HELP! TO buy, or not to buy at SSR

KJ and Crew

Mouseketeer
We've only stayed on-site once, and we fell in love with WDW. Can't wait to go back! Upon researching online, we found 250 points for SSR, resale at a very low price... sure, WDW could exercise ROFR, but IF it goes through...

Our questions are:

1. CAN we trade for other resorts within that 7 month window? We really want to try Kidani, BLT, and THV during the off seasons (Jan, Oct, Nov) but would hate to find everything "booked."

2. SSR is not my top choice, but it does look lovely. I'm disappointed in the location, which seems kinda far out and lacks a kids club. Anyone just LOVE SSR? Perks?

3. 45 years more of WDW vacations! Really? Who has gone for many years and what are the pros and cons?

4. How difficult is it to rent your points if you can't use them? Will we be able to do this?

Thanks for your help!!! I appreciate ALL opinions (positive and negative). Thanks!!

KJ

You can certainly trade out to other resorts at 7 months. However, off times for DVC are not always the same as off times for the parks.

BCV and BWV are very hard to get 7 months out in October and VWL and most likely, BLT may be difficult from Thanksgiving through New Years.

I believe that you should buy where you want to stay or at the very least, don't buy where you don't want to be. While many people on the boards have great luck at 7 months out, I have read from some who have a very hard time getting other reservations.

SSR, by far, is the best deal in terms of cost. But, if you are not going to be very happy there, if you end up there a lot, then I don't think it is worth it.

I own at VWL and BLT. I bought VWL (my 2nd choice) so that I could add on at BLT with less points. But once I started planning my vacation and realized that I had to book split stays from the start, I realized that I really wanted to be at BLT (my 1st choice) and am selling VWL so I can just re-buy all my points at BLT.

I know that getting BLT at 7 months is going to be possible, but I don't want to chance it--especially since I want to stay standard view most of the time.

I think most important is to decide between the cost difference between SSR and someplace else you might want to stay and decide if it is really worth the savings.

For me, the extra $4000 or so I am spending to own BLT is more than worth it since I know that I will always be at the resort I will be the most happiest.

Of course, if you don't see yourself booking before the 7 months most of the time, then I say go for SSR!!!

Good luck!!

All the DVC resorts are awesome in their own way, and I like staying at all of them. I have stayed at every resort except BLT and have really not found the 7 month booking window to be much of an issue. I do stay during the busy times and find if you call right at the 7 month mark you can have great success. It is hard to pass up on the $7000 to $8000 savings you will get on buying this contract vs buying AKL or BLT. Just my opinion though as there is nothing wrong with buying the new resorts if you that is what you choose. :)

Our questions are:

1. CAN we trade for other resorts within that 7 month window? We really want to try Kidani, BLT, and THV during the off seasons (Jan, Oct, Nov) but would hate to find everything "booked."

Three comments:

1. For DVC, off-season=the hardest time to get reservations. When points are low, demand is HIGH.

October and November (F&W, MNSSHP,MVMCP) are notoriously difficult at 7 months. Not impossible, just difficult. You've got MUCH better chances getting 7 month reservations in the summer.

2. Kidani and BLT are likely to be difficult at 7 months. Not impossible, but challenging. We got Jambo at 7-months, but a WL for Kidani never came through.

3. THV is a part of SSR - if you are wanting to stay in a treehouse, you better own SSR points. IMHO, those treehouses are going to be the single hardest reservation to get at 7-months.

We own at SSR and AKV. Love them both. If I could have more points at any resort, I'd want SSR points for the treehouses. :cool1: We have not had trouble using our SSR points to book elsewhere - but we travel during the summer and are very flexible. We've stayed in every DVC - most more than once.

My first attempt at the seven month window was successful. We were able to get into the Boardwalk at that time. So, with that said, my perspective is a bit different. I would say go for price since you can trade into anywhere, but I can see why someone would say otherwise. If prices were all the same, I would obviously say to buy where you want to be.

We own at SSR and just did an add on there because we found one of those deals we couldn't refuse :happytv: as stated THV are part of SSR and I agree they are going to be really tough to get - which was another reason we added on there. The savings and the fact that we LOVE :love: Disney no matter where we stay were our factors. We have so far tried VWL and OKW and had no problem with either. We have recently begun renting a car - due to a tempermental 2 year old:eek: and for the sake of others on the buses!!! We have found that it is only a 5 minute drive to anywhere!!!! We do still take the bus to MK because of the TTC transfer - there is no time saving driving then parking then getting on the monorail or boat.................anyway my thoughts only!!!! Hope it helps!!

If your travel times are flexible I would buy SSR at resale. There are some very low prices getting pass ROFR and your MFs are very reasonable. I was able to get a Kidani one bedroom with my SSR points for June 13-20. Just remember that WLV and BCV are always going to be a challenge at 7 month. Nobody knows for sure yet but I believe GCV will also be a challenge at 7 months. If you want the THV you will need SSR points to book before 7 months.

I'll take a crack at addressing your 3rd question. I've been going to Disney since the 1950's (can document 1957, my sister thinks it may have been earlier). One of the main reasons I finally bought into DVC is that I am now in my 60's and getting a little creaky. I know I will always enjoy the imagination, magic, and fireworks at WDW, but it will be a lot easier for me to have the separate transportation option of the buses (we're close enough to drive, but may need to split up sometimes). And if there's a day I don't feel up to doing the parks, I can just chill out on the balcony/patio or by the pool and have a lovely time. I've loved taking my DD, and now also my DGS, and am looking forward to several more trips with them -- and then they will still have some more trips to enjoy and remember our times being there together. There are always different things to see and do -- we never get it all done in one or two trips, and they do keep adding/changing things.

I'm going to use some points for a nostalgic return to Disneyland in January, and also hope to visit some of the other DVC resorts that are in process.

So, if you're likely to return every 2-3 years and can afford all the other costs of a WDW trip as well, I'd say go for it!

Oh -- you will want to read a lot of the threads about resale purchases. One recommendation is often that it is better to have smaller contracts in case you do ever want to sell off some points; it adds a little more cost up front, but gives you more flexibility for resale and inheritance. And if you're not going every year, you can utilize banking and borrowing, so you may not need as many points.

Thank you, thank you all! Your feedback has made us REALLY want to keep this contract... :goodvibes We have to send in the paperwork by next Monday, so I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the insight!! :thumbsup2

I'd just add that since you seem uncertain about how much you'd really like SSR then you may want to consider contract with less points and then as other posters here have suggested add-on contract(s) of additional points at different DVC resort(s) and it is helpful too if you wish to sell off a contract in the future or for inheritance purposes. With banking and/or borrowing you can have double allotment of points to use every other year or every third year and owning at different resorts will give you 11 month Home Resort booking advantage at the resort those points are tied to so you'd have less stress thinking about switching to a resort you like better at 7 months ( you many combine points from different resorts at 7 month booking window if you needed to use points from more than one Home Resort to make the reservations).

Once you buy into DVC you can add-on points directly through Disney (25 pt minimum by cash or 50 pt min if you want Disney's financing) at either the Home Resort you own at or at any other DVC resort you'd like to also own at & there aren't any closing costs/fees for add-on's thru Dis. You can also add on more points by purchasing additional resale contracts but that would take finding a resale with the same Use Year (month) as your first contract & it'd need to be titled exactly as your first to be listed as an add-on & you'd pay closing costs/fees ( a little bit more effort than purchasing an add-on direct through Disney but definitely do-able ).

btw, in your post you state " no kids club " at SSR - - did you mean the evening child sitting such as Neverland Club at Polynesian ? if yes, then you are right SSR doesn't offer that but there is in-room sitting through Kids Night Out ( iirc think this is service recommended by Disney for in-room sitters ).
If you meant a Community Hall with activities kids can do either on their own or organized by a Cast Member during day SSR does have that available at main pool (High Rock Springs).

Best wishes :goodvibes

I think if you've only stayed onsite once, then you will be spoiled by SSR. Though not my 1st choice, the sale prices really make it worth it. You get so much more out of your purchase.

Congratulations on your purchase!!

We just went through the same thinking process that you sound like you are going through. We ended up buying as SSR because of the cost. It looks like a beautiful resort and I will not mind staying there at all. I do want to try other resorts when I can. Our closing was completed last week and our points were entered in the system this past Wed. I called that day to book our planned Nov stay. We did not get our first choice of BLT but we were able to book our second choice of VWL and that was calling 5 1/2 months out for mid Nov. The treehouse villas are another reason that we love to call SSR our home resort. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for posting your experience! You're right, we are in the same boat... after more research about SSR, it looks beautiful, and the THV are an amazing bonus! =)

If you buy resale and already own a contract, it does not have to be the same use year. We have a June use year from our Disney purchase in 99, and an August one from a resale years later. When we purchased BLT recently from Disney, they added it onto our August use year, not the June one so it doesn't really seem to matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter