Help waited too long! was Best Time and Way to book

Raya

DIS Veteran
Hello! I think we're ready to take the plunge and finally book an ABD vacation. We're thinking of the holiday cruise from Budapest to Germany.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/europe/river-cruise/daily-itinerary/holiday-budapest-arrival/

We're interested in a Cat C room, on the Dec 22, 2016 - Dec 29, 2016 tour. However, we have medical concerns that usually mean we shouldn't plan too far in advance. Also, I'm concerned that the itinerary may change.

What's the best time to book? And when that time comes what's the best way to book - does AAA, a travel agent, or direct with Disney give me any special perks?

Thank you!

I've booked our two trips way in advance, mainly because I want to make sure I get the lowest price possible. The trips only increase in price as more people book them. Both Dreams Unlimited and Small World Vacations offer small discounts (that are realized at the time you make your final payment) that are based on the total cost of your trip. AFAIK, Disney does not offer these discounts. I have found it very helpful to use an agent. When the time comes to book air, we will do so through her so that the cost of our airfare will be. We have not received any additional perks, and I was told by our agent that there is nothing currently being offered by Disney for a returning customer.

Last edited:
You should look at Dreams Unlimited Travel to book your ABD trip with. The agent that handles ABD trips is Kevin Klose and he is very knowledgeable on the program and is familiar with special arrangements for medical issues. In the blue menu bar near the top of this page, click on "Adventures by Disney" for their informative page.

We've booked 5 ABD's through them.

We are booked on the July 21 cruise. Due to the way our business works, annual income is always a guess for us. The upside is that you have until 90 days from sail date to pay in full. If you cancel, you do lose the deposit, but at least you are not out the whole expense. That made it doable for us to book in advance.

I'll echo what others have said about Kevin Klose at Dreams Unlimited. I completed our travel information and supplied a payment method on their web form. I then heard back from Kevin (everything is via email). He booked our trip with ABD and sent us the electronic agreement to sign and return directly to ABD. We were looking around to see where we could save a few dollars, and our trip was still considered early booking and eligible for a small discount.

Costco books as well. It is actually ABD that answers the phone when you call but you get a Costco rebate card after your trip, amount depends on cost of trip

Costco has the best rebate with 8% back on Costco cash cards. And you work directly with ABD for the entire booking/questions/etc.

Life got in the way and when I went to book last night *all of the cabins* are sold out. Can I get on the wait-list through Dreams Unlimited or am I better off calling Disney directly? How good are my chances of getting in via the wait-list? I'm kicking myself for not booking 2 weeks ago. :(

Life got in the way and when I went to book last night *all of the cabins* are sold out. Can I get on the wait-list through Dreams Unlimited or am I better off calling Disney directly? How good are my chances of getting in via the wait-list? I'm kicking myself for not booking 2 weeks ago. :(

We got on the central Europe last year from the wait list. I was calling ABD every couple of days for a few weeks and a spot for 2 opened on one of the calls. It does happen, so get your name on the list and ask them how many of the cabins have a paid deposit on them (many will hold a cabin and not put $$ on it).

FWIW although I use an agent to book our ABDs, when we went on the wait list I did it direct through ABD so I could call them every few days and follow up on our spot. I wouldn't expect an agent to do that for me. It depends on what you prefer.

FWIW although I use an agent to book our ABDs, when we went on the wait list I did it direct through ABD so I could call them every few days and follow up on our spot. I wouldn't expect an agent to do that for me. It depends on what you prefer.

The first travelista I called refused to create a waitlist because the most expensive cabins were still available. She was pretty useless about it. I called back immediately and got someone who put me on a waitlist for the level we wanted "c" and then put a 24 hour hold on the next level. The difference in cost would be about $2,000. She recommended booking that, but putting a note in our reservation that we wanted to move down if it was possible. I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. Does anyone have any experiences with that to share?

The first travelista I called refused to create a waitlist because the most expensive cabins were still available. She was pretty useless about it. I called back immediately and got someone who put me on a waitlist for the level we wanted "c" and then put a 24 hour hold on the next level. The difference in cost would be about $2,000. She recommended booking that, but putting a note in our reservation that we wanted to move down if it was possible. I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. Does anyone have any experiences with that to share?
The thing is, this is the first ABD where that would even be an issue. On all "normal" ABD's, you don't have different levels/costs because they either have space or they don't. You don't pay more for a better hotel room, everyone books that at the same level. And with the DCL cruise ABD add-ons, the cost of the ABD add-on is fixed, and you just book whatever cabin you want, independent of the ABD. So the river cruises are the very first time that there's actually different tiers/costs based on cabin level. So no-one is really going to have relevant experience on that.

We're all learning how this works since 2016 is the first season for the River Cruises. I know that on Disney Cruise Line, lots of people book cabins, and then cancel the reservation when Paid in Full time comes. But ABD requires a non-refundable deposit up front (it's totally refundable on DCL up until the Paid In Full date) so I don't think ABD would get quite as many cancellations as DCL at that point. But there's definitely a chance someone who booked might look at paying the whole sum, and switch trips or decide to eat the deposit. But that's going to be a while from now, as the Paid in Full dates for the Summer cruises won't be until next Spring, and for the Holiday cruises, probably won't be until a year from now.

I guess in my mind, the question is, how much do you really want to do one of these cruises? (Enough to pay $2000 more for it?) Or are you willing to lose your deposit if a category C doesn't come available?

Sayhello

Last edited:
Interestingly, I just booked my third ABD and this is the first time I was informed I was allowed to switch trips, so maybe people are switching if their dates aren't working out - thus not losing the deposits, which is awesome I think since I cannot always guess if I will get my desired vacation weeks so far ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter