Help us decide Value or Moderate

DisneyHoneyMoon

Mouseketeer
Well I've been to Disney ~10 times and all of those were either in Moderates or "Buena Vista" style hotels...also "Dad" was paying for those. Anyhow, my wife and I went on our honeymoon to the World in December and stayed at PORFQ. We're planning another trip in August and we're trying to decide whether we should go Value or Moderate.
She says we're hardly ever in the room anyways, so why not save the money. What she really means is, how bad could it be? I made the mistake of getting a room at a "Days Inn" on a separate vacation one time and she freaked out because it was "dirty". So are we going to be okay at a "Value" or not? If so, which one would you suggest?

I read a thread below on ASMO and was disgusted by the "blood and hairs" found on the sheets. So don't hold back, we're not looking for any surprises.

Please help a young Disney Addict who is trying to convert his wife to Disney.

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

Stay @ a moderate if you can afford it! I stayed @ Pop Century this January. It wasn't bad, but definitely not worth rack rate. Luckily I paid $55/night. I wouldn't pay a penny more than that, though....

I would do the mod if you can afford it. I got POFQ with a discount code for my trip in June - $79 a night!!

I would not pay more than $69 a night for a value before I considered a mod. I agree that you don't stay in the room much, but I am a light sleeper and do not care for the "motel-style" sounds of values. I do not think they are bad at all and I was going to do PC if I could not get a code, but I truly feel like a mod is the better way to go if you can afford it.

When I did my taxes, I decided it was affordable. :)

I would suggest a moderate!! Especially since you say you are trying to convert her to Disney.
I would not take a risk on the values... I think they can be hit or miss.

Well, since you've already stayed at POFQ - if you can afford a moderate I'd try the CSR. It gets great reviews on this board and it just may convert your wife.

Immaculate rooms are probably hit or miss wherever you stay, value or moderate or deluxe. :sunny:

Lat year I was trying to make the same decision. I previously stayed at POFQ on my honeymoon (13 years ago) and CBR. I loved both these places. Last year I decided to try Pop Century and I couldn't believe how much I likd this place. Although it's a value resort, I actually liked it better then the two moderates I stayed at. I really enjoyed my stay. I didn't feel like I was at a cheaper place at all. Plus the extra money went to going to restaurants and souviners.

I can't say enough good things about this resort. My stay was truly magical.
Try Pop Century you will not be sorry. The place is Fun and colorful. It really puts a smile on your face. Hopefully I will be going back this year.

Good Luck.

I have never stayed at a moderate but I did stay at BCV in June. We had expected to love it but most of the time we wished we were back at the All Stars. The All Stars have much more casual feel and we thought they were much more convinent. Busses were closer, food was better, etc. I wouldn't be afraid to give the values a try.

Well, if you do go value I would suggest Pop. It's barely a year old and the rooms are still clean and bright. If your DW likes more quiet relaxed places then go POR. But if she likes more of a party atmosphere then POP will be enjoyable. DH and I like both POP and POR, for those different reasons.

If she is a fan of the characters All Star Movies would be a good choice. I think it has a fun feel to it. When we stay at the Swan (my personal favorite) DD always asks when we are going to the "Disney" hotel. So we switch off between it and the Swan. You know truthfully I like them both. They are different but both good. The values are all bright and busy fun and you feel like your in the middle of Disney all day, while the Swan you feel like you have retreated to a special quite restful place. Neither is better just different. Try to think about what you want from the hotel and that will help you decide. As to dirty, that is never acceptable in any hotel (although it does happen in all of them) go directly to the front desk and ask for a new room.

I've also stayed at both Value and Mod and I like them both for different reasons. See what your DW would like more, peace and quiet or a party atmosphere. The values are definitely NOT quiet places but are very fun, the moderates are more relaxing. You are a young couple so I would suggest POR or POFQ because of their proximity to DTD, I hear the boat to DTD is very nice. Have a wonderful trip, I'm sure you'll have fun whereever you decide to go. Have a Disney Day :earsgirl:

The only real diffrence I found from being in a Moderate hotel to a value is this - you only have one sink ( When I was at the CBR my room had two)
Its a bit smaller and there was no mini bar in the room.

That's it. My DH is in the same mind, were on Disney Property which we will never go off of again and were saving money. If you dont plan on spending a lot of time in your resort but want the perks of the disney experience than do it.

Sara

DisneyHoneyMoon said:
I read a thread below on ASMO and was disgusted by the "blood and hairs" found on the sheets. So don't hold back, we're not looking for any surprises.

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

Well, I had a friend stay at ASMo and she hated it, said she would never stay there again! It was dirty! Then had a friend spend $400 a night for Poly and she said she HATED it, would never stay there again....it was DIRTY! So, I don't think it is a Value thing. We were just at ASMo and LOVED it, found nothing dirty at all and are going back to POP. I would suggest POP though, since it is newer and less likely to have built up dirt or worn out bedding, etc.

bytheblood said:
but I am a light sleeper and do not care for the "motel-style" sounds of values. :)

When did the Moderates not become the "motel-style" that they are??? They are really the same as the Values in that sense and kids running around (believe me we had them in November the night we stayed there) outside of them are just as noisy.

I vote for a Moderate for the OP though, as you can't go wrong with one. They are a bit nicer overall, but so much more spread out. We will never go to a moderate again over a value, not worth the money to us. But that is us.

msr709 said:
See what your DW would like more, peace and quiet or a party atmosphere. The values are definitely NOT quiet places but are very fun, the moderates are more relaxing. :

When is the OP going? We were just there, on MKJr weekend and the place was packed, but it was no party atmosphere or noisy at all! Of course it was cold and the pools weren't being used at all. When we were at POR two years ago, it was warm enough for the pools and it was packed and very loud. Of course it is away from the buildings, so it didnt' bother anyone in their rooms I would guess.

MrsJ Henry said:
I would suggest a moderate!! Especially since you say you are trying to convert her to Disney.
I would not take a risk on the values... I think they can be hit or miss.

ITA here! We were cruising this past November and stayed the night prior at POR. We only stayed there over a Value so we wouldn't scare my mother off from any potential future Disney visits! She didn't like POR though, due to the mile long walk (and VERY confusing) to the main building. It is SO spread out! We were as far as we could have been from it.

If you are just there to sleep, I would do the value resorts. First we stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter in 2003 and loved it because it was so peaceful. We just got back from an 8-day stay at All Star Music. While the rooms were as clean as the French Quarter, the dining area and swimming area were really congested and this was not during a peak season. If I could afford it, I would get the moderate resort. If you don't mind the crowds, then do the value resorts. If you want a peaceful resort, go moderate.

I've stayed at 3 values and CBR. Each has good and bad points. I found the walks on the grounds at CBR to be very romantic and beautiful -- don't get that at a value. The CBR room was a little larger, had a slightly larger bath and the double sinks. For just the 2 of you, this might not matter. When we stayed at Pop, were were given a room with a king bed and we loved it. The room felt huge to us. You can also check the on-line sights for rates at the Swan and Dolphin. We have booked the Swan for just a couple of dollars more per night than CBR--and it is definately worth it.

I stayed at Pop Century and absolutely LOVED it. I read some horror stories beforehand and almost changed my ressies to a mod. I'm so glad I didn't change it and gave the value a chance! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter