Help! The dreaded packing to disembark

I don't think I saw it mentioned that you can call GS and a CM will bring a travel scale to your stateroom and weigh your bags.

Just curious... Are people adding that much stuff to suitcases - or starting with them that close to the limit - that re-weighing is a concern?

Many people do, dug. And sometimes you can be close with each bag, so if you mis-pack you'll be too heavy in one bag and lighter than before with another.

Since DH usually has some sort of free baggage allowance (the United Gold days of three bags each and each could be up to 75 lbs were wild but he hasn't been that for a year) so as long as we book with him or using his united miles (alaska doesn't give miles-users the baggage allowance) we get plenty of bags and don't come close to the weight allowance. Others have to take fewer bags but still pack for often-long vacations and sometimes several people, so it can get close.

Many people do, dug. And sometimes you can be close with each bag, so if you mis-pack you'll be too heavy in one bag and lighter than before with another.

Since DH usually has some sort of free baggage allowance (the United Gold days of three bags each and each could be up to 75 lbs were wild but he hasn't been that for a year) so as long as we book with him or using his united miles (alaska doesn't give miles-users the baggage allowance) we get plenty of bags and don't come close to the weight allowance. Others have to take fewer bags but still pack for often-long vacations and sometimes several people, so it can get close.

Gotcha. I guess I've never been close enough to worry about it - even on week+ trips.

I love using the travel space saver bags for dirty clothes! I don't like having dirty and clean laundry in the same space and it makes room for souvenirs! Packing cubes are also great for organizing and unpacking as I will just throw a whole cube in a drawer

Just curious... Are people adding that much stuff to suitcases - or starting with them that close to the limit - that re-weighing is a concern?

On a 7-night we have 4 suitcases and multiple carry ons. We usually drive to the port, but when we do fly my concern is making sure I distribute the weight evenly.

On a 7-night we have 4 suitcases and multiple carry ons. We usually drive to the port, but when we do fly my concern is making sure I distribute the weight evenly.

Gotcha. Even when I was growing up we each had our own case with our stuff. So the whole combining things is a new concept to me.

Gotcha. Even when I was growing up we each had our own case with our stuff. So the whole combining things is a new concept to me.

I guess it just depends on the season of your life and the type of trip you are taking. Since I have two little kids and often take trips where we are driving and doing overnights at this hotel, that hotel, grandmas, etc, I often find it more practical to combine everybodys stuff by day needed as opposed to carrying in 4 suitcases for the night. I certainly will enjoy when my kids can be responsible for their own stuff in their own suitcase, but we aren't there yet!

Also airline fees have people changing the way they do things compared to how things were done when we were kids dug.

Last edited:
I've never just sent bags to airline. I leave big bags out st night and keep small one for shampoos, etc. pjs and clean clothes. Then we pick up bags the next day at customs and just take them to bus. That way we can check whatever we need to at airport. And for packing purposes like others have said, I just throw it all in. With clean clothes on top. Then when we get home, some goes to dry cleaners and others into laundry room.

I distribute everybody's stuff in several suitcases when packing because we've learned the hard way that luggage may not end up where you end up all the time. So if one suitcase is missing, we all have stuff in another one to get us through a few days. Live and learn....

So if one suitcase is missing, we all have stuff in another one to get us through a few days. Live and learn....
Exactly. DH & I usually travel with 2 suitcases. Each one has enough clothes for both of us to get through 2-3 days.

I distribute everybody's stuff in several suitcases when packing because we've learned the hard way that luggage may not end up where you end up all the time. So if one suitcase is missing, we all have stuff in another one to get us through a few days. Live and learn....

When you're solo there isn't an option. :)

Idea: you could ship a box of clothes you won't need for the cruise home from your hotel at WDW. Lessens the amount you're trying to juggle in your stateroom.

As far as the cruise: we had 2 adults and 2 teen boys that are built like adults in one stateroom in 2013. We unpacked everything, and then each person put their dirty clothes in their suitcase as we went. On the last day, I had a "repacking" (fold it up) party for about an hour in the afternoon, and then I really didn't have much to do that night. We've used this strategy before - it works well for us...

I keep all dirty clothes in one section of my suitcase, when close to moving on, I put those in compression bag to take up less room, and I have clean also in compression, so I keep dirty on left side and clean on right. Side.

You wouldn't combine, but you could still distribute among two bags, so that if a bag goes on a separate vacation than you you still have *something*. :)

Dealing with the subway (which means stairs) I pretty much do one bag. You learn to adapt when you don't do cars.

:) Fine, Beth, put all your clothing in one bag. :) But don't check your running gear! Running in Alaska won't be fun without shoes, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter