Help w Parking and Stroller Issues

rncaduceus

Earning My Ears
Hello all.... I have a few questions for the those that have WDW experience. I have been planning and saving since my son's first bday to celebrate his fourth at WDW. We are leaving in 2 weeks. I have some medical issues involving physical restrictions and mobility issues... Currently having an exacerbation with pain and am doing everything not to aggravate it!!!... so as the date approaches I am getting more nervous. So I thought I would ask for some advice. The first week I am there by myself with my son, and then family joins me... they can help once they get there.

I should not lift anything over 5 lbs, and avoid bending, stooping & reaching etc... So after much debate I plan to visit guest services to request a card that will allow me to keep the stroller with me in an alternative line.... several reasons, i need the stroller for the support, i can't carry son, and to keep him strapped in so that he can not run from me... which he loves to do!!! Has anybody done this, and how did it work out for you?

The next issue is transportation.... i plan to utilize the magic bus to get the luggage to the hotel, get a shuttle to the car care center, pick up my car.... to avoid lugging the car seat & luggage around.

I am concerned about loading/unloading the stroller from my trunk. I will bring my own heavy duty stroller from home, the umbrellas are usually not the right height, not enought support for me, etc.... May pick one up while i am there just to use when we are going back and forth from the car and hotel. But for the most part I am gonna need to use my big heavy stroller. Are cast members available to assist in the park parking lots to assist with that sort of thing?

I do not have a handicapped sticker.... don't feel i need one in general, but I am concerned about parking at wdw esp MK. I really don't know the logistics of the whole MK parking lot, but I feel like I need to avoid the trams. It will be hard for me to unload the stroller, manage supplies, keep DS within arms reach and fold stroller down and load onto the tram, then vice versa when off loading. Does anyone have any advice on parking at MK to avoid the tram but not have to walk a mile to get to the park? What about the other parks, anything i should be aware of?

I have seen the AAA daimond parking passes on ebay and have considered getting one.... i know there is some risk there and it's not an absolute guarentee....Anyone used these before?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance!

Why are you renting a car. Using the bus would be much simpler. You can use the lift to get the stroller on the bus (most of them are kneeling buses and just have a small ramp) and then fold the stroller and sit in a seat.

Unless you are staying off-site (and by your using the Magic Express, it doesn't seem like it) I would just save the money and use the bus!!!

I agree with Piper. Make your life easier all the way around and use the Disney transportation and forego the car. Doing it this way, you avoid the lifting, are let off the bus close to the resort or park entrance. If you are worried that you won't get a seat, then you can always wait for the next bus, but if you are using the lift to get on the bus, you are loaded before everyone else.

The CM's are not allowed to help you lift things.

An idea to help you keep you son close to you is to get one those backpack child restraints. This will not allow your child to run off from you. They have very cute ones of a dog and a monkey and others. He could even carry a few things of his own in it and it would make him feel like a big boy. I know it worked well for our kids when they were small. They liked carrying the backpack. I think that would be easier for you in the long run. If the child is hooked to you, then he can't go too far.

You should stop at Guest Services in the park and ask for a stroller as a wheelchair tag for the stroller. This will allow you to keep the stroller with you in line.

I honestly would rethink the car and using Disney transportation. It would eliminate most of the things that you are worried about, such as lifting the stroller in and out of the trunk, being close to park entrances. I have used the buses with my scooter many times and it is very easy and convenient. Much more so in many ways than using a car when you have to lift things and and can't.

Thanks so much for your answers.....gives me some alternatives I would have overlooked.

The first week we are staying at Art of Animation (but had planned a few off site activities), the second week at a condo my mom rented in Kissammee.... the family wants to go to universal as well. So I will need the car, but that doesn't mean I have to use it!!! Very useful info about bus and lifts and loading process!!!!

I do have one of those monkey backpack restraints and plan on taking. I love the idea, but DS is very strong and when he is bored or anxious to do something he tends to pull on it which I can not tolerate. So, I can use it but, if he is in active mode it just doesn't work well for us. A leisure stroll its great.

That is exactly what I need the Wheelchair tag for stroller!!! I am assuming that with that sticker any where a wheelchair is permitted the stroller would then be permitted? That will be SO helpful. Does that mean that I will be able to keep it in line for meet and greets, rides, restaurants, etc? anywhere it will not be permitted?

So, how does keeping the stroller until the last minute work at the rides? Do they CM have a separate area closer to the ride where they are stored until you get off the ride? Or at the character M & G areas? Once we get to the front, I would want for DS to be able to get out and actually meet the character on foot and interact without being in the stroller.... Will there be a place to tuck the stroller to the side while he gets to meet and take photos etc?

If you go over to http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713, there is lots of information in there about doing Disney with a disability. It will probably answer most of the questions you have as to how and where a stroller as wheelchair tag can be used.

As far as the backpack, I would only use it at times where you need both hands for something else.

When you go to get the stroller as wheelchair tag, be sure to tell them that it is because of your disabilities and not your sons. Telling them about what you told us your limitations is, is what they need to know, not diagnosis. You could say something to the fact that due to my disability, I need to keep the stroller to aid me in walking and because I can't carry my son. Not something like I have degenerative disc disease. That tells the Cm nothing about what your needs are. By telling them your needs, they can then give you a card, along with the tag, that is available to accommodate you as best as they can.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. We will try to help as best as possible.

I have heard that having a doctor's letter explaining your situation is helpful when you get the stroller tag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter