• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! We are sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people are forgetting that WE ARE ALL EXPOSED TO GERMS EVERY DAY OF OUR LIVES. You might catch a germ flying in for your cruise. How many people fly SICK and you are on the same flight? You might get sick on day three of your cruise because of someone you sat close to on a plane.I know I hear people hacking and sneezing on flights I have been on. :scared1: Maybe your limo driver is sick when he takes you to the port. He didn't tell you and he handled your baggage. :eek: Your flight attendant is feeling under the weather, has a sore throat works because she does not have a fever... and finds out the next day she has STREP. You might catch something at the hotel you stay at before your cruise. There might be a person you come in contact with the day you board the ship that showed no signs of sickness and went about their merry way without you ever seeing them again, yet they got sick that night. You might get sick because you sat by them. Plus I am sure these cruises have international guests on them. There are some wicked bugs out there in foreign countries. I lived in Japan for 4 years... we had some stomach viruses I would never want to experience again.

My point.....if someone is ill with a fever/throwing up/flu/strep the day before their cruise or the day of...they should stay home. I get that. However you can't tell me that people who dish out big bucks for these cruises are going to report when their throats are a bit sore, their kid threw up the morning before their cruise, but was fine the rest of the day. Same goes for WDW, plenty of sick people touching stuff there. We are at risk every time we go to WDW. We all spend big bucks to take those trips. That is just the way things go in our world.

No one wants to spend 10,000 bucks on a cruise and get sick and not be able to go, and those that are on the cruises don't want their cruises ruined with sick people on board. Unfortunately there is NO WAY to prevent not coming in contact with germs with the risk of getting sick. Think of all the things you touch and come in contact with in your daily lives...........no matter how diligent we are with washing hands, using hand sanitizer, eating healthy.. we still get sick. It is just a risk we take in our day to day lives.

If I had a sinus infection or ear infection... I would go on a cruise. I might not fly to get there.. but I would go.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 what she said!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

:scared1:
I remember debating with myself about putting "yes" down on this for my first Disney cruise 2 years ago. My son gets terrible motion sickness and pretty much is guaranteed to vomit in a car or after a flight. I wanted to be honest, however, it was irrelevent. I did feel bad for like 5 minutes though because I put "no", but I soon got over it!

Funny you mentioned this. Our youngest son 12...almost did this very thing. We have never taken the ME ever. We did in Jan. When we took the bus to our resort... we were the first ones on, we sat up front. I don't do well on buses for a long ride if I am too far back. Well on the return to MCO, we sat about 2/3 back because we were the last resort picked up...stayed at OKW. Well we were almost to the airport and I saw him slump down and turn white and he thought he was going to puke big time. As soon as we got off the bus and into the airport...he was good within a few minutes. This is why I doubt we will take the Disney bus from the resort to the port. I think we will go with the car service we have always used. I would HATE to show up at the port and both he and I have motion sickness from the bus ride if we had to sit in the back. Then we might be sick from that.... and not be able to go on the ship.:scared1:

On our past three cruises, no one seemed to care about these forms. When we cruised on NCL, we filled out the form but it was never collected and I eventually tossed it when we got to our stateroom. :confused3

Since these forms are handed out on all cruise ships, I Googled to find the origin. It looks like they started having passengers fill them out in May, 2009 in response to the Swine Flu.

http://www.cruiseindustryfacts.com/...screening-protocols-to-protect-public-health/

On our past three cruises, no one seemed to care about these forms. When we cruised on NCL, we filled out the form but it was never collected and I eventually tossed it when we got to our stateroom. :confused3

Since these forms are handed out on all cruise ships, I Googled to find the origin. It looks like they started having passengers fill them out in May, 2009 in response to the Swine Flu.

http://www.cruiseindustryfacts.com/...screening-protocols-to-protect-public-health/

Have you cruised on DCL? I have never NOT had my form collected. Not only collected but questioned again at check in too. IIRC, they had the form at the time of our 1st Disney cruise, Feb 2007. Back then it was mostly concerned about vomiting/diarrhea. Since then, they've added some more symptoms to the form.

I don't think these forms are in response to swine flu. I filled them out on our first cruise back in 2004.

What some people aren't thinking about is that Disney isn't just concerned with whether you're contagious or not. Unlike general cold symptoms, fever is often a sign of something worse. They don't want you getting on the ship and getting sicker while you are stuck out at sea.

I was just reading a story from a DISer who talked about how his son had a fever before the cruise. He thought it was just a cold so he gave medicine to bring down the boy's fever and they boarded the ship. Later, on the ship, the son had seizures and stopped breathing. The ship had to turn around and go back to port as a result. So there can be more at stake than just spreading your germs.

That's obviously not an issue in THIS case, since the doctor gave his okay, but I just wanted to remind people that contagiousness is not the only issue. No one wants someone to get seriously ill out at sea.

I hope the original poster is feeling better!

So you're diagnosing OP with a contagious infection after her doctor said there was no chance of contagiousness?

Interesting. :lmao:

Maybe if you had read all the posts including mine you would see that I stated a sinus infection should not keep you from cruising, however some of the posts before she was diagnosed stated she should take medication before she boarded the ship and lie about her condition.

Have you cruised on DCL? I have never NOT had my form collected. Not only collected but questioned again at check in too. IIRC, they had the form at the time of our 1st Disney cruise, Feb 2007. Back then it was mostly concerned about vomiting/diarrhea. Since then, they've added some more symptoms to the form.

I can't remember what happened with the form at PC but in LA (2/20 MR cruise), I remember having my passports, online documentation, paperwork I received in the mail, etc. One by one, I handed the info over to the person checking me in. She checked my passports and then handed me them back again. The only thing left in my hand was the health form so I said, "Do you want this too?" and she took it. I don't think she even looked at the form.

ETA: I think (but I'm not 100% sure), at PC, I filled out the form at the counter when I checked in and when I was done, the CM took the form from me. With NCL, we were handed the form to fill out long before we got to the check in counter. With DCL in LA, there were tables (you can see them in trip report photos) where guests filled out the forms before they got in line to check in.

All sides have been heard and OP's questions have been answered....closing the thread before it gets more heated.

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter