Help w/ California post-cruise accomodations

luv that cruise

<font color=royalblue>Someone give me instructions
post-cruise we want to see disneyland for a few days and then beverly hills and hollywood (from a tour bus window would be fine with me!). Don't want to mess with renting a car so need suggestions on closest hotels. Figure we need one of the disneyland hotels but totally clueless on where to relocate to do beverly hills and hollywood. I know LA is huge and web sites can be misleading about location. I have a 9-year-old daughter who just has to "see" hollywood! Location more important than cost. If anyone can recommend tour company that would be great too.

As a So. Californian, I am always amazed at why tourists want to visit Hollywood. Every time my family and I visit the El Capitan theater to see a Disney exclusive movie I can't wait to get out of Hollywood. One time I took the subway from Union Station to Hollywood and walked two miles of Hollywood Blvd. and I thought I would not make it back alive. (Don't take the subway to Union Station but it does seem safe to take it from Grauman's to Universal Studios. You will then have to take a comlimentary bus up the hill the Universal Studios. I did feel safe using the subway here because there are more tourists and not the nuts walking the streets of Hollywood.) There are many strange people that walk the streets of Hollywood. Watch your wallet!! Anyways, if you must visit Hollywood please be careful and street wise. I'm sure that visitors admire Hollywood but much of the TV industry takes place in other cities. In terms of location, the Renaissance Hotel is right on top of the Kodak Center. This is where the Academy Awards show takes place. The Kodak theater is at the back of this multi story shopping complex. (Hollywood and Vine) Across the street is the El Capitan theater and to the west is Grauman's theater. The Roosevelt Hotel is very old but it is right across from Grauman's and is haunted by many deceased stars ( so they say.) There are many tour operators that will pick you up at several locations on Hollywood Blvd. As for Beverly Hills, I have not been there for years. According to the AAA guide book there is the Beverly Hill Trolley Tours that departs from jct. Rodeo Dr. and Dayton Way. Phone (310) 285-2438. You might want to take the NBC tour in Burbank (818) 840-3557 or the Warner Bros. Studio VIP Tour also in Burbank. (818) 972-8687.
Good luck and remember everything is somewhat expensive here is So. Cal.!

Ditto on the "why does anyone want to see Hollywood" theme from me; I lived in LA for 11 years and rarely went anywhere near "Hollyweird." We saw the Tarzan show & movie at the El Capitan a few years ago, and the subway wasn't finshed all the way through back then; it only went as far as Hollywood and Vine. We stayed in Anaheim, and parked at the Metrorail station in Norwalk and took the train and subway as far as we could, then walked to the El Capitan. Wouldn't want to do it again! Best part was all of the memorabilia stores with scripts, movie posters, etc. DH LOVED going in those stores.

HOWEVER,

Look on the internet for a company called Starline Tours. I believe they can pick you up at any hotel in Anaheim, if all you want is a bus tour. You may not need to relocate at all.

If you do relocate, the Universal hotels (Hilton & Sheraton) may be your best bets. You will be right at Universal Studios and there is a tram that takes you down the hill from the Universal Citywalk to the Metro station and you can take the train into Hollywood. However, check on the hours of the tram; when we saw The Lion King we stayed at the Hilton and getting to the Pantages was great with the tram and the train; but when we took the train back after the show, the tram had stopped running & we had to walk back up the hill to the Hilton. To get to any airport Supershuttle is probably your best bet.

Close? Don't think I can help you there. The Port is miles away from Anaheim, which is miles away from Hollywood, which is miles away from any airport. Good luck!

I have lived south of Hollywood forever and have only been there once and never want to go back. It's really a scary place. Watch your back if you are going to walk around. If you have to go, I would do a tour of some kind.

there are tips on accommodations and transportation for the disneyland california area if you go to that board under the DIS Discussion Forums.

I agree with everyone! Skip Hollywood and go to San Diego. Or stay in Orange County there is alot to do there.

Luckey

I'm also from Southern California. Before moving here, I also thought I wanted to see Hollywood. I'm not sure what I expected, but it sure was a big disappointment. It's filled with street bums. I'm pretty street smart (both my husband and I hold advanced belts in Karate), but we had kids with us and I was scared to death trying to watch out for them. If you really think you want to go there, have someone drive you down Hollywood Blvd. You will change your minds real fast. I don't think it's a place to expose kids to. There will be bums asking for handouts every 15 feet or so.

I agree. Stay at the Disneyland Hotels and take a day trip to Hollywood. My husband's company had their yearly party at the Renaissance Hotel (and this is a very fancy hotel) last year and we didn't attend because of the awful neighborhood. Universal Studios or a studio tour would give you a better feeling of the Hollywood mystique. Don't take public transportation from Disneyland to Hollywood. The subways, trolly buses, and regular buses are not safe!! Southern Californians always drive their own cars!!

Have to agree with the rest of the So Calif folks who are advising you to skip a walking tour of Hollywood. I have been there several times over the past couple of decades and I would not go there now. Hollywood and Highland is a nice place to visit and you can walk to several places as mentioned. Either take a tour bus or skip it. I have taken the subways to different places in Los Angeles with no problems, however, I have maps, know where I want to go, and have an attitude bigger than my backside!! :earseek: Public transportation in So Calif is not like it is in San Francisco. The hours vary, the fares vary based on the time of day you are using it, it is just too much hassle for a visitor to use. It isn't all that convenient for locals to use.

Just remember, we are not trying to rain on your parade, but want you to go home in the same condition you arrived. And if you are poorer, it's because Mickey got your money, not some thief!!!! pirate:

Laura

So... Anaheim is kinda, sorta close to hollywood?? I went there 15 years ago before children but have to admit my memory is clouded about where things were. We saw chinese theater, drove down Rodeo Drive and thru Beverly Hills where all those "folks selling maps" said the stars lived! While it is cool to say "been there done that" nothing really stands out. However, my daughter is 9 and I know it would mean a lot for her to see it. We will probably never get back to LA again and just want to show her what it's all about (or rather what the illusion of TV can create). Bottom line - can I take a tour from Anaheim?? Thanks for the info and you people who live there are the right people to answer my questions. I'm going to get a million hits if I try an internet search. Looking for someone to tell me, from a local's perspective, who to call to see the sights - I guess you could say the dime tour that will give the 9 year old the illusion that she has experienced hollywood and beverly hills!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter