does happen as it really helps them sleep if the itching is bad.

Astrid x

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better about it now. I'm hoping that if he does get it he will only have a mild dose. I'm trying not to let it spoil the excitement of the trip. I will see the doctor as soon as possible and see what he suggests. I'll let you know
Tracy

I saw the doctor today and he said that we don't have enough time to get a result back before the holiday. I'm afraid it's just a waiting game now. He verified that he would not be able to fly if the spots break out between now and Saturday. I'll keep you posted
Tracy

Oh dear.......... Well, fingers, toes and everything else crossed here Tracey - with a healthy dose of Pixie Dust thrown in for good measure ~~~**~~~

Keep us posted?

Tracey, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. It must be taking all the excitement away from you at the moment.

Hopefully he won't come down with it. My FIL has never had chickenpox (he's in his 70s) despite being exposed to it on numerous occassions, including his own children and grandchildren. Hope it's the same for your son.

Libby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter